“Not the life we would choose”
Review of My Edinburgh Life

My Edinburgh Life
Ranked #312 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Thanks to TA reports we were prepared for the routine to obtain access to the property and I contacted Phil by email in advance for details. I received a quick response and the process worked out fine. I had booked through an online supplier and they did not email any details so without TA we would have been left standing (literally outside that is). The key message here is be proactive and contact Phil direct via his web address prior to your arrival to obtain the lock combination required (the keys are held in little locked boxes by the side of the door).

The property is a townhouse which has been converted a few years ago into 13 bedrooms with a communal lounge and kitchen. Six of the larger bedrooms have their own limited kitchen facilities. You can see that the place has been furnished originally to a good specification and still photographs well however on closer inspection it all looked a bit tired at the time of our visit.

Although there is no reception there was a notice on the back of our bedroom door with some details of the house rules and guidance. It was too late for us to read that we should have removed our shoes at the front entrance - there is a tall rack just inside for storing them - we obliged thereafter. Guests presumably have been respectful of this request as the light coloured carpet on the stairs was still not too bad looking and Edinburgh has lots of wet, mucky pavements - especially in light of the ongoing tram works.

Our room #6 was at the front of the house on the first floor. It had a high ceiling typical of the style of property and was quite compact with a double bed, chest of drawers, desk and chair and an open wardrobe. There was also a box seat by the window with cushions however the sills and several other surfaces including the deep skirting boards had a coating of dirt/dust. This may be down to the window being open and roadworks outside - or possibly the absence of a duster in a while! The room did not have any tea/coffee making facilities. A widescreen television was mounted on the wall and could be angled - this was handy to turn it away from the direction of the bed at night as the blue standby light was a nuisance (I didn’t investigate turning it off altogether).

The ensuite is very small and I’m surprised that some features passed building regulations. The fixtures are stylish however from a practical point of view they disappointed. When using the washbasin to have a shave I thought it had similarities to a bird bath (i.e. it could only hold about an inch of water); the entry and exit from the raised shower was unbelievably narrow (Kate Moss would be ok) and potentially dangerous as you step sideways down onto the tiled floor. Water pressure in the shower was fairly weak and the tiles and plug area a bit unsightly with soap residue. It did cross my mind that it may have been possible to have achieved a triple of having a shower, shave and seat at the same time such was the close proximity of the fittings. I didn’t attempt it for my own safety. On that note a good feature was the floor level light which came on when the door opened and saved switching on the main light if getting up to go to the toilet during the night.

If the TV standby light was a distraction it paled into insignificance when we retired to the rock solid bed. I think it may have been a memory foam mattress however my only memories of it are bad. The last time I slept on something similar it was covered in carpet. That aside, the main cause of our sleepless night was the traffic noise. The work associated with the introduction of trams to Edinburgh has resulted in a road diversion past the property which is scheduled to go on until at least the second quarter of 2013 so in the interim either get a room at the rear or bring earplugs. There is only single glazing and the buses and cars are relentless.

Breakfast was DIY in the basement in a communal kitchen. There were a few cereals, pastries, some bread, assorted jams, fresh fruit, coffee and a large selection of tea. There was a bench type table and seats and some fellow guests who were Scandinavian. A few others arrived, took some items and disappeared to their rooms as there was nowhere else to sit. The kitchen had a number of fridges which appeared to be full of food belonging to longer term guests who can make themselves meals. Judging by the plate still covered in tomato sauce in the dishwasher it’s possibly not haute cuisine. In the absence of a “host”, separate tables or background music the communal breakfast was a bit uncomfortable.

The clue to who’s Edinburgh this is was becoming apparent. It probably best suits young people who are travelling and want a taste of Edinburgh for a week or so on a budget or students who are attending further education. The website does refer to it being a base for “the full academic term”. It would also be convenient for events at Murrayfield as it isn’t too far to walk and a small group of people attending one of these may relax in each others company.

There are no parking arrangements for guests’ cars but it is close to Haymarket railway station - and bus routes as we can testify! There are stairs from the street at the front entrance and inside, to the basement level kitchen, so it may not suit guests with mobility issues.

One or two other TA reporters have probably got it right when they mentioned it’s almost like a hostel - although I would add like an upmarket version. Our stay was low-cost for Edinburgh at £70 for a double room for a night but sadly My Edinburgh Life is not the life we would normally choose.

Room Tip: Unless you can sleep through Last Night at the Proms at the Albert Hall try for a room at the rear
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2012

A well turned out hotel that is really more like a guest house. There are not always staff on site, which is apparently normal for many of these types of hotels in Edinburgh. The house has a nice kitchen, and the front room common area is cozy and feels more like home than a hotel lobby.

Hotel is right next to Haymarket train station in the west end, where there are lots of bars and restaurants, but they are also currently ripping up the street outside for some public works, so it's not the most attractive.

Make sure you have access to email or phone the day you arrive; because there is no reception, they will send you the combination for your key box and other instructions.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank SciencebookWithShoes
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed at My Edinburgh Life over the festival weekend for our friends wedding. The headache we faced straight away was the lack of parking facilities available in the area, especially as we were carrying so much luggage. The hotel itself does not cater for parking which is fine, until you realise most roads in the area are residential permit parking. The only public parking spaces within a 10 minute walk are limited to a maximum of a 4 hour stay so we enjoyed the stress of having to juggle between parking spaces. If you don't already know, Edinburgh is heavily monitored by parking attendants.

I have to give out a strong warning to anyone unfortunate enough to stay on the front side of the building. We were based in Room 6 on the first floor and over the two night stay we probably managed about 3 hours sleep. The rooms have thin glass and due to Rosebery Crescent being a busy bus route in to the City, you will have to put up with the constant drone of passing traffic - a nightmare if you're a light sleeper! We spoke to some Swiss tourists one morning in the Kitchen who had exactly the same gripe so know we were not alone. The website states "a peaceful base to live soundly and sleep well", I don't think so!!

We had some queries and emailed a contact called Pauline provided on the hotel information sheet.. which bounced straight back due to the address not existing! I thought this was really useless when you don't have somebody onsite to assist 24/7. Just for anyone who is due to stay here, the contact you want for ALL queries is actually Phil Falconer.

On the upside I have to say the maid Anna who you will see around the hotel is a star. You would almost think she is running the show and will be happy to assist with any problems or queries.

The location is also good for transport links with a train station connected to the City just around the corner, a bus stop right outside and a Taxi rank based at the station.

Our room was cramped, the bathroom had just about enough space to breath with mould all over the shower sealent, we had nowhere to sit for breakfast on both mornings in the kitchen (although was nice to socialise), the room was too noisy and in the end we just couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side will probably actually give you a nights sleep!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonesy_Travels
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

Lovely decorated rooms, very spacious with everything you need. Good communal lounge & kitchen. We didn't see the other residents very much so it was like staying in your own home. Self serve breakfast had a great choice. Overall was very clean & tidy. Short walk to Haymarket station & about 10-15 mins walk to Princes St. Go through the back streets to avoid the road works & see the cathedral & independent shops on the way. Definitely recommend

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I was in Edinburgh for work and decided to add a few days to visit this wonderful city with my husband. Since I was there for a conference the reservation had been made by the travel agency of my company and this was the problem... they didn't told me that I needed a code to enter the house since there's no reception on site. Luckly I arrived in Edinburgh in the afternoon and I succeeded after several phone calls and sms in talking with someone who gave me the code to get my keys. The rooms are ok, but it depends on which you are in: I stayed in a double and in a single. The double is ok, the single is very small. My colleague was there too and I could visit his double room which was spacious, quite a small apartment. the bathrooms are very narrow and have never been cleaned. yet, as I said before, I stayed three nights in a double and 4 in a single, probably I didn't have the time to see the cleaning... You can have breakfast in the common kitchen: you find everything you need there and prepare the breakfast on your own.
The guest house is perfect for the conference center: you get there in a few minutes. yet if you want to visit the old town is pretty far: it's reachable on foot but if you want to save time you can get on a bus, the stop is close to the house.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business