“Mis-sold! Nothing like the online photos and needs some TLC!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Old Town Apartments
Ranked #123 of 218 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 March 2017

We were really looking forward to staying here after seeing such pleasant reviews online and from looking at the photos on their websites. I'm sad to say this apartment was the worst part of our trip to Edinburgh. Firstly, we weren't put in the apartment they said we'd be staying in (as listed in the email booking confirmation), it was a different location completely! This was quite disappointing as you expect to be staying where they say you will be! We were shown to the apartment, which was helpful, but the area we walked through to get there was odd - the main access to the apartments was via an alley; this was very creepy in the evenings! There were a few things below par in the apartment. The kitchen was tiny, the mini milks they'd provided for hot drinks were out of date, there were old manky tea leaves covering the bottom of the tea/coffee tin so it obviously hadn't been cleaned or replenished, there was a rip in the duvet, a broken peg in the bathroom (ridiculously 'mended' with a bit of sellotape), unfriendly signs on the exterior of the property, a musty smell in the apartment, uncomfortable bed, a flickering light which hadn't been fixed, out of date information in the book, and the place was in quite a dodgy area. I was very disappointed with the lack of care, cleanliness and attention and this put a dampener on the start of our trip. We were able to use the apartment just as a base and nothing else, so I got over the faults. On a more positive note, it located close to the Royal Mile, shops and restaurants, the staff were friendly and the cost was more reasonable than similar properties in Edinburgh. However I can see why! I also objected to the fact that they keep your card details in case they need to take an additional £100 'security deposit' after your stay - this was not mentioned anywhere online when I booked. Overall, it seems the quality of these properties is very inconsistent and I felt utterly mis-sold based on the pictures they show you online and due to being put into a completely different apartment to what we'd been told. I wouldn't recommend our particular apartment to anyone else, stay somewhere else!!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola_E_3

Reviewed 23 February 2016

Fabulously clean apartment, well equipped and perfect for our family of four to live in for a few days!
We were overlooking the Royal Mile on one side, and city rooftops from the other. The apartment was well set out and very comfortable.
The staff were cheerful and helpful, and we were able to leave our bags there on the last morning while we continued exploring for no additional charge.
I would remind anyone staying here that the city is not a quiet place to be - early morning can be very noisy with the rubbish collections and deliveries to the shops - but this isn't the fault of the apartment owners!
When we were there Wi-Fi didn't seem to be working, but this didn't bother us as we were so tired from exploring the city that we didn't miss it! I'm sure that this would have been sorted out if we'd flagged it up.
Overall, thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2015

We stayed at the Old Tolbooth Penthouse property and it was fantastic! The two bedroom three bathroom space was clean, comfortable and spacious. This might be one of the first places I dare say looks exactly like its pictures. Both bedrooms were spacious with their own bathrooms, each bed would comfortably sleep two. The kitchen has everything you will need including a washer. The living room is comfortable and spacious and the upstairs is a lovely place to sit and relax as well, though we did not spend much time up there. My only complaint is that we could not open the door to the balcony, the management siting safety concerns though it was just two adults staying there, so I was disappointing we could not go out on the balcony and take pictures but it was fine. While we were there the elevator was broken, which wouldn't have been such an inconvenience except we had very heavy suitcases we had to haul up 5 flights up stairs. The building is well maintained though so I'm sure it was a fluke, even with that it was well worth the stay! located on a quite street just steps off of the Royal Mile, it is easy to walk everywhere and just off the path enough to have total silence when you want it. Would highly recommend and would stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Moni558
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Great Location to Royal Mile and walking is easy to all attractions. Apartment two bedrooms with three bathrooms. Very spacious and heating in every room. Very good value and would certainly stay again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2014

We stayed in an apartment in Lady Stairs Close - 3rd floor up. Booked this many months in advance as were going to the Tattoo and wanted somewhere on the Royal Mile and with full facilities as staying 3 nights and needed washing machine etc. The apartment was old and dated - nothing like the photos on the internet. The washing machine didn't work (but the owner was most apologetic and took our washing away to get laundered for us). The bedroom was only just big enough for the bed - I had to climb over the bed to get to the other side as there was a small wardrobe jammed in the corner of the room so I couldn't walk around the bed! This made the wardrobe inaccessible also. There was only one bedside table which isn't good if you need somewhere to put spectacles, torch, x. The bedroom was at the back overlooking the Close which was quite noisy as it was a thoroughfare to the next street back. There was also a restaurant in the Close so the cooking smells were quite overpowering and they tend to have early starts - emptying out the rubbish cans!! The stairs were quite steep to climb up. The bathroom was very small and dated and could have been cleaner. Being under the sloping roof the shower wasn't tall enough for me to stand under! However, the living space was big and overlooking High Street which gave a great view of the goings on. Was very handy to everything we wanted to see. The staff were very helpful. We had a hand to take our luggage from the car to the apartment. It was very expensive but I guess in the middle of the Festival everything is in Edinburgh. If booking I suggest you find out exactly which apartment you will be in as there is obviously a big difference.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple