“pretentious”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: TIMBERYARD created by the Radford family. A new style of restaurant aware of sustainability & the environment. Ingredients supplied by small, local, artisan growers, breeders, producers & foragers. With a south facing yard for sunny days, a wood burning stove for colder nights & private dining in our authentic brick shed. We have a bar for those who are just after a drink and a bite.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The venue is interesting and quite stylish. The food and overall ambience though was pretentious. Maybe it's better if you are not vegetarian but I thought this was overpriced, not particularly tasty and would not return.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed my (solo) lunch at Timberyard. The food was creative and thought provoking, the atmosphere couldn't be cozier, and the staff were consistently attentive and kind. The wines I drank were challenging (Tenta 2 from Ismael Gozalo and a Macvin du Jura) but paired well with the food. I will definitely return!

Reviewed 17 March 2018

While visiting Edinburgh, we went there for lunch on a weekday. (We booked a table in advance, just in case.)

The restaurant was hidden behind a big red door. It wasn't a sunny day and chilly outside in the mid March. Once we went inside, the restaurant, large space a high ceil, was comfortably warm. Candles were lit here and there. A waiter greeted us warmly and led us to a table at a wide window.

He brought two decanters of water, having asked still or sparkling water. (We chose the sparkling water) As we don't drink any alcohol daytime, we ordered non-alcohol; I had a glass of seabackthorn cordial, my son had a glass (in a wine glass) of apple & douglas fir (apple juice scented with douglas fir). They both were unusual but refreshing.

There were 4 or 6 course menus(£55 or £66), and lunch menu. We chose the lunch menu with 4 course. The lunch 4 course menu has 2 options, either meat or seafood. Actually you can choose up to 4 courses (bite as small starter for £2.5, small as starter for £7.5, large as main for £12.5, sweet as desert for £5), which is quite flexible.

Before starting the course, slices of fresh sourdough bread, accompanied with a plate of pre-starter with slices of homemade smoked speck (bacon) and duck and creamed bone marrow.

Each of us took either seafood menu or meat menu. I took only seafood dishes. Each dish was elaborated and fresh ingredients were used. We enjoyed the meal with the surprises of the combinations of ingredients.

As such an acclaimed restaurant, the price of the lunch menu with high standard was quite reasonable. We enjoyed the meal very much throughout the stay in the restaurant.

I went to a toilet next to the main hall (which was between the main hall and the shed, where private hires were available). A massive charcoaled stump was decorated on a table in front of the bathroom. I liked this idea.

The service of the staff was also welcoming. The service staff explained the meals when each meal was served. I appreciated his attitude that he asked me if he should bring the meal back until my son was back from the bathroom, when he brought our main meals.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

I first visited Timberyard back in 2013 and left a short but glowing review. I have been back a couple of times since and have still been recommending it to friends. However, we visited last weekend, a rare night out for us as a couple these days and were quite disappointed. The menu is now only tasting menus, 4, 6 or 8 courses and the matching wine options which we go for on special occasions are pricey but we thought we'd just do it as it's rare.

The first wine was a small glass of beer. The sommelier, who was lovely and really knew her stuff, told us all about this special beer (I can't actually remember what we were eating alongside it now) but I don't particularly like any beer and hubby who LOVES beer wasn't hugely bowled over by it. The wines that followed were, on the plus side, unusual, obscure, biodynamic, organic, made by small producers - all sounds great and I wanted to like them. Unfortunately, apart from the first and last wine, the others were really not to our liking. They all felt a bit like cider or homemade wine, quite yeasty and cloudy. I am not a wine expert but I love it and as much as I tried to be open minded, not only did I not really enjoy them but I felt pretty rough afterwards which is the opposite of what I thought would happen. When we said we weren't overly keen on the wine, the sommelier did say that most people didn't like the wine pairing but then quickly corrected herself to say that a lot of people specifically seek them out for that sort of wine but that classic wine drinkers find them a bit challenging. A little word of warning before we went for that, or even some suggested alternatives would have been nice.

The food was mostly very good and as I remember Timberyard's food. The rabbit dish and ox tartar were particularly yummy and there was a lot of attention to detail. I also discovered a lovely thing called nut root which I've never had before. There were a few extra bits at the start which were nice but one thing we thought was quite funny was the 2 sad looking teeny strips of soggy cucumber that came with the bread. We did visit at the end of the snow and thought maybe they were trying to spread their last cucumber between all the customers.

We left feeling a bit ripped off with the wine and wish we'd just got a bottle of something we actually liked. It's a shame but with all the other lovely places in Edinburgh and the fact that we don't get to do this too often, we probably won't be back.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

The atmosphere has not changed since it opened, the staff are as attentive as ever in a charming way.
With a friend up for the Rugby and my daughter joining us ( she was kindly fitted in at the last minute) we enjoyed the middle 7 course fixed menu and it was a delight and pleased the palate and the senses.
The wine list has grown massively and all was well apart from a 2007 Rioja which was sadly slightly out of condition, not corked but faded in the glass, which should not have happpened as they are usually wines that age well.
Notwithstanding that a continuing triumph for the Radford family.