“Potential stifled by miserable staff”

Octavo's Book Cafe & Wine Bar
Ranked #3 of 32 Dessert in Cardiff
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Description: Based in the heart of the creative quarter of Cardiff, Octavo's is a really friendly place to relax. The beautiful old Victorian former hotel is now a book shop, café and wine bar. It offers a range of delicious local food with plenty of vegetarian, vegan and gluten free items on the menu. The café has a lovely children's book area and is very family friendly. The book shop has a wide and ever changing range of titles, but it's never too much trouble to take customer orders and with a fast delivery service it's possible to get your books as soon as the following day. Octavo's has been shortlisted for Book Shop of the Year in 2017 & 2018 and is the ideal place to relax and browse.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Good location. Novel idea. Love the idea of association with book shop.
Lovely to see small reading groups for children and parents being supported.
lovely coffee but food took far too long to arrive.
Unfortunately the woman who seems to be in charge was miserable and a little rude.
Certainly wouldn’t entice me to visit again. With so much competition in the area they need to re insider staff attitudes. Shame because I feel it has real potential.

1  Thank angela s
OctavosBookCafe, Owner at Octavo's Book Cafe & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm extremely disappointed to hear that the staff appeared miserable. We often receive reviews about how warm the welcome is at Octavo's but we clearly failed when you visited. I will be talking to all the staff to ensure that every customers get the warm welcome and service they deserve. I do hope you'll return and give us a second chance.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Just popped in briefly for a small glass of red and a fag. The Malbec was very satisfyingly, better than most. The setting beautiful worked small bar bookshop café. Plenty of parents and children interacting with the written texts.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of Octavo's with other Tripadvisor member - it is much appreciated. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

First time here, but will definitely make a point of coming back.
Lovely, friendly service and such a good atmosphere.
Didn’t really know what to expect when we stumbled across the place, but everything was a great surprise. Warmth, friendly and great value for money.

What a lovely review! Many thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience of Octavo's with other travellers.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Very disappointing. When we walked in, the guy behind the bar didn't even acknowledge us, not a 'hello', or even a look. The evening menu (although it was only 4pm) was very poor, and the focaccia I ended up ordering was stale; it was certainly not today's focaccia. We mentioned it on the way out, and the ginger waitress gave us a somewhat indifferent 'sorry about that', when the offer of a refund or something more genuine would have been nicer. Certainly not recommended.

2  Thank garethlock

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I can only apologise that you were disappointed with the food and not offered a refund. I will be talking to all the staff to ensure they engage with your feedback and respond appropriately. We get many reviews about the warm welcome and friendly service so again, I can only apologise that we clearly failed to meet these standards when you visited.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Visited for a glass of wine and finish a bit of work. Felt like a massive in convenience to the blonde waitress. Why I stayed I don’t know the wine got pretty much slammed down on the table when I said thank you she had already managed to walk away quick enough. On leaving I said thank you and I just got the look of how I didn’t belong in there. Won’t be returning made me feel so awkward and embarrassed

1  Thank Kellisa_12

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience when you came to Octavo's. It is extremely disappointing as we mostly get comments about our warm welcome and the good atmosphere. I am taking this feedback very seriously and addressing the matter personally.