“Overrated, dirty noisy dump!”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I stayed here for 3 nights, luckily my company paid, if it had come out of my pocket I really would not have been impressed. The room was small and dark, whilst the bed was made each day the room itself was dirty and very dusty. Parking is a nightmare I had to park around half a mile away.
The staff are not very friendly or helpful this may be due to them being mainly Eastern European and not speaking very good English. The morning I left I had to be be gone by 0600 am due to me missing breakfast I was told a packed lunch would be left at reception. Next day reception new nothing no packed lunch left so I was offered a packet of nuts and crisps!
Food was edible however nothing like the standard as advertised and was certainly not worth the prices they charge.
My room cost £128.00 b&b I would have happily paid £40 but not a penny more as said company paid. The day I left they where charging £200 room only per night, I pity the poor soles who got fleeced because this was the only accommodation left available.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank c1rencester
Manager_ObanBay, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Dear c1rencester,

Thank you for your review for your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read that your were disappointed with your room.

We get lots of positive comments about our team members.

We also get lots of great comments about our food, which priced in line with the rest of the town.

Parking is limited at all hotels in Oban but we have two alternatives very close to the hotel.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We arrived at the Oban Bay Hotel for an overnight stay, and were placed in room 151. First impressions of the hotel were a little disappointing as the furniture in the conservatory was shabby, torn and dirty.

There is no wheelchair access. Access is via steps.

Despite informing the receptionist that there was a disabled guest, no help was offered. There is a lift, although this is at the end of a very long corridor and up two sets of steps.

Once we travelled from reception to our room, we were disappointed to note that we were located in an extension to the main hotel, with views out over a pebble dashed wall. As opposed to lovely views of Oban Bay available from the front of the building.

Our room was small, dark, and smelled musty. The bathroom was cramped, although there was an accessible shower. The furniture was dated, and overall the room felt neglected. There was a 15" lcd TV, and kettle. The twin room was also not large enough for twin beds, and these were pushed together as a double. The free wifi did not work.

The car parking at the hotel consists of 5 spaces to the rear, and 4 spaces at the front of the building, as well as 1 disabled parking space. The car park to the rear of the building is not big enough to turn around in, which made exiting very difficult. The disabled parking space was occupied by a vehicle without a permit. Despite asking the staff for help with this, we were told the space is "first come, first served". There is no onstreet parking.

We decided that we would not be staying after only 2 minutes in the room, and promptly set about finding an alternative.

We were asked why we were checking out so soon, and explained that the room was not accessible for the disabled guest, and far from what we were expecting based on the available information and photos. No alternative room was offered, and no apology was given.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

On paper this hotel looked perfect with wonderful views. In reality, the hotel was very jaded. Rooms very drab. Have stayed in much better budget hotels. Hot tub still out of order and looking at previous reviews has been for sometime and we were looking forward to using this. Our stay was end of Aug. My hairdryer stopped working. Also had to crawl along floor trying to work out how to get TV on. In the second room all power was lost. Staff came to try to fix it but didn't really know what to do. Fortunately brother in law is an electrician and had to tell them to check main fusebox (in cellar I believe). They did and it worked. We had intended to stay for breakfast but just wanted to get out of hotel. I told the Manager (I think) at the desk in the morning of our problems and although he took some money off, he did not apologise or appear bothered. I think this hotel only survives because of busy tourist trade.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We arrived as a group of friends looking to sample Oban and booked up as a deal. we were pleased as staff were amazing, friendly and helpful breakfast was top notch but extremely busy with coach parties and rooms were good.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

Dear flybazz,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed breakfast and the service from our team members.

I hope you can stay again soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Its not the worst hotel but it is in desperate need of some tlc. Carpets are worn down to the threads in some places. The rooms are ok and clean. Food was ok. Parking is very limited. Nice views over the bay and close to town centre. This hotel could be great with some work.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shirleyb2010

Dear shirleyb2010,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I am grateful for your feedback since it allows us to review the service that we provide.

We do have an ongoing programme of refurbishment, but it is too early to say when the next stage will begin.