“Really lovely food in a beautiful spot”
Review of The Boatman

The Boatman
Reserve with OpenTable
The Boatman is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 249 Restaurants in Windsor
Price range: US$14 - US$56
Description: The Boatman is proud to be Windsor's only proper pub on The Thames with uninterrupted views of the river overlooking Eton Bridge and the fascinating waterfront life. The Boatman has an all-weather terrace with a retractable roof in case of inclement weather and its extensive outside area offers seating for up to 100 people - the perfect place for enjoying both sunny days and otherwise! The stylish inside decor combines traditional pub charm with a modern, quirky vibe which provides a relaxed place to eat, drink and socialise. It's magical at night with sparkly lights and the shimmering reflections from the river. The Boatman restaurant and pub also provides a great space for private events for up to 80 people ad their chef can create a range of menus tailored for any event - corporate, private party or wedding! The friendly Boatman team offers a menu and bar which is full to the brim with classic freshly cooked food, great wine, a fabulous choice of cider and beer, all served with opens arms and a friendly smile. The Boatman is a dog-friendly pub and your four-legged friend can enjoy treats, water and attention whilst you enjoy a drink or a meal. They are also a family-friendly pub and restaurant with a delicious children's menu and high-chairs if you need them. There is also plenty of space for pushchairs. So if you're looking for restaurants in Windsor, pubs in Windsor or places to eat in Windsor, come visit The Boatman. You'll find it just behind Windsor and Eton Riverside Station by the river, just down from Eton Bridge (also known as Windsor bridge depending on where you live!)
Reviewed 8 December 2017

Just had a wonderful christmas work meal in the beautiful conversatory overlooking the thames. Really tasty food in a lovely atmosphere with really friendly and efficient staff. Very good indeed. Emma and Isabel really looked after us.

2  Thank Maria C
Rose_Em_Isabel, Front Office Manager at The Boatman, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Dear Maria,
Isabel and I wish to express our thanks for your recent visit, when it was a pleasure to look after you, and likewise we greatly appreciate your personal praise. It is so nice to note how much you enjoyed your experience and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas from everyone at The Boatman.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

The Boatman is a Ideal Place To Eat right by the river have visited several times the food is always good but always benefits from the better weather as dining outside is a must. Has an outdoor covered area as well

2  Thank Robert U

Dear Robert,
Thank you so much for your frequent visits to The Boatman, I am really pleased you enjoy our food, and furthermore that you chose to compliment us about it.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas from everyone at The Boatman.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

You cannot beat this location! Sitting in their veranda watching the boats go by is just a stunning way to spend an afternoon or evening. Staff were delightful when we visited, despite having a slightly noisy crowd with one young toddler. Staff really looked after him, brought him toys, let him tear serviettes -they really couldn’t have been nicer.
Beer was fine, wine selection very good, only slight disappointment was the food on the night, but the. They did squeeze us in in a very busy Saturday night, so no real complaints. If i had the time and money, i’d go here every night.

Rose_Em_Isabel, Front Office Manager at The Boatman, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Dear Mikie,
Thank you so much for your visit, and of course for taking the time to write about it. I am elated that you had such a lovely Saturday night, however I would like to apologise for your slight disappointment concerning the food that evening, and I do hope that you mentioned this to the staff on shift, who would have been very happy to attend to any issues that you may have had. Despite this, if you 'had the time and money' you would still 'go here every night' - and I thank you for the superb compliment!
Wishing you a very MeRy Christmas from everyone at The Boatman!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Went to private do here last weekend in their lovely "gazebo" by the river. The finger buffet was great but what stood out was the service from Emma & Gaby who were efficient, polite and friendly. Will definitely be going back for lunch or dinner. Shame we couldn't moor our boat right outside but then you can't have everything!! GINO

Hello Gino!
It was so nice to meet you, your wife and your friends last Friday night, and I am glad that you enjoyed the buffet. Furthermore, Gaby and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and extending us your personal praise. We do look forward to welcoming you back, and yes, I do agree that it is a shame about the lack of mooring on our doorstep!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas from everyone at The Boatman!

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Visited as part of a large group (40 ish), we sat in the outside conservatory which was really nice and they have heaters if it’s cold. We were served drinks quickly and after a very long initial wait the food was served in a very efficient way. All the food was pre ordered but was an excellent quality. The people that had lamb all said it was cooked perfectly. A great night. The only thing that was disappointing and unnecessary was at the end of the night one of the waitresses begging two of the group to give five stars on trip advisor, writing her name down for them and also giving them kisses. Which was cringing to watch. And neither of them do trip advisor. Totally not needed and a bit desperate. The food and service stands on its own merit and was very good.

2  Thank BobBlogger

Dear Darren,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your evening with us the other night. It was wonderful to note that the food was of an 'excellent quality' and likewise that the lamb was 'cooked perfectly', making for a 'great night'. I am so pleased. However, I must address your other comments forthwith.
As I am in charge of the TripAdvisor account, I make it my business to ensure that all of our guests have a nice time, and yes, I do ask whether they go on TripAdvisor, and if the answer is the affirmative, I politely request if the guest would be kind enough to write us a review, as and when it is convenient for them. Now let me CATEGORICALLY STATE that I absolutely NEVER beg.. EVER. I do not need to; but I do make my requests warmly and enthusiastically, and as I am Continental I often give a kiss of thanks and I am sorry that this made you cringe.. Perhaps I should have kissed you Darren?!!! Likewise I NEVER ask for 5 stars; EVER, but I do state verbatim: 'I hope that we are worthy of 5 stars, but of course it is completely your choice what rating you choose to give us'. This is my final opportunity to find out if the guest had any problems, or has any issues they wish to mention before they leave, rather than vent their frustrations on here where my redress is limited. If the guest advises that they do not go on TripAdvisor, then I do not ask for a review. No way. I sincerely appreciate that people have busy lives and I do not expect them to go and download the TripAdvisor App just to write us a review. I cannot help if the two individuals you mentioned, who do not go on TripAdvisor, perhaps felt pressured to say yes because it was a company event, and moreover because the boss was asking me to hand out the cards to everyone. Had they said 'No', I would not have presented them with a TripAdvisor card because I NEVER push. It's not my style and it's not how I operate. I am a vivacious, kind, emotional and genuine person and I have to say that I am rather taken aback by your comments. I always write down the members of staff who attended the table as it is a nice pat on the back for them, so it is a shame that your perspective on this was rather different, accusing me of being desperate. Wow. wow. wow. Interestingly enough, when I used to simply hand out the TripAdvisor cards, guests always asked me for my name, hence I began writing it, as well as those of others who also assisted. I will of course accept your opinion for what it is, and as it is the season to be jolly, I will wish you a little more Christmas cheer, and perhaps a little less Bah Humbug.
Kindest regards,