US$179
HolidayInn.com
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel(Edinburgh)
US$115
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$135
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
US$95
ibis Budget
4,221 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetluxury hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoormanbathrobes
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh in March 2018 for 2 nights and the hotel is definitely not a 5 star hotel and not like other Waldorf Astoria properties.

The castle view rooms we have had where all dirty and the furniture was extremely used and the quality of the breakfast was not good at all.

Unfortunately I can not recommend staying at this hotel. I hope that they will do a very big renovation soon!

2  Thank PBD1991
GMWAEdi, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear PBD1991,

Thank you for passing on your comments.

I am incredibly disappointed that your expectations were met upon your recent stay with us. It is very concerning that your allocated rooms did not meet the cleanliness standards we endeavour to upkeep, and for that I am sincerely sorry. Your comments regarding the quality of furniture and breakfast will also be very useful in helping us make the improvements that are needed to be delivering satisfying experiences for our guests.

I hope this did not have too much impact on your overall visit and were able to make the most of your time in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We booked a few days away as a mini break and decided to go all out and book a more exclusive hotel than what we are used to. We picked The Caledonian as we wanted to push the boat out. As soon as we booked we knew were entering a different class we received emails asking if we needed anything to start our break with and explained who would be looking after us. Once we arrived on the day of our booking we were early which was not a problem Meline (I hope I have her name right) greeted us and arranged for our bags to be looked after and informed us that we would be texted once the room was ready, as we were going into the city. On our arrival Lauren met us at the desk and escorted us to our room explaining our room to us and where breakfast would be served. The room was good but could have done with a bit of attention to detail as the bathroom needed a better clean and patches of the ceiling needed a touch up (we didn’t complain about the room as it was not spoiling our experience) the room had more than enough space for us (there is even a Nespresso machine for the perfect coffee). Our breakfast was included in the price of the room and was well worth it not only was there a continental option as well as buffet style full breakfast you could also order from the menu, I chose a 3 egg omelet with extras while my wife picked the eggs benedict both were cooked to perfection. We were looked after by Kris and nothing was a problem he even remembered us the next day with a hand shake. In the evening we enjoyed a cocktail in the Peacock Alley one of the 2 bars on site. We ate out having already booked at other restaurants in the city so I can’t comment on the restaurants on site. I must admit this is the first 5 star hotel we have stayed at and it was well worth the extra expense. We will stay there again of that I am sure and I would recommend staying here to anyone the level of service is second to none.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris S,

I am very appreciative of you leaving us with your feedback.

It is incredibly pleasing that you had such an enjoyable and memorable experience with us. I am particularly happy that our staff contributed to such a wonderful impression – I will be sure to let Lauren and Kris know in particular what a superb job they doing.

I certainly hope we can welcome you back here to the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian hotel.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My mum and sister booked a stay for the 3 of us as a surprise for my 30th birthday.

Pros: Concierge and door staff very polite and helpful. Peacock Alley was beautiful and such a relaxing place to have a drink. Staff in there were also very polite and quick to serve us. Location was a good as you can get if you’re there for the main attractions in Edinburgh.

Cons: Check-in is 3pm. We had arrived just after 12 so of course too early to check in. We decided to go for lunch while we waited and were told we would get a text when the room was ready. Just before 3 we went back to the hotel in the expectation our room would be ready but were told it wasn’t. We then went for a drink in Peacock Alley while we waited. It was now 20 past 3 so asked again if the room was ready - nope, still no luck. The hotel offered us a complimentary drinks voucher for the inconvenience. 10 to 4, again went to ask reception about room, finally advised it was ready. Nearly an hour later than expected, we got to go to our room. We found this very disappointing - the hotel is on the more expensive side and we should at least expect to not lose an hour from our time in the room, the drink voucher didn’t really make up for that loss.

The room was large but painted in a very dark grey and just a bit sad looking, so again slightly disappointed. The room was for 3 people but the hotel had only provided us with dressing gowns and slippers for two.

We used the pool in the morning, relaxing as it was very quiet but very few places to sit (only 3 loungers available) and isn’t particularly fancy for a 5* hotel.

We never used the spa/gym or dined in the hotel so can’t comment (£25 each for breakfast? No thanks) but overall I was left disappointed with the experience especially considering my mum chose this particular hotel as a special 30th birthday treat.

Dear uberwoman,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

I am very sorry to see that your expectations were not met upon your most recent stay with us. We endeavour to try our best to honour our 3 pm check-in time. However, the demand of business and activity can have an impact on this. Your comments regarding the decore of your room, as well as impression of the pool are much appreciated and will be helpful for considering the changes that we need to make to ensure our guests are fully satisfied.

I hope these points mentioned did not have too much of an impact on your overall visit and were able to have an enjoyable Birthday celebration.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We were excited about staying at the “Caley”
The checkin process was smooth. The breakfast was great. The concierge and doormen were extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms were large and spacious but that is where the positives ended
We had plumbing issues with poor water pressure and no hot water. We were in Room 522. (Please DO Not stay in that room)
We reported it and they initially assured it was all checked on the morning of and I had them come up and check it personally. They were going to fix it by sending a plumber but it was still not fixed later in the evening. The Manager came up and we requested to be moved to another room, but he offered us the connecting room so we could use the Bathroom and not have to move.
Initially that room had hot water but later on we realized it also had water pressure issues and there was sputtering of hot water like there was air block.
I reported it on the second day and got no response. We reported it on the third day and despite assurances that it would be taken care of, we got no response!! We got no acknowledgment of our issues from the Manager. The lady at the desk said it is an old hotel and plumbing issues are common. Not something you would expect from 5 star Waldorf Astoria

On the day of our departure we reported our unhappiness to front desk. We got a sympathetic ear from Catherine Fraser who was equally perturbed. She did acknowledge that they were planning to shut the fifth floor completely down and check for air blocks. She offered us Hilton points or waive one day stay off our bill. She did acknowledge the problem and appeared genuinely sorry about our poor experience.
This is definitely unbecoming of 5 star status and very much unlike any other Waldorf Astoria

3  Thank madhu j
GMWAEdi, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear madhu j,

I am incredibly disappointed that you experienced such major complications with the plumbing in your room. I am particularly concerned that you addressed these issues with our staff and were not given appropriate follow up and communication. Please have my assurance that this situation is being thoroughly investigated and the whole Front of House team are being re-coached on the correct way of dealing with this kind of situation. I am glad you had the opportunity to voice your concerns and offered a remedy for these mishaps.

I am pleased that your encounters with the Concierge was positive and sincerely hope you were able to make the most all the beautiful city of Edinburgh has to offer.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

The Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh is a special property. A beautifully appointed hotel that exudes genuine warmth from staff made our stay here in mid March a delight. Without exception, every staff member we interacted with couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The doormen were lovely and so full of great tips on where to go as well as very knowledgeable about Edinburgh's history. While all staff were wonderful two stand outs were Sean (doorman) and Dean McVey (Reception Manager). The room we had was very nice with an extremely comfortable bed and sumptuous linens. It is no secret that the location of this hotel is absolutely perfect and is walking distance to almost anything including historical sites, fantastic restaurants, and incredible shopping.
As someone who travels on a regular basis and stays in high end properties I have to congratulate The Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh on achieving the perfect balance of luxury, convenience, and service (with a smile).
We are very much looking forward to returning next Spring.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Ashley H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your glowing review.

I absolutely ecstatic that you had an enjoyable experience and certainly hope it was memorable. I am particularly very happy that your encounters with our staff were so engaging and positive – I will be sure to specifically let Sean and Dean know what a superb job they are doing.

We eagerly await your return next Spring.