“Got the train to Helensburgh and cycled back to Falkirk”
Review of The John Muir Way

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The first thing you notice on arrival in Helensburgh is how difficult it is to find the start of the way, in fact we never did, but it is actually very well sign posted throughout this part of the cycle. All of the route up until Loch Lomond Shores is on quiet roads and cycle paths, but then its gets really busy around Balloch, and once on the West Highland Way part of the route at Dumgoyne it gets really messy and poor surfaces until Strathblane - certainly not suitable for cycling - even a bit rough for a mountain bike. Finished at Falkirk this time. Need to do the rest the next time

All reviews
"route"
in 9 reviews
"bike"

Reviewed 24 December 2017

The developers have done an excellent job marking this long distance walk (LDW) with high quality well-placed markers. However, if you are considering walking the whole 130+ miles, you need some tips from experienced ramblers, and a copy of the Rucksack Readers guidebook. I've done 7 LDWs in Europe, and I chose this one because I needed a break from recent walks with large elevation (up and down) challenges. It's true that this LDW is fairly level. However, some tips for avoiding some problem areas on this fairly new route are warranted. Basically, you need to research the difference between the cycle route and the walking route. In my experience, you will sometimes want to avoid the walking route and follow the more established and well-thought-out, mature cycle route. For example, if you want to avoid a lot of steep muddy forest track, take the cycle route between Helensburgh and Balloch. Also the cycle route between Balloch and Strathblane is recommended because it is less isolated and you can visit the Glengoyne Distillery. The cycle route is also better into Linlithgow in my opinion. Generally, you are going to be walking on a lot of asphalt, due to taking the cycle route, re-purposed railway beds, and canal tow paths - hard on the old knees. Favorite sights: the Falkirk Wheel, the Kelpies north of Falkirk (accessed via city bus), the old railway bridge at Queensferry, and the friendly blond aristocratic lady on a huge, beautiful horse near Hopetoun Estate who jumped off to scoop her horse's poop off the trail with her boot and then had to remount via a nearby stone wall. Favorite places I stayed: Moorlands in Helensburgh; Norwood Guesthouse, Balloch; Kirkhouse, Strathblane; Boathouse, Auchinstarry Marina, Kilsyth; Hotel Cladhan, Falkirk; Court Residence, Linlithgow; Orocco Pier, Queensferry; and the Holiday Inn near the zoo, Edinburgh (no favorites east of E-town). Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I'm 69 years old - if I can do it you can do it.

5  Thank Enkanear
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I did NOT walk the entire trail. Rather, I walked from Dunbar Harbour along the coastline to John Muir Park - about 50 minutes. While I obviously cannot comment on the entire walk, from what I did experience I can say it was fantastic. The undulating path was well marked with excellent signage. The trail itself is easy to follow - some sections it is hard packed dirt, others it is grass. From the Harbour I walked along the rocky, sandstone coastline and passed a golf course and some impressive cliff top homes. Perhaps someday I will return to complete this walk.

2  Thank backpacker31
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed this trail! I walked the first four sections, starting in helensburgh. Day 2 was long and hilly, but doable. I used the maps available on the JMW website and they were good, but it would be worthwhile to also get the guidebook for a few poorly marked areas. I understand that it is available at the tourist info in Balloch. We used Steve with JMW luggage service for our bags, he was excellent.

2  Thank Rose L