“Much Better This Time”

The Station Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Carnoustie
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A traditional family run hotel set in the heart of Carnoustie. The hotel offers comfortable en-suite accommodation, fantastic food and a warm welcome to anyone visiting or living in the area. The friendly and efficient team pride themselves in excellent customer service and strive to make your visit a memorable one
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Had an Excellent high tea tonight at the Station. I had haddock and chips(proper chips again) my wife had scampi both meals were very good.Scones were nice and warm and tasted good. Glad to see the cakes were back to normal size well done. Only negative is I do not like seeing the some of the waitresses with their tea towel over their shoulder,not very hygienic.

1  Thank kearn2013

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

We were on our yearly visit to family in Arbroath and my sister in law always take us to The Station Hotel for a meal.
When we arrived and shown to our table it didn't seem like the usual table. Anyway the young waitress came took our food orders and brought our drinks to the table. We asked for water glasses but when they came they were not very clean so the waitress apologised and brought my sister in law a cleaner glass. The starters were OK so that was good but when the main courses came, I'd ordered the steak pie which was no way like what we'd experienced before. For a start off it came in a white enamel tin dish which was not what you expect in a restaurant. Anyway I thought as long as it tastes good... well the meat was ok but as for calling it a pie, the pastry on the top could not have been rolled any thinner so when I stuck my fork into it it just broke up to reveal a few chunks of beef in a spoonful of gravy. I asked for more gravy for my chips and veg, the waitress came back and said they had none left to which we replied well it's a good job we didn't all have the beef dinner as they wouldn't have enough gravy to make the meals. It was certainly not worth the price they charged for meat pie. My husband had scampi and that was ok. The beef dinner my brother and sister in law had was ok but quite a bit of fat round the sliced beef. We only had desserts for two of the party which were ok.
My sister in law asked if they'd stopped using table mats on the tables as they were just bare brown tables and was told by the waitress they'd never used table mats on the tables and she'd worked there three years. They just looked so bare. Well I looked at a photo taken there two years ago and the tables had table cloths on. That's what was missing!
The Station Hotel, you really need to get your act together as you've gone from being a class place with excellent food to a cheap looking place with food that's lost that wow factor.

3  Thank julieo_0
Reviewed 15 February 2018

The four of us were on a voucher deal for bed and breakfast and a bottle of Prosecco. We weren't expecting much since it was a voucher but we had a great time.

The hotel is obviously quite old so the bar has a cosy feel.

The bedrooms are basic but clean and I think the may have been refurbished in the last couple of years. The bathroom was basic and could maybe do with an upgrade but it did the job!

We had a few drinks in the bar, all the staff were great, especially the woman who checked us in and took our dinner order.

We had the courses and no complaints.

Breakfast was great and did saved me from a wine hangover.

We all said we would all come back :)

3  Thank kelly7411
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Dinner at station hotel for the second time unfortunately no where near as good as our first meal back December whilst visiting our daughter for Christmas. I opted for the steak pie it was exceptional the last time. I was served a smaller portion of over salty stew with thin gravy this time. No ambiance in the dining area and a cold feel to this old building. It may be be ok for a quick sandwich at lunch i wouldn’t recommend for evening meal.

2  Thank hughes3000
Reviewed 7 February 2018

Called in to the Station Hotel which has always been our favourite place for eating out. We have had many delicious meals here over the years. We pre-booked a table but were given one which was in a draughty area so it felt rather chilly. We did not require alcoholic drinks but requested 2 glasses of water which were duly served. After placing our order for haddock and chips one of the waitresses brought out the pots of tea and hot water. I mentioned this would have been preferred with the toast, scones + cake but just to leave it, thinking these would be produced shortly. This didn't happen yet the tables beside us did get - but they hadn't placed their order + were drinking!

When our main course arrived it was piping hot and tasty however we did take bad with the unusual potato wedges instead of the usual chips. The scones were found to be quite hard on top but we washed them down with the stewed tea! The 'cakes' were tiny little pastry shapes (square + boat shaped) with creamy type filling - one with a very thin sliver of strawberry + the other a blueberry with mint leaf, plus a small portion of home made cheesecake.

The owner did come and ask if everything was all right so I mentioned the wedges were a bit different to the normal chips, but were okay. He also asked what we thought of the 'cakes' - this being a new idea to allow diners to try the same ones. They are different, but we were not overly impressed with them - personally we would rather have a choice of home made sponge, cake, tray bake etc.

Perhaps it might be an idea for the waiting staff to be advised when taking orders to ask when the pots of tea, hot water + tier of toast, scones + cake should be served i.e. at the beginning of the meal or later giving customers the option??

That said, we would return.

1  Thank meercat54