“A wonderful experience”

Cuisines: European
Good for: View details
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2021 via mobile

Amazing lunch experience!! I had the 6 course tasting menu with wine pairings all of which were gorgeous. Nick was fantastic and had such great knowledge of all our wines all of which really added to the experience

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (987)

Reviewed 11 June 2021 via mobile

Nick was our waiter and he along with the incredible food & wine made the experience top class. His knowledge of wines was excellent. I’d highly recommend the 6 course tasting menu and cannot recommend Ox enough to those interested in a dining experience.

Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

My partner and I were dying to return to OX where we had availed of the Valentines Night Menu last February (2020). It is a very special place for the two of us - so what better place to go following the easing of COVID restrictions.

We were very tempted to avail of the 4-6 course tasting menu - but as we had dinner booked in a separate establishment that evening, we stuck with the three course lunch menu (around £30 without alcohol).

Nick was our host and his attention to detail was truly excellent. He knew everything about each specific dish and his cocktail recommendations were excellent.

Dishes were packed full of flavour - ranging from Jersey Royal & Asparagus; Halibut & Kohlrabi; Lamb & Misso; Rhubarb & White Chocolate; and Toffee Sable.

We will definitely be back again - and can't recommend this gem enough!
We were also sorry to hear that Phoebe (our host from last visit) has since left - but safe to say the service is still excellent!

1  Thank IF104Law
Reviewed 18 March 2021

We booked a table in Ox at short notice for a Saturday meal.

We arrived and were shown to our table with full Covid precautions in place which was good to see. We were going to be dining off the tasting menu and saw some really interesting dishes coming our way.

The meal started with some nice canapés before some good quality bread. We were then into what I would consider the "starter" part of the menu. The first dish was Artichoke with chicken skin which was nice but a bit forgettable, the second dish of fior di latte, broad bean and truffle was okay but def reminded me that truffle is overated.

We then got onto the main courses and both of these were fantastic. First was a lobster in beurre blanc which was really nicely plated and tasted amazing. I am a big fan of lobster in general and this was really good. I would have happily ate twice the amount. Then Cote de Boeuf with sprouting broccoli, although the size of the beef was a bit smaller then I would like (as it was good) the real stars were the various sauces including a beef sauce and miso. Never the biggest fan of broccoli with a bit of the sauce it was amazing and something I will remember.

Onto the "deserts" which frankly I didnt enjoy. Not as they were particularly bad but maybe not to my taste. Although the Apricot soup which sleeps yoghurt was pretty horrible, I just didnt enjoy the flavours and the condensed milk "tuile" was not enjoyable and stuck to the top of the mouth in an unpleasant way. The second desert was better, Blackberry and White chocolate. While not a fan of blackberries anyway I did enjoy the white chocolate sable.

My partner had the Ox brand beer and she thought it was fantastic and she also enjoyed some cocktails which were good.

Overall the service was good but the food a bit hit and miss. The highs of the menu being extremely high though. I would go back again as I feel there cooking style is great but that night a couple of dishes weren't for me.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 28 February 2021

Every time you visit the staff are always welcoming . The food is sublime with every mouthful an experience . Alain is a first class raconteur and host. The chefs change the food regularly and we never had a mela that wasn’t wonderful.We have booked after lockdown and cannot wait .

Date of visit: March 2020