“Outrageously over-priced”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Outrageously over-priced”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

First, note that the most recent reviews here show some confusion, as there are now two Jolyon's hotels in Cardiff, the original one in Cardiff Bay, where we made the mistake of staying, and the new one in the centre, which may well be better.
I was not quite sure what to expect from a 'boutique hotel', but coupled with the prices and the ecstatic reviews on Tripadvisor, I imagined it would be quite upmarket. How wrong I was. This place is really no more than a jumped-up b&b - and I've stayed in far better b&b's for considerably less. All right, it's not the management's fault that the surrounding area is noisy - sorry, 'vibrant' - at weekends, but it doesn't make for the greatest sleep experience. More insulation would help. The room was OK, bathroom quite spacious and modern, bedroom itself a little small, but more importantly very little space to put anything - a tiny wardrobe and not a single drawer in the room. As for breakfast, it was all right but I couldn't see anything special about it, and the downstairs bar where it is served is gloomy in the extreme.
In short there was nothing here which would not be acceptable in a budget hotel, but at these prices I would have expected something a whole lot better.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank general_ludd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Wales
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at Jolyons last night after watching Oliver at the Millennium Centre which is opposite and just a 3 minute walk away. We were greeted by a very nice, friendly guy called Stephen, he explained the hotel layout etc and showed us to our room (2) which was clean, spacious, had a jacuzzi, tea and coffee facilities and sweets !!!
We went down to "Bar Cwtch" for a drink after the theatre which was busy but very cosy and welcoming, "Bar Cwtch" is on the ground floor of the Hotel and can be accessed from inside the Hotel or from the road outside.
now i'm getting excited......BREAKFAST !....was superb ! The lady serving us was really nice and the Fried Breakfast was really special, probably the best i've ever had anywhere.

I would certainly recommend Jolyons to friends and family, the Hotel is conveniently positioned, clean, the staff are friendly and welcoming and Breakfast is superb!

Book it, you won't regret it :)

Room Tip: We were in Room 2, facing the Millennium Centre and had a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brynheulwen
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

For a weekend enjoying the many delights of central Cardiff, this is the place to stay. Perfect position near the Castle in an idyllic road. Great room and facilities, great food, friendly helpful staff and a wonderful bar at front of house. So if you need a base for sight-seeing or shopping at a reasonable price, I would reccomend Jolyons, despite some of the negative reviews on this site!

Room Tip: i had 209 and had no complaints
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I haven't stayed at Jolyons for a few months as our company policy had changed - re: accommodation and overnight stays. Thankfully when I tried to get a reservation with the hotels on our company list - they were all fully booked - this gave me the opportunity to stay at one of my favorite hotels in the UK - Jolyons in Cardiff Bay.

I don't say this lightly, I am a seasoned "Road Warrior" spending probably over a 100 nights a year in hotels - spreading the width and breadth of the UK - whenever I come to Cardiff - Jolyons has that little extra something that the big boys are missing - I think it's probably the uniqueness and the massive personality that the place oozes.

The convenience of the hotel is also 2nd to none - 100m from the Millennium Centre, 100m from a choice of a Great Chinese, Turkish, Indian, Italian & French restaurants - not to mention Fish & Chips at Harry Ramsdens and the Fabulous Pizza from a wood burning stove at Bar Cwtch - Part of Jolyons Hotel.

Room Tip: A little tip if your part of that crowd called "Smokers" (of which I'm one of them...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AntonySpear
Cardiff
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We made the mistake of going to Bar Cwtch which is part of the hotel. What an awful mistake, we walked out before we even ordered food or had a drink. The bar maid (back curley hair and bad skin) ignored us while she served 4 other people right infront of us. OK, i've worked in busy pubs so i know what it like, but this is a tiny bar and she did it on purpose for no reason. We asked her why she was ignoring us but didn't get a reply.

Wouldn't go back there if you paid me.

Room Tip: We made the mistake of going to Bar Cwtch which is part of the hotel. What an awful mistake, we walk...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple