See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Horrible experience, from the moment I first entered the property to the bitter end. First of all, it's a 77 steps climb to the hostel. They try to joke about it (it's even in their WiFi password), but there's no way around it: these 77 steps make getting in and out of the hostel a very unpleasant and annoying experience, especially with luggage.
Secondly, the communal areas lack conforts and conviniences commonly found in others hostels in Edimburgh. The kitchen is not very resourceful, and the only area for guests to socialize is a dining room cramped with tables. But the worst of all was the way me and my friend were treated. When the two other guys that were staying in our room left, the girl that was working at the reception at the time vehemently accused us of stealing the sheets of the beds that were previously occupied by the guys that'd left. According to her, it must have been us, since the sheets had been changed and we were the only ones in the room. Then she very rudely demanded that we pay £30 each. When we told her that we wouldn't, she said she was going to talk to her manager. After doing so, she realized that the sheets were missing due to a mistake from the part of the hostel's employees, but didn't bother to apologise for the inconvenience. And on our last day there, after we had checked out, and had been told we could leave our bags there until 9 PM, we were cooking. The same woman from the hostel bursted into the kitchen and asked me ironically why we were cooking, since we had checked out that morning. She said it was their policy that guests that checked out could not use the neither the kitchen facilities nor the showers. I told her that nobody had told me that, and she replied that they didn't because it was "common sense". I've cooked and showered in many other hostels after checking out, but apparently the little bit of water and energy this hostel saves with this policy in far more important than the satisfaction of their guests. After finishing our meal, the girl told us we had to pick up our bags and leave the hostel, because "we had been arguing with them for the whole duration of our stay". We asked to talk to the manager, but she refused to contact him. That girl clearly brooke the hostel's policy of letting guests leave their luggage there until 9PM, and arbitrarily kicked us out because she was mad at us. In the end, after a brief discussion, we left with our bags, since we had a play to catch, took a cab, and left our bags in the theater's cloakroom. That really isn't the kind of hostel you wanna be staying in. There are much better options in Edimburgh, of which the Castle Rock Hostel is a very good example. Similarly priced, this place is far better, I have only good things to say about it. I didn't stay there longer only because they were fully booked for the rest of my stay in Edimburgh.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank decimalizing8
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Stayed in a lot of hostels in Edinburgh and this was and is my favorite the pink haired girl on reception was fantastic and friendly and genuine and the front desk guy Joanas was a brilliant guy, I don't know why this isn't higher in the reviews the hostel is an old building and does need a bit of TLC in areas but its a bloody hostel, When i come back i will for sure stay here again such a nice atmosphere thanks for the stay guys

Room Tip: Beware the 77 steps to the top
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2017

This is the worst hostel I've ever "stayed in". The mattress in our room was stained and had two large holes under it. Two insects ran into the one of the holes when we lifted the mattress. We were both disgusted by the state of the mattress and thus we alerted the receptionist, who that night seemed to understand our distaste for the abode and actually agreed that the mattress displayed signs of infestation. We were told that we would get a complete refund when she saw the bed and understood our disgust. We left the hostel not even 2 hours after having checked in. When we contacted the manager to asked for the promised refund, we were told (after several unanswered calls and emails) that we we're basically making this up (we have pictures!), and we were never refunded. The service was horrible. The manager insinuated that we were trying to get a free night because we had spent 1hour in the room, which we had actually spent packing our bags for our morning flight. This is BY FAR the utmost disrespectful way in which I've ever been treated. Save yourself some time and energy and do not book this place. It is filthy.

Room Tip: Do not ever go to this hostel. It is NOT as pictured.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2017

Do not sleep here unless you want to die because of a fire. The building is a complete labyrinth of corridors, ups and downs, I honestly do not imagine what would happen if there was a fire, but nobody came alive. Other than that, it is dirty, old and poorly maintained. I suspect they do not change the sheets because they smell very bad and the mattresses are sunken. It is right across from Waverley but do not worth

Room Tip: No vayas! No merece la pena
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

The hostel is located up several narrow winding stairs, which is quite difficult if you have a large backpack or suitcase. I called the day before to check if they had free wifi, which they stated that they had. When I arrived they told me the wifi was not working today because of the construction across the street. And it might be back on in the afternoon but if I wanted wifi go to Starbucks haha. Then when asking another staff member about the wifi, they said it has not been working for a few days and might be on by the end of the week!! Which they had of said this when I phoned! Otherwise I would not have booked here! Needed wifi to Skype conference calls in other countries which Starbucks is not open for in those hours!! The whole place is quite run down with broken loose tiles all in the bathrooms as well as no power points work in the room. I ended up cancelling my remaining night and got out of there as quickly as I could. Oh an aswell people were running and scream down the halls until 3am as well as reception plays loud music until 12am... not the best place to stay if you want any sleep, wifi, charge devices or hurt your back walking up 60 something stairs in a narrow staircase.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo