All reviews wine bar nooks and crannies oliver cromwell jacuzzi and steam room historical hotel deluxe room chewton glen original building bar grill coaching inn chicken pie lazy sunday main restaurant creaking floorboards public rooms are large bed nespresso machine
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Stayed here about two and a half years ago and liked it but felt it was not exceptional.Hotel has now had a brilliant makeover and we had a fabulous stay this time.
The hotel has a large car park as well as overflow parking but you might be better dropping off your bags first.
The staff on reception could not have been more welcoming and in fact we were given a tour of the bars,restaurants and lounges of which they are justifiably proud with the refurbishment.
There are no lifts but the hotel is a few hundred years old!
We were given a free upgrade and we had a lovely big room overlooking the courtyard which also had a fair size bathroom.(Room 55).
The breakfast room is large and "baronial" but very light and airy and staff again were friendly,quick and efficient.Very comprehensive choice of hot and cold food and fruit etc and all delicious.
Thanks for a lovely stay and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Jason A, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear PFogg7

Thank you for review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable experience with us, and that you also love the newly refurbished hotel. The dining room is certainly something else and we all really love it also.

Thank you again, and hopefully we will see you very soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

We have visited the area before, but this was our first 3 night stay at the Lygon Arms in Broadway.
We had an executive room , refurbished on the ground floor. We were delighted it opened into the courtyard garden, but the room was very dark, and painted dark green inside, including the ceiling ?? Also the air con could not be turned down below 19c., and we had a winter duvet and no top sheet.
The hotel is beautiful, plenty of indoor areas to sit.
We ate outside on 2 evenings, and there were only about 10-12 tables, which filled up by 7.00 for the night. Despite the 80 c heat, no additional tables or chairs were brought out, which would have been great.

On our first night we waited 25 minutes for a drink, after ordering it, and then ages for food. The food quality is very good, but the service lets them down badly- we had 5 staff attend us, none knew what the others had ordered for us. Not adequate when you pay c £90 for dinner.
We were told a function for 90 people had been prioritised- not what you expect when paying £300 per night.
I also expect an inclusive price with breakfast- not charged as an extra.!
We did enjoy the hotel, the breakfast was excellent, but please pay attention to the basics and we will come again!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MalcH57

Dear MalcH57

Thank you for your comments and feedback, I do of course take on board your constructive feedback and will relay back to the team and Managers. We don't add tables to the Courtyard as it is overlooked by residents in their rooms and too many people would cause to much noise, and of course we don't wish to disturb are residents who are trying to sleep later in the evening

I do hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Loved the time we spent here - looking forward to coming again. Nothing is too much trouble for attentive and friendly staff. A swanky place to chill out without being stuffy. First time our dog has stayed in a hotel and she was made to feel very welcome.
Our room was a good size for 3 of us (and the dog), beds were large, comfy and everything exceptionally clean.
Dinner and breakfast were good - particularly the sausages at breakfast - and we enjoyed the well stocked bar.
Unfortunately we were only able to stay one night but wish it could have been longer!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Jason A, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Dear Bev1e

Thank you for your lovely review and delighted we were able to exceeded your expectations, and I hope you and yoru dog is now suitably relaxed so you can all visit again very soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

Ever since reading about the extensive renovation a year or so, we have wanted to try the Lygon Arms, so we planned a 2 night weekend for the family: my husband and I, our son who was about to go back to the USA, my mother and my in-laws. This was a disappointing stay, especially for the spend. This hotel charges 5-star prices (we paid around £4k for our 4 rooms – various categories - for 2 nights), whilst delivering a 3-star product.

First issue was at check-in. The hotel had made an error with our bookings and the room categories we had confirmed were not allocated to us. Most annoyingly, the woman at check-in started by trying to persuade me this was my error. Anyone reading my reviews here and my TA profile will know that luxury travel is my passion. I research meticulously, read over T&Cs and know exactly what I book. Fast forward 20 minutes to the charming duty manager, Paul (he was very good), who admitted it was totally Lygon Arms' error made at the time of booking months ago. Oops but the problem was the hotel was now full, so my elderly in-laws had to stagger up a large flight of stairs and along a long corridor for their first night (we only became aware of this mix-up after they had got to their room and unpacked). My mother’s room was ludicrous. If that is “deluxe” then I shudder to think what a lower category room would be like.

Our room was a Courtyard Suite. These are in a new area and are well-appointed, modern and spacious with good-sized bathrooms. These are very different from the main part of the hotel - and this is important for future guests to know: there is a large variety of rooms and spaces and some are way better than others (for no/ negligible difference in price).Unless you are obsessed with cobweb-clad ancient nooks and crannies and hoping for an overnight haunting, then go new - these are the rooms to book.

We had dinner the first evening in the hotel. The dining-room was busy, and I had to request a larger table as they tried to give us a table for 4, tacking chairs at either end (this is a pet peeve of mine but took the biscuit when we are already paying for 4 rooms with 7 guests).
The starters were all fine but I had to send back my main course as the lemon sole reeked of chemicals. I didn’t want anything else (what was the point? Everyone else would have finished before my replacement dish arrived and I could taste chlorine or similar in my mouth for the next 20 minutes). No apology from the manager who removed the plate and no mention of it again. The dining room itself has an unpleasant atmosphere – very high barrel ceiling, cavernous feel and all hard surfaces – so sounds ricochet off the walls. None more so than at breakfast when almost every guest turns up at around 9am. Luckily, I managed to get us a quiet table in the lounge. But the breakfast was a shambles. A truly pitiful “continental breakfast” buffet selection including the most absurd and miserly fruit salad. It is Summer. Fruit is ripe and plentiful. The hotel is full, but all they had was some melon, orange and grapefruit segments.

Service was inexperienced but, at the wait staff level, very willing. Hats off to the young staff doing their best. I have no complaint about their efforts at all – they were all sweet and trying very hard– but they are under-trained and over-worked. Management needs some serious shaping up here (other than Paul).

As an aside, we had dinner the other night at Hook on the Farncombe Estate. This was good. Next time I’m in the area I will check out the main hotel there. Sorry Lygon Arms but much as the building oozes history and character the hotel product is inadequate for the prices charged. I won’t be back.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank TM99
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Very high end dinning. First visit was so go we came back the next day for more. The staff were very friendly and attentive but not in your face. If your planing a visit to Broadway this place is a must for a spot of lunch. Dont miss out.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Jason A, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Dear MShingy

Thank you for your kind words about the Lygon Bar & Grill, I am of course delighted you had an enjoyable lunch on both days. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon