See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 April 2011

George and his staff are some of the friendliest we have ever encountered. The hotel is so homely and warm - we loved our big ensuite room, immaculately clean!!!
Great location - only 5 mins on a bus to city centre or a brisk 15 minute walk which we did a couple of times.

Free wifi and George was always on hand to give us ideas or information on tours, sites or restaurants.

Look forward to coming back - will be the only place we stay in Edinburgh again!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jonnyjuice
Reviewed 25 July 2010

George met us at the door with a lovely warm welcome. We had booked room 6 but George offered to show us a couple of the other rooms so we had a choice. Room 2 looked absolutely gorgeous, so we settled on it. The house is beautifully and tastefully decorated throughout, room 2 is large with a lovely bay window looking out through the trees onto the road. The room has a fireplace, 2 lounge chairs, a settee, flat screen tv, wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside tables plus clock/radio, tea/coffee/biscuits and a large tea pot (lovely). The bathroom is large,clean and modern with large bath towels, loads of hot water and every convenience provided. The wi-fi worked fine and we had a lovely quiet sleep in crisp white sheets and a comfy bed. Breakfast in the dining room downstairs was a joy, the various personal collections on display make a great conversation starter. Top marks to Harrison for being friendly, approachable and thoroughly professional. He also cooks a great breakfast! The house is a 2 minute walk to the bus stop, and Harrison will give you directions on how to get to anything in Edinburgh. We LOVED our stay at Craigelachie Hotel and would thoroughly recommend it. We hope we can return to this lovely hotel one day.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Us2Aussies
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Simply - a perfect place to stay. Clean, friendly, accomodating, great breakfast.
The little touches - that means I have come back again and again - the first week, i asked for a mug - every week one is in my room. They noted I ironned my shirts Monday evening - so every week the iron and board are setting up in my room. During the festival I had two small single rooms - when asked I said - being a big chap I always ask for a double bed - and every week since then, they accomodate me with room 9 - a perfect room. To George, the owner I can only say Freeview and flat screen TV,s one day. To Harrison - how does he get the breakfast dish so hot - and all the staff - a BIG THANK you. May you long make being a guest at your Hotel feel like a returning friend.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Diskdr
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I love this place - I stay regularly, and it's always just right. I've stayed in most of the rooms now, and apart from the singles being a little compact, they are comfortable and well-equipped. You can park on the street (a big plus in Edinburgh), and either walk along the water of Leith walkway (a scenic and peaceful 25 mins to town) or catch one of the regular buses from the bottom of the road.

The guys who run it will do whatever they can to make your stay problem-free - once I had an early flight out of Edinburgh airport, and they put together a great cold breakfast tray for me. On another occasion I was the only guest, and they asked me what time I wanted breakfast - that's what I call guest choice! Others have spoken about the fresh fruit platter, but it's a great healthy start to the day - shortly before the equally excellent full Scottish fry-up.

My one complaint? I'm never organised enough to book in advance, so can never get the dates I want in August during the Festival!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Very comfortable guesthouse. Rooms spotless, large and well appointed.
Bed comfortable. Breakfast generous, tasty and well cooked.
Friendly, helpful staff.
Hotel is 200 metres back from main road (makes it quiet), easy reach of busses to town and 10 mins walk from Murrayfield Stadium.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo