“Great place to stay with kids”
Review of My Edinburgh Life

My Edinburgh Life
Ranked #312 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2017

After a brief mix-up getting our room key we were pleasantly surprised at the size of our room and the great location. We had a lower floor room with a large bed and two fold out sofas. We had ample room for 2 adults and 3 kids (13, 11, 9) and all of our luggage. The mini fridge was great for snacks and drinks, and the breakfast was simple but sufficient to fill us up and be ready for our adventures. The staff were hard working and always pleasant. We would definitely stay here again if we get back to Edinburgh!

Room Tip: Our room was on the lower floor. There was very little noise from outside.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 September 2017

The room was absolutely tiny. It feels like they started with a box room, split it into 2 rooms, and then added an en suite. The result is a smaller-than-single bed stuffed so tightly between 2 walls that anyone over the height of 5'10" will have to sleep with their legs bent.

There was a pipe in the bedroom which constantly made a loud noise, even after midnight, which often woke me up early in the morning. The bathroom was so tiny that it is impossible to sit on the toilet without having your legs at an uncomfortable angle.

The WiFi simply does not work. Anybody in the house will tell you how utterly unreliable it is, and it is especially bad in the rooms on the upper floors.

The "washing facilities" consist of 1 working washing machine (the other has been broken since may) shared between every room in the hotel. You practically have to stand by it for hours to be able to get your stuff in it. The washing machines both also have stickers on saying that they are past their fire safety test dates.

The only reasonably sized kitchen is full of paint, tiles, white spirit, and other decorating equipment that they cannot be bothered to move out of your way.

My room was never cleaned, nor did I get fresh towels or my bin emptied unless I asked.

Worst of all, there are no staff around to talk to about these issues, except very early in the morning when many will be either asleep or heading to work / university. They try to sell this on their website as a feature, saying that it makes the hotel feel like a "home away from home". Emailing and calling the staff will get you absolutely nowhere.

It's such a shame that this nice-looking house has been let to disintegrate with nobody there to look after it or the guests.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have absolutely no WiFi signal. Ask to see a picture of your room before you book...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2017

During my visit to Edinburgh the end of July i chose the My Edinburgh Life (B&B) as my place to stay. The first impression when entering the doors of this place was very positive. An Overall clean and comfortable stay with a very inviting and personally warm service stuff, which is a very positive aspect to mention.
The B&B is situated just 1 Minute or even less of footway from Haymarket station , where trains go to the Uk and there are plenty possibilities to get into the old city of Edinburgh with tram or bus, so it is very easy to get to the B&B if coming from airport or from another place in the city. The rooms were very comfortable , very clean, but for 3 persons a little bit tight, but that was not much of a problem. Another room for 3 persons in the upper floor which was booked by our friends at the same time had much more space, so you should not be surprised if your is smaller or bigger.
The breakfast which is served from 7:30 am to 10 am is very good and there is a wide choice to make between juices , flakes, bread and so on, so I can say a satisfying breakfast.
In conclusion I can really recommend this place to stay in Edinburgh, because it is very well situated near town centre with easy connections into the town centre, and the second reason, it is comfortable, the service is very friendly and the price can be accepted for that good standard .
A recommendation !:)

Room Tip: Choose rather upper floor rooms, due to their more spacious size.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

The hotel is next to Haymarket station with good bus or tram connection to the city centre (tip: buy daytickets on the bus/tram for £4 pp). We had room 10 on the top Floor of hotelnr 13. The room was clean and the comfort of the bed is Ok. Unfortunately the rooms on the top floor are next to a sort of utility or machine room that makes noise all day long. Pity! Breakfast is very good and complete. Overall good value for your money in the tourist season.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here with some other family members in different rooms. We got number 17, without ensuite,it was really small from the beginning, but they had crammed in a desk as well. I constantly hit my feet into either the bed or the desk. The continental breakfast was good, but there were mostly armchairs and coffetables to eat at, which wasn't very comfortable. Other guest very noisy at night. I think the price was far to high for what you get.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family