“Couple of days away!”

Add it.
The Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #557 of 1,318 Restaurants in Cardiff
Reviewed 12 September 2017

I stayed here with my 13 year old but had stayed here previously with my mum. The hotel is centrally located to all the shops, bars and restaurants so was ideal for us. The hotel reception is located up some steep stairs and then there is more stairs to the rest of the bedrooms. We were on the top floor and to say I was out of breath by getting to the top is an understatement. There are no lifts at all in this hotel. The hotel is very dated but we were not there to spend much time in the hotel so it was fine. Everything you need is in the room. TV, Free Wifi etc. And for the price of the hotel I cant really complain. The staff are really friendly and helpful. There is a Jazz Bar nextdoor which we were given tickets for 2 free drinks and 20% off our bill as I think it is part of the hotel. We went there and had a lovely time, the drinks were cheap for a city centre bar and the food was good. I would stay here again, but not on the top floor.

Simon6567, Owner at The Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thank you very much for your review.
It was a pleasure to welcome you back again.
I do agree that the stairs can be difficult. Higher up is much quieter but does
have the challenge of the stairs.
Please request a lower floor room if we are lucky to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

My parents stayed at The Sandringham and thoroughly enjoyed their stay. They were in Room 1. Fresh carpet had been put down and was greeted on reception by the lovely Alison. They met all the staff and received a warm welcoming. They loved the breakfast and where the hotel was situated on St Mary's Street. They had a wonderful dinner at Cafe Jazz and will return again when they come to Cardiff again.
A big thank you to all the staff who looked after my parents. Hope you enjoyed the chocolates and flowers and will see you all next year when I come back to Cardiff.
All my love Jonathan x

Simon6567, Owner at The Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you Jon for your kind words.
It is was an absolute pleasure to welcome your parents and I am really pleased that they have enjoyed their stay.
Hopefully we shall get to welcome them back again.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

£70 for one night, room is ok..dated to say the least and invest in some mattresses! A fan was supplied in the room it produced no air at all so room was stifling hot, has a large ensuite but beware of using the shower as its a nightmare getting the right temp..either scolding or freezing or could be like one of our party and had no hot water at all.
People working on reception were friendly and helpful with pointing us in the right direction for our night out

Simon6567, Owner at The Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
I am very sorry to hear of the problems with the showers. I shall get this looked into.
I am glad that you have found the reception staff to be friendly but I regret that it would seem that you are unlikely to return.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

We had a nice big room, a lovely big bed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast menu was excellent and suited all tastes. Some street noise but we were in the centre of the town. Convenient for all sports stadiums. Convenient parking, at a concessionary rate, nearby. We didn't use the jazz bar/restaurant but the breakfast was lovely. Plenty of coice to suit all tastes.

Simon6567, Owner at The Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

Thank you Jane for such fantastic feedback.
Everybody really enjoyed meeting you so it is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
Hopefully we shall get to welcome you again.
We used to have a girl working here from Limoges. She said it was lovely and she was a great member of the team. I trust you like it as much as she does.
Thanks again,
Simon

Reviewed 10 June 2017

The people are fantastic. The owners and staff all go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Without such warmth, I would have given the Sandringham a 2. Also, we did not visit the restaurant of the jazz club: we stayed at the hotel.

The first thing to greet you is the smell of stale cigarette smoke. Next is the shabbiness. Then the lack of a lift - make sure your cases are light. You'll be hauling them up a lot of steps. The room didn't smell quite so bad, but it certainly wasn't fresh. The mattresses reminded us of summer camp. The bed coverings were skimpy. They do offer a full English breakfast, and the staff were wonderful.

We chose the Sandringham because of all the good reviews, but our experience was that of a down at the heels, second class hotel

Simon6567, Owner at The Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
We are a completely non-smoking hotel. However we do not have an outside designated smoking area so guests tend to go just outside the hotel onto the Main Street. On occasions this can lead to the area as you open our front door to smell of smoke. We use air fresheners to try and change the smell but obviously we shall have to try harder.
I am glad that you found that the rest of the hotel did not smell of it.
We sadly cannot have a lift but will help with luggage if requested.
I personally think our linen and bed coverings are fine. I know when you spoke that you thought that we were a four or five star hotel so maybe this has led to some disappointment.
I am happy that you have found us all to be a friendly bunch and I hope that you managed to enjoy your visit to Cardiff.