“Fantastic quirky wee neighbourhood cafe. Great value, super service. Good GF choice too.”

The Madhouse Bakery
Ranked #8 of 74 Restaurants in Glenrothes
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: Relaxing and welcoming coffee shop, providing fresh, homemade foods and baking also specialising in bespoke celebration cakes to order.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stopped in at the Madhouse Bakery after a mad wee stravaig by Holl Reservoir. After being battered by hail, sleet, snow, pelting icy rain and anything else the mad March gods could fling at us, needed to wrap chilled hands round a warm cup and get some soup inside to help heat me up back to a semblance of normality, and no a frozen yeti. Had to leave a couple of sodden steaming dugs in the car, though.
I'd driven past the Madhouse (still fairly new and a grand addition to Glenrothes' few choices, and had kept it in mind - and it hit the spot on this cold Saturday afternoon.
A good selection on the menu, and the prices are very reasonable - especially for the burgers, so that will tempt me back. They do a good range of gluten free options too, if that's your thing. I had a tasty bowl of soup, served with two slabs of home-made bread. Good home-baking, and very generous servings. Great service. Very child friendly too. Quirky decoration too - a great wee find. Very much recommended.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

My daughter and I went here for food and we most definitely will be back. The mad house burger was amazing, staff were awesome and the place looks great, absolutely love the decor

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We visited the Madhouse Bakery recently for lunch. It is a nice open space with not too many tables so you don't feel cramped by other people. It's clean and the staff welcoming. My husband had the all-day breakfast and I had a toasted sandwich. Mine came with a really nice, fresh salad but it was let down by the lack of a dressing. I asked at the counter for some dressing but was told they only had mayonnaise or salad cream. I said salad cream would be ok but it was never bought to the table. I couldn't be bothered asking again as I had almost finished my meal anyway. It seems a shame to serve a lovely salad and not even have a bit of dressing or even olive oil (it keeps for ages) available. A minor detail but disappointing.

Colin D, Owner at The Madhouse Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Hi Paula, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. We are saddened that you left feeling disappointed in your visit and can only apologise in regards to not bringing the salad cream to your table that you asked for, completely our fault! We have tried a couple of different dressings in the past but they weren’t well received but do agree a nice dressing would be a good option for customers. We do hope you’ll try us again as we really hate to think of our customers leaving unhappy.
Many thanks.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

As regular customers we have never been disappointed. Excellent food, prices and wonderful staff. 10.

Birrell thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, we are so glad that you and the family enjoy coming to the shop, many thanks

Reviewed 14 February 2018

I've been meaning to come here for ages as I've only heard good things about the place and we were not disappointed. I had called ahead in the morning as I wasn't sure if we would need to book and I was glad that I had as they were very busy over lunchtime!

My niece really enjoyed her soup and sandwich, and was kept occupied with the decor and the selection of toys. I had a toastie which was lovely and the other two enjoyed their baked potatoes. The portion sizes are really generous, especially for the prices. Staff were welcoming, friendly and efficient.

The menu has a great selection of food options and the cake was fantastic. My mum is already planning on bringing her friends. No doubt we will be back!

Thank you so much!! Such a lovely review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us and everything we have to offer, we hope to see you and your mum again in the future
Many thanks