All reviewscandy flosstom morrismusselsitison voucherafternoon teastandard roomsea viewwest sandsboutique hotellovely lunchlovely hotelbreakfast staffchecking outgreat roomwaiting staffbreakfast was excellenta lovely stay
Reviewed 13 January 2018

My then boyfriend, and now fiance, had booked a romantic five night stay at the Hotel Du Vin. He had notified the staff that he was planning on proposing and had booked the Tom Morris suite and spent lots of time planning the proposal. On our first night he had booked a three course meal for us in the restaurant, and suddenly one of the staff came over and wanted to take a photo of us with champagne, saying he was sending the photo of us to the hotel's events planner and posting it on their Facebook page. My fiance and I were completely perplexed by all of this as he had not proposed yet. We never received a proper apology or compensation for this staff member revealing the engagement. My fiance had spent months planning the entire event and it was naturally quite upsetting when one of the staff members decided to reveal it to me before my fiance had proposed. We got the impression that the staff member was trying to make our engagement into a free wedding advertisement for the hotel. They seem to have big plans for wedding events (judging from the wedding poster in their reception and their Facebook page, so our engagement seemed convenient to them I suppose). All the staff avoided us for the rest of our five day stay, did not offer us an apology or compensation. I thought this was all rather unprofessional to put it mildly. When they make such a huge error they should at the very least try to make it up to us. When we were checking out, having spent five nights without an apology or compensation, we told them again how disappointing it had been for us having the surprise spoiled. The receptionist acknowledged that she knew about the event, but still did not try to rectify the situation. After arriving back home my fiance got an email, where they yet again acknowledged what had happened, but justified it by saying that the staff member had been so excited and that is why he ruined the surprise. I fail to see how his excitement justifies him spoiling the surprise. It is truly a shame about all of this as the hotel room was gorgeous. I definitely give the hotel room top marks, but the attitude of the staff and the way they handled this unfortunately does not match what could be a very high standard.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Embla12
Herve B, General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Dear Embla,

Congratulations on your recent engagement. I am very sorry we spoiled your fiancé's surprise. We take great pride at the hotel to celebrate our visitors' special occasions. However this time we were too keen and too early and please accept my most sincere apologies.

I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and wish you our best wishes for your wedding plan.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Visited StAndrews for the 3rd time this year and took my daughter for a 3 night break before the christmas holidays. As part of our trip, I booked the 3 course champagne lunch for the Saturday and afternoon tea for the Sunday. On both occassions, the food was incredible (not to mention the champagne with lunch and prosecco with afternoon tea). Not only was the food amazing howver we were so very impressed with the staff who complemented the overall experience. We would like to say a special thanks to Kevin who we met on both days and was extremelly friendly, informative and provided an excellent service. On the Saturday we were also served by another young waiter and I cant recall his name ( date was Sat 9th December 2017)and again he was very attentive. On Sunday Kevin and Sue served out afternoon tea again with a warm smile and a warm welcome. What a great experience they gave us and Im sure they are a huge asset to the team at hotel du vin...also our immense compliments to the chef. As a result we will bw visiting again on 16th February for another champagne lunch and we are bringing friens. Thank you all, so much appreciated Karen and Jennifer

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your recent return visit and the great feedback. Much appreciated your comments and rest assured I will share with Kevin, Sue and all.
We look forward to welcoming you back on the 16th February.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We visited St Andrews in the first week of January. The hotel has a great sea front location . The staff were really friendly and attentive and the breakfast was delicious offering lots of choice.
However......the bed was really short. My partner is 6ft 1 inches tall and his feet were entirely hanging off the end of the bed.
When asked at reception if we could move rooms we were told that all the beds were the same size! Disappointed!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura H

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your recent visit and the great feedback on the team. I am sorry your partner found the bed too short and will continue monitoring such feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for my bday and had a fab time. Our room was big and had a great view that overlooked the water. Due to the bad weather we booked dinner in the hotel and glad we did as it was very good staff were friendly and welcoming. The Sommelier also made a very good wine recommendation too. We had a drink in the bar after dinner which is quite dark but atmospheric. Overall I had a really good stay and would look forward to returning here when in St. Andrews again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1986Gla

Thank you for your recent review and the great feedback you provided. It is much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Welcome reception, voucher for welcome dram of whiskey swapped for wine given we weren’t whiskey drinkers but the house wine was actually not drinkable - we ordered 1red and 1 white - both were bad; which wasn’t what was expected in Hotel Du Vin! Bed was very comfortable but room actually wasn’t big enough for the size of the bed (king size).

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leanne A

Leanne,
Thank you for your recent review and the feedback you provided. I am sorry you didn't enjoy our house wine but pleased you thouroughly enjoyed our beds.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes