Bay Great Western Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsnational holidaysshearings holidaysea viewpremier roomself driveentertainment every nightthe dining room staffcoach triphalf boardgreat holidaybar pricesplenty of hot watereach eveningsea frontlong journeyan upgradebuffet breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Having been to Oban many times we know the area well and decided to try a Shearings 5 day break instead of our normal bed and breakfast accommodation well all I can say is Result , our room overlooking the Bay was great and was kept serviced daily the staff from the cleaners / bar start and the people waiting on work incredible hard but always have a smile on there faces and are happy to help . Breakfast was a buffet and there was no shortage of stuff to eat and plenty cups of coffee to get you going the evening meal reminded me of my mothers cooking " God rest her soul" it's was all well cooked and presented nothing not to like , would we return that's got to be a yes

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Melise B, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Ramsbottom1,

Thanks for your review. The view of the bay is great especially if you are lucky enough to catch one of our beautiful sunsets. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the staff do work hard to ensure everyone has a lovely holiday. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and hope you will return soon for another visit.

Kind regards,

Melise

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Have just returned from a 5 day holiday in this hotel. This was my 6th visit to this hotel (my first time was in 2000) and I have never been disappointed. It is well placed overlooking Oban Bay and the view from the relaxing bar and lounge is simply stunning! Even better when there is a sunset!! It is an only a short walk from the town and all the amenities. Our stay was very enjoyable and could not really fault it. Dinner was good with choices every night......on one of the nights one of our party couldn't eat anything off the menu due to a food allergy but that was no problem at all as she had a chicken salad instead. The buffet breakfast was generally good too but the only niggle was that the fried eggs were a little on the hard side......I like my eggs runny!!!! A special mention must go to our waiter Ethan - he was a delight! He was polite, friendly, efficient and nothing was too much trouble. Please pass our thanks on to him. The trips out too were great.....loved the day out in Mull!! Our driver Mark also deserves a mention too.....very knowledgeable about the area and a genuinely nice guy! The last time I visited Oban before this trip was 2010.....I certainly won't leave it another 8 years!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 20cal58

Hello 20cal58,

What a splendid review. It is pleasing to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Great Western Hotel and Ethan, our restaurant supervisor, will be especially happy to read your kind words. Mark has been a regular driver to our hotel and goes above and beyond to ensure all his passengers have a great holiday. We hope you don't leave it another eight years to come and visit and maybe we will see you return soon?

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed for three nights on a national holiday trip. We paid for an upgrade for a sea view room which was well worth the money. The hotel is located facing oban bay and port so the views are great. Our room had been recently renovated so was excellent, meals were very good. Service was OK, just a little slow at times, but all the staff were friendly and helpful. The dining room and lounges were a little cold at times, but the views of oban made up for that.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melvyn H

Hi Melvyn H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review. I do agree that our sea view location is great and I am happy to hear you enjoyed breakfast and dinner. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of the hotel team and I am glad you agree.

Kind regards,

Melise

Reviewed 14 March 2018

great room and fantastic service - went with Shearings and the trip was suberb - lots of excursions and lot of info from Mark our driver - had a lovely seaview room that was cleaned every day - everything catered for at breakfast and dinner, will be looking to be back in room 303 at the end of April

Room Tip: choose room 303 and get a beautiful seaview
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi julzes s,

Glad to see that you enjoyed our newly refurbished sea view superior room. April is a great time to visit as we usually get lots of beautiful sunsets and it is a pleasure to sit in the lounge to enjoy them. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2018

What a great trip with Shearings, 26th Feb to 2nd March.
Although much to be done within the hotel, my friend and I could not fault the truly wonderful staff. The breakfast is very good and although we didn't hear any complaints about the evening meals, we chose to eat out. We had the week where everyone got the worst possible weather, everyone but us. We had no snow until Thursday, and that didn't stay. The trip home was the longest because of the white Stuff. GREAT TIME!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paulamarie D

Hi Paulamarie D,

Yes, we were very lucky to miss the snowfall in Oban. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I do agree that our staff are truly wonderful. Please come back and visit us soon!