“Good location/great staff”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #9 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 August 2017

5 members of our family stayed here in the main hotel for 4 nights. Our room, on the top floor of the hotel was small, but the quality of the furnishings inside were excellent. Although there is a busy road outside we did not hear any traffic noise at all. In fact there was very little noise from within the hotel either. We could not fault any of the staff and nothing at all was too much trouble for them. The standard of the breakfast was first class and catered for any diet. There is a bus stop outside of the hotel and there are good bus links into the city. The buses are frequent and dependant on the traffic you can be in Princess Strreet within 10 minutes.There is also free car parking to the rear of the hotel. We would recommend this small, quiet, lovely hotel and would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: If you are elderly avoid the top floor rooms as there are no lifts. One of our party had a ground fl...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim_Forres
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Hi there Jim_Forres

Thank you very much for the wonderful review and comments - although I am curious what we lost the mark on! Always looking to improve! I am so pleased we were able to accommodate you and your family to your expectations, it was a pleasure having you and I do hope we see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Dunstane Hotel

Reviewed 14 August 2017

the best place I've stayed in in Edinburgh so far; the staff is very welcoming and provides excellent service; rooms are cozy and spotless; I especially enjoyed your whisky shower gel!

will definitely stay in again when in Edinburgh

highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Hi there

Thank you so much for your review - we are so proud to be the best place you stayed in! Housekeeping will be delighted for their mention - aren't they wonderful! I look forward to meeting you in person next time

Reviewed 12 August 2017

We were flying in to start a 12 day golf trip and needed to find a place to stay for a night so we could expore the city. The Dunstane House worked out great. Rooms were very nice and comfortable. Staff was excellent and very accommodating. Bar was beatuiful and well stocked. Very convenient and short transportation to the city. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Hi there

Thank you so much to you and your group for choosing to stay with us. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your exciting trip around Scotland's golf courses.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

The main building at the Dunstane Hotel looks very attractive inside and out, but unfortunately my room was located in their less illustrious house across the street. Many of the 'average' ratings given to this hotel seem to have come from others who stayed there too. My 'wee single' was indeed wee, but fine for one night - though the furniture was not of especially high quality, and the lighting was either too low or harsh. Much worse, however, was the all-night road noise, even though my room was at the side of the building. In fact, I could hear it while I was in the bathroom even when wearing earplugs! But this was not as big a nuisance as the loud footsteps, creaky floorboards, clattering plates, and other kitchen noise *immediately* overhead from 7 am onward. It sounded at first as if someone was breaking into my room. All this despite having requested a quiet room. Ironically, when I pointed out my poor experience to staff, I was told that this was the quieter of their wee singles. I think the moral of this has to be: do not stay in a wee single unless you are immune to noise. Also, it would be better to stay in the main building if possible, especially at the prices the hotel is charging. Other features: decent breakfast; bit of a hike into the city but manageable; you have to cross a fairly busy road to move between buildings; excellent link to airport.

Room Tip: Avoid 'wee singles', and try to stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank John R

Hello John R

Thank you for leaving your comments although I am disappointed to see this review appear in spite of our conversations by email and on check out. The 'Wee' singles are indeed small, as advertised, as we do not want people to be under the wrong impression. I would not want to put future guests off staying in our 'Hampton House' - it is not 'less illustrious' just a different style to the Dunstane House and the rooms fall into a slightly cheaper price bracket so we can help accommodate all budgets. You may indeed always choose a 'luxury' room type in the main building should your budget allow but our classic rooms in Hampton House are modern, clean, well proportioned and with all the same amenities as the rooms in Dunstane House.

I am also sorry about the noise issue you suffered, we are currently working on some sound proofing for certain rooms to help with noisy guests.

As we discussed over email please feel free to contact me directly next time and I will assist in making sure you have chosen the correct room type and location for yourself.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We upgraded to the Dunstane Suite which was very nice although there was noise throughout the night from the road. The breakfast buffet was excellent but the cooked options were disappointing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi there Kate N

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. I am sorry that breakfast wasn't to your liking - this is not normal for us, we do try to make breakfast one of the highlights not to be forgotten. Please let me know next time you are visiting and I will make sure we make amends for this.