1,609 results
All reviewspotting shedgarden roomsplendid roomspa treatmentsrose cottagespa areagarden restaurantoutdoor jacuzzigreat spasteam roomjourney homecomfy roomturn down serviceattention to detailthe main houseflip flopshomemade biscuits
Reviewed 16 August 2018

Solo day Spa experience Incredibly relaxing, staff very attentive didn’t feel uncomfortable being a female alone with a lot of couples using the facilities. Also, Spa treatments tailored to accommodate medical conditions and had the most amazing nights sleep following visit!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

I never usually leave reviews, but I felt like I had to after our experience at Dormy House.

Firstly, the spa is beautiful - a real treat and wonderfully luxurious. We fortunately booked appointments in advance which is a must (and they should tell you this on booking) as the hotel really doesn’t have much else to it, so if you are looking for a break away and you can’t get an appointment you will be sorely disappointed.

The only other things that the hotel has is 2 restaurants - the garden room and the potting shed. The former markets itself as the more upmarket variant and the latter a ‘gastropub’ (there really is nothing else!). Given that the hotel had so little in terms of facilities,’ we were incredibly surprised that on Monday night there was no availability to eat at either restaurant. Recognising that there might be a capacity issue and understanding that this can be a problem, we suggested eating in the lounge area where food is served until 6pm usually. We were refused this option entirely.

We were surprised that it was considered acceptable for a supposedly luxury hotel to fail to provide its hotel residents with a place to eat for supper when they are paying in excess of £400 a night. Really unacceptable. When I raised this, I was reassured that the manager would come and speak to us, but absolutely no effort was made by management at all. It is such a shame that such a lovely little hotel was ruined by haughty and unaccommodating service.

I would like to reiterate that the spa staff were an absolute delight and many of the staff serving at breakfast and in the garden room were also delightful - it was just sorely let down by the service in the lounge area and the potting shed.

4  Thank Kimberley V
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Was bought this as a special treat from my husband for my birthday last year. He got me a voucher for an intimate room with bed and breakfast, and was certainly not cheap. They very kindly let me extend the voucher expiry by one day, as having a new baby this year, finding a date that would work was very challenging.

This place is beautiful and our intimate room, although smaller, was lovely. Lovely coffee machine and tablet in room to order fresh milk, make enquiries etc was great.

All staff were very polite and was a very calm atmosphere throughout. Service is clearly of very high importance here and it's something we've not experienced to this standard before.

However, for the incredibly high price and for the high-end image they are striving to demonstrate..there are things that let it down. (At a much cheaper price tag, they wouldn't remotely bother me)

In our room, we woke around 7am due to so much light coming through our velux window in the bathroom, as the door has a frosted glass window also. (Room 11) I'm unsure why you wouldn't have a blind fitted? Our pull out magnifying mirror had been previously broken and a free standing one left as a replacement. Our toiletries tray in the shower was missing an attachment so would wobble and come off when in use. There was small rip in our bed throw too.

The biggest let down was when we contacted reception for an iron. Clearly this iron hadn't been checked and something other than water had been put in the tank previously as it was unusable! It stuck to our clothes and has left a gluey stain on the inside of my husband's shirt. Reception were hugely apologetic but it really shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I was also there celebrating my birthday which I really don't expect anything for. (Although previous, much cheaper hotels have done something as a gesture to mark the occasion.) But the fact they ask this in the pre-arrival email..seems a tad pointless. Apart from a verbal happy birthday on check in, there was no further recognition of it.

Do not get me wrong, it's an incredible place and certainly not a place we can afford to go to easily, hence why we expected none of the issues we experienced. We would still hope to go back one day as it is really very special.

2  Thank Niki W
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

My wife and I attended for a last minute weekend away. The service we received was generally fine, but not what you would expect. The main issue we found was that despite being very remote as a location they couldn’t serve all their own guests a meal during dinner time unless booked well in advance (even at their informal “pub” location). It was quite striking for such a “luxury hotel” even when having 2 restaurants - which are often not open.

We of course suggested some alternatives such as eating in the lounge or in the other restaurant which was closed that night. But no flexibility was shown which was very disappointing and we literally could not get a meal in any restaurants or the bar

My advice for Dormy House is to prioritise hotel guests, especially with room prices so high or at least serve some food in the lounge. Hard to recommend this hotel otherwise

PS take care when booking that they don’t save space in the hotel spa for guests either

1  Thank BenPatrickLondon1
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

We booked a suite for the weekend for our wedding anniversary and weren’t disappointed. Staff very attentive from arrival- a lovely touch to be greeted at your car once parked! Checking in was easy and relaxed. Our suite was lovely, we didn’t use the lounge area so perhaps won’t have a suite on our next visit but it was beautifully designed and decorated. Very peaceful and quiet. My only disappointment - no black out blinds! Something I’d expect at a venue like this. We had dinner on site at the potting shed (delicious) and also had a trip to Fish for dinner.

1  Thank jenosn_jim