“Good Value For Money”

Edinburgh Central Guest House
Ranked #71 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I spent a night here when I had a weekend away in Edinburgh. The guest house is centrally located in the New Town, and is the most affordable accommodation I have stayed at - it is definitely worth what I paid. Having said that, the beds are very narrow - I was afraid of falling off the bed if I tossed or turned during the night. However, the linen was soft and the beds were clean. The room I had was directly adjacent to another building that had a lot of windows, and given the fact that there were no curtains in my room (just stringy hanging drape things), I had to change in the bathroom so as to avoid putting on a free show! It also made sleeping cumbersome as the street lights from outside shone directly into my room given there were no curtains. The bathroom was very nice, with a large bath and ample room. The room was very clean and the decor was very quaint. If the room came with curtains and larger beds, I'd have rated this much higher. As it is, I would still definitely say that the guest house offers good value for money and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with curtains
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 March 2017

Guesthouse is practically in the center in New Town, close to many interesting bars and restaurants. It's only a few minute walk to tram stop, Waverly Station and bus stops and all the main attractions.
I came quite early, at about 10 in the morning but the lady said it was no problem, gave me keys to the room and apologized(!) for it not being ready. She even offered that if i need room right away she can get it ready in like 10 minutes.
Room was small but cosy and clean. Bed was comfortable, there was tv and tea/coffee making facilities in the room. bathroom was shared, but of course I knew that at the time of booking. It was very clean, and frankly I never felt that I was sharing it with anyone at all, with everyone in and out at different times.
For a city center it was very quiet with only occasional car noises and sometimes bottle bins being emptied but that's nothing when you consider location.
Breakfast was one of the best I've seen in a while, there were several different types of pastries, fruits, yogurts, buns, juices. I was offered some scrambled eggs, I was really impressed. I haven't seen such a good breakfast buffet in actual hotels, never mind Guesthouses. And on my last day I was leaving before breakfast started, so the owner had lunch packed up for me to go.
It was definitely worth the money and when I come back to Edinburgh(and most definitely will) I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank mgd_lpt
Reviewed 10 February 2017

Excellent location walking distance to all restaurants, pubs, shops, transportation and museums. Rooms and bathrooms are tidied up very clean and neat daily. It feels like you go back in Victorian time, staying as a guest. High ceiling, warm heater in winter, newly renovated bathroom. Continental breakfast was served with excellent service. Lady M serves you coffee and toasts personally with a warm smile. Table layout perfectly. Hearty breakfast with ham, eggs, pastries, fruits, yogurts, cereals, coffee. Sorry, only milk, no coffee cream here. We really enjoyed our stay there, in mid January, and still miss it, even today.

Room Tip: Master suite on the second floor
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Wayne V
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

Great location. Nice clean room. Morag was lovely and very helpful. Found our room quite noisy and parking was very expensive. Good if you dont have a car. Apart from that it was an excellent stay especially leading up to christmas

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank minicraft
Reviewed 12 December 2016

Great location, great service from two ladies who dealt with us. Slightly noisy re bottle bins being emptied from nearby bars. Rooms large and roomy, only slight issue as toilet cistern took ages to fill ( room 15). Hence only 4 stars and not the 5
Breakfast basic but great value for what we paid..
Would definitely return thanks.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple