iHoliday Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Ritz Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)
View Hotel
All reviewslovely old buildingcity centrehaymarket stationmurrayfieldensuitebuses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2017

It was like being back in India! Very charming staff but very basic accommodation. Our room was a bit tired looking and the showers was not reliable ie danger of being scalded. The bed was comfy and we slept well. Fairly sure we were overcharged for what we got and although we had negotiated to have breakfast it was only served between 7.30 and 9 so that didn't happen. Won't return!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2017

On the positive side it was clean, the room spacious and it had a good shower. On the negative, there was no customer service, the front downstairs room we had was noisy with some kind of pump or maybe a drier switching on and off throughout the night, a fair bit of traffic noise and on the Saturday night we were awoken in the early hours of the morning 3 times by people returning late and drunk and trying to get in. Including by banging loudly on our window in an attempt to get an answer from hotel staff. We paid in advance for breakfast but decided to give it a miss as it was only on offer from 7-9am on weekends and we didn't want to get up that early for the toast, cereal and tea/coffee served in the lounge which was all that was on offer. The bedroom was dark in the evenings as there was no ceiling light and there was no electric socket near a mirror to allow you to dry your hair. We were asked to pay on arrival despite having already paid by card through a booking site in advance and assumed this was just a mistake. But friends also had the same experience and other reviews on here say the same - one having to wait for a refund of their duplicate payment when it was realised, so I'm not so sure.

Room Tip: Avoid the front downstairs bedroom.
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2017

Charged us twice, room was filthy, agreed to refund or credit card but didn't.
I took photos and sent to them got a promising response saying they would refund but in fact they only gave us back what we overpaid.
I took photographs of the dirt under the bed and behind the bedside cabinet but they don't do the filth justice.

Room Tip: Best to stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank David Y
Reviewed 1 October 2017

The building looks very nice, and the receptionist who welcomed me was very nice and attentive (the ones I met the following days were not that friendly). The room was clean and quiet, nice, however the shower did not really work (very hot or very cold water, impossible to adjust) and it's important to be able to shower normally... Another problem was the wifi connection that was quite bad and almost did not work from the room. Also, the breakfast is expensive and not very good but luckily there was a great breakfast place at like 5/10min from there.
If the shower problem is solved, I wouldn't mind staying in that hotel again, it was not expensive and is quite near the city centre (15-20min walking if I remember well).

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

I booked my room months ago for an overnight stay whilst attending a wedding reception. I rang the hotel direct and then compared the price online. Booking via the hotel I got it slightly cheaper and continental breakfast.

I arrived rather late and John on reception had the room ready and it was on the bottom floor as I had asked (I struggle with stairs). John was so helpful and gave lots of good advice on local transport and was even willing to call a local taxi for me.

The hotel was more than what I expected for a budget hotel on a September Friday night in Edinburgh. I've paid much more and slept in far worse. Clean, comfy beds with lovely soft towels. Admittedly there are a few things that could improve (our bedroom carpet was rather tired) but I loved the beautiful original cornicing and the simple decor. There is a lovely outside patio area and the garden furniture (elephant and rickshaw) are just lovely.

Breakfast was a simple continental affair (toast, OJ, yogurts, fruit, tea/coffee) but considering that most hotels charge extra for breakfast I was quite happy.
All in all, I would definitely book this hotel again and would happily recommend to family and friends. I feel I've won a watch and would stay again if I need to go back on to the city and would advise contacting the hotel direct for their best price!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends