“Excellent ”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely place, not sure where some of the bad reviews have come from as I couldn't fault it. This was the first time I have visited a Miller and Carter with my partner. We both loved our steak and we're really impressed with the service and presentation of food. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us, we had a suitcase as we were getting a train back and the waiter allowed us to pop it in the office so we didn't have it next to the table. We will return if ever back in Cardiff again.

1  Thank Francesca E
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Francesca E, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! We hope to see you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,440)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I would like to say how fantastic Slawek is!!!!! When you visit you need to ask for him because he is possibly the best waiter in the entire world! When I go I always try and have him serve us he is second to none!!!!! There are not enough nice things to say about him. What an asset he is to this business. The food here is sublime and I would highly highly highly recommend the ribeye cooked medium it’s like cutting through butter!!! 10/10 The grain fed one is also amazing!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was my first visit to a Miller and Carter. We were a large party celebrating my mother's birthday. Overall we were all fairly satisfied with the food, although for myself I was expecting a bit more quality. My main concern was with the details of service which make such a difference to the overall dining experience. Some of us arrived a few minutes later than others in the group, who were already sitting at the table. Nothing wrong there, but as I approached the table, the waiter was already taking orders for drinks before we had all sat down. This is bad practice and as a result we were made to feel rushed before we had actually sat at the table. Also, with the food order, I notified the waiter that I needed a bit more time to decide, so I asked him to come back to me after everyone else had ordered. Simple request you may think? No, this wasn't possible, I had to order directly after the person sitting next to me, so everything would be done in order! In 40 years of dining I have never actually come across this practice before, and of course it is completely bonkers. There should be no need for an "order," as the person bringing food to the table is able to ask at the time who ordered what food. It was a shame that these two incidents detracted from what was otherwise a good standard of service.

Richard T, General Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Morning Lyn

The way the order is taken is our WoW Service.

Who ordered what!

We do this as a brand so when the food arrives from the kitchen it can be placed directly to the guests rather than shouting and auctioning food off!
A lot of guests are really impressed by this, but sorry to read it has resulted in you only giving us a 3 star review!

As for the drinks order being taken, this can sometimes be difficult judging if guests do want to have a drink whilst waiting for others or not!? If you can speak to the others in the group and inform me if they were pressurised into ordering a drink, I can then pick this up with your server

Thanks in advance

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited as my son was having his 21st birthday and we booked this place. This was my first time hear and when we entered the building I was met by a rather odd chap called Richard.Abrupt would be the word. When we were seated and ordered the food was undercooked and minimal in quantity. We had 2 small children with us and Richard barked at my niece to keep their kids seated. I use the word barked because he did not ask nicely. When we went to take some photos we were told we had to take them over where they had an official phototaking area. All in all I was left very underwhelmed and overcharged. I would not recommend you visit until the staff are given some customer relationship training and they review how they cook food. I have eaten steak all over the world and this place gets my vote for the worst restaurant experience and the poorest food of them.all.

Good morning Pj K -
Thanks for your visit on Saturday.

Firstly, I did not 'bark' at anyone, as I am not a dog. I asked the lady, once, to keep the children seated.

I have since had another complaint from the other tables sat near, who were celebrating an anniversary meal and had requested a quiet table in the corner.

My main concern was the safety and wellbeing of the children, as in the past we have had near misses with children bumping into waitresses with hot food and glasses. I'm sure you can understand that if they had been hurt or burnt this would have been another issue.
There was a gentleman swinging the children around near other tables, yet again, not ideal.

I am also unsure as to where the 'official photography area' is? We have an Instagram Frame available for guests to use, possibly this is where the team were on about when suggesting photos.

I am sure other guests, who use TripAdvisor and also know me from my 8 years here, will take on-board your comments, but also will know that I am not odd, just a proud manager who has my guests best interests at heart.

My Assistant Manager Adam, has replied to your complaint sent to Head Office, and I am sorry that you will not be returning.

Best wishes

Richard

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went to Miller & Carter for a pre-show Meal. I was very impressed by the interior and style when we arrived. It didn’t look or feel like a chain. The staff and service was very good, and the food was excellent. The only thing that let it down really was the location. I know there’s not a lot they can do as they’re looking to service visitors to both the hotels nearby and the Red Dragon Centre, but when you arrive the noise from the link road makes it feel like you’re in the centre of a roundabout! If you’re taking a date there, blindfold them first and give them earplugs (you never know they might like it :-) just until you get inside. Once in they’ll never know any different! I would definitely visit a Miller & Carter again

Thanks for your post Rabbit171

Glad you’ve enjoyed your recent visit!

Looks can be deceiving and I’m glad that once you were seated we ticked the boxes!

As you’ve said, we are the perfect restaurant for a quiet and peaceful romantic date, and hope that myself and the team can look after you again soon!!

Happy Easter