“Best veggie pizza I've had ”

Novapizza Vegetarian Kitchen
Ranked #90 of 2,571 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Neighbourhood: New Town
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

As a recently turned vegan, satisfying pizza is one thing which is hard to come by. Alas, I found Nova Pizza in Edinburgh.

The restaurant does not serve meat at all, with the menu split into vegetarian and vegan sections.

On offer is a mix of pasta dishes, pizzas and calzones. The main difference is that the vegan pizzas use vegan cheese, as oppose to normal cheese.

We decided to keep it simple and go for pizzas. Pizza toppings include your usual veggie stuff (olives, mushroom, sweetcorn etc), as well as meat substitutes (soy "fake" meats, seitan and quorn).

I had the pepperoni, and I was not disappointed. It was super spicy and tasted better than the real thing - seriously.

My companion had a Quattro Stagione - also fantastic he said (this coming from an Italian)

I can't recommend this place enough, as it has fantastic food, and proves meat is far from a necessity.

1  Thank Manish S

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

I had the vegan pepperoni pizza and it was absolutely delicious. Best Vegetarian pizza I've ever had. They have tons of vegetarian and vegan options and it's such a good feeling to be able to eat everything on the menu.

1  Thank Martyna B
Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

My friend has just been to this restaurant to get a takeaway for herself, myself and her boyfriend.

After placing our order she sat and waited half an hour before asking if it would be much longer. She was told that the order had been forgotten about and it would therefore be about another 15 minutes. The food arrived about 30 minutes later...in total she waited over an hour.

She had already paid but understandably asked if she could have some of the money back since she had been waiting for so long. The waiter (who she said was lovely, shout out to him for being the only positive part of this experience!) went to check if this was possible. When he returned he apologised, his superiors wouldn't allow it.

I am absolutely disgusted by the attitude of whoever is in charge of this place. My friend sat there for over an hour and should have received a significant discount. What amazes me most is that they offered NOTHING - if they'd even just thrown in a few soft drinks free of charge or offered a discount for her next visit, that would have been better than nothing.

I think it's fair to say they have lost at least 3 customers because of this. Well done them.

2  Thank CharryM
novapizza, Manager at Novapizza Vegetarian Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2017

Hi CharryM,

Thanks for your comment. We're very sorry you were disappointed with the service last night. There was indeed a small mistake regarding the cheque that delayed the order somewhat, and we apologise, however our waiter approached your friend to explain and asked if it would be okay, to which he was told yes. After that the food was prepared at a very normal speed and couldn't have taken another 30 minutes. All in all, the order could not have taken over an hour, as the table at which your friend sat was booked 35 minutes after the order was placed and they had not yet arrived by the time the food was ready.

Again, we are sorry you had such a poor experience.

Thanks,

Novapizza

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Being a family who don't eat much meat, I'd wanted to go to Novapizza for ages. Really wanted to love it. The staff were great, super friendly and quick service. But the food was so, so average - we left saying it was pretty similar to something you'd make at home. The pizza was absolutely drowned in cheese and the base was nothing special at all. The loo was also in need of a really good clean.
It's also pretty expensive for what it is - £50 for two starters, three pizzas and some (non-alcoholic) drinks. Such a shame as it's a cute place with nice ambience. Quality of food not a patch on Dough down the road.

2  Thank ellie1983
Reviewed 30 March 2017

After reading the many good reviews on Tripadvsor we decided to give the place a once over. My wife is a coeliac and the thought of gluten free pizza was overpowering. Well to sum up my vegetarian pizza and my wife's gluten free were superb. The lovely gentleman that served us was from Sicily and informed us that the best pizzas are from Roma where the base is thin and crispy.....just the way we like them. Our pizzas were simply the best. Great place but if going at night would suggest booking in advancee.