1,596 results
All reviews four poster bed roll top bath whisky room stained glass windows monsoon shower west end nespresso machine deep bath classic room luxury hotel beautiful hotel great western road huge bathroom beautiful room birthday treat byres road mini bar
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Among the largest rooms , with nice facilities. Food was ok but wine list is excellent. 5 large terraces houses joined to make a stylish hotel . Certainly not modern minimalist, but stylish , comfortable with great period features . Noise from hallway and road is an issue on the ground floor.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2016

Dear PJCooneySpringfield,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted you liked our Grand rooms and hotel. We can certainly allocate you a back facing room on an upper floor for future visits.

I hope we'll see you again very soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Our friends stayed here last Christmas and invited us to join them this year. The 3 day package is excellent value, providing luxury accommodation for 3 nights, a 3 course dinner on Christmas Eve, breakfast on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and 27th, a 3 course lunch on Christmas Day and a 4 course lunch on Boxing day. The food was, on the whole, really good although menus were a bit samey each day. The breakfasts were great with the mashed avocado on toast with poached eggs and chili flakes especially good. The only real grumble I would have is that on Christmas Day our lunch was at 12:30 which really was too early, especially as no other food is included later in the day. After having had breakfast, we weren't really ready for lunch but then had the rest of the day to go without eating. On Boxing day our lunch was 14:00 which was much better for us. The accommodation was lovely and we really couldn't fault things. Our room was fairly compact but very comfy and they have interesting bathrooms with doors which can open into the bedroom, if that takes your fancy and great for watching the tv whilst in the bath. I guess for a 5 star hotel, it could do with a little tlc especially in common areas but for the price, the package was excellent value. All staff were really pleasant and helpful and the whole stay felt comfortable and relaxed. Our friends have two Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs which the hotel allows in certain rooms which was really good for us as a party. We would certainly think about doing the same again next year either at the same hotel or one of the other Hotel du Vin locations, if we could get a later lunch on Christmas Day.

Room Tip: We had the Tomasi Amarone room which was lovely

Dear alijwhelan,

Thank you for your fantastic review - I'm delighted you had such an enjoyable festive visit! We do also offer a later lunch sitting (3.30pm) on Christmas Day but this tends to fill very quickly. If you would like to book again for next year at this time, please do let us know as quickly as possible and we'll reserve this for you.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we'll see you again very soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

I had been looking forward to this stay for a long time.

I had booked it as a surprise for my girlfriend as I was planning on proposing that day and going back to have a night at One Devonshire Gardens.

I visited the hotel the morning of the booking with our bags and a bottle of Prosecco. I asked for our bags to be in our room and the bottle to be chilled so we could have them on arrival.
Unfortunately when we came to check-in (45mins after designated check-in time) I was told our room was not ready and both our bags and the bottle of Prosecco were still sitting behind reception where they were when I left. Basically there was no point on me making the journey over to them that morning to drop it all off.

When we got to the room it was lovely and I do like the decor. Unfortunately they have probably the most frustrating light system I have come across which involves a remote control some numbers and a varying combination of switches. We eventually, almost got the hang of it, but I have no idea why it's there or if anyone ever would appreciate it. Just use a switch! Upon closer look a lot of the furniture was marked, chipped and wallpaper was loose and needing replaced. Attention to finer detail was lacking. I expected better if I'm honest.

We went down for dinner at the hotel. First and foremost the food was fantastic and the serving staff were pleasant throughout.
Unfortunately our bill was wrong and we had to point it out (we were undercharged) and the second time our bill was brought back the service charge was removed (it had been on the previous bill) so we weren't sure what we were supposed to do regarding service charge (we ended up just leaving a tip).
Further to this, a family member (who works for the hotel chain but in a different hotel) had been in touch previously and asked for us to get some champaign. However this never happened and we only found out after our meal when she asked if we had received it.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the black-out blinds were great. Sadly the noise of ambulances woke us a few times, not something the hotel can really help though.

It is a lovely hotel and some of the staff were very helpful and pleasant. I do like the style of the place however I don't think I'd pay that amount of money to stay there again and left somewhat disappointed. I think better attention to detail is needed.

Room Tip: If you're not bothered about a view, ask one away from the main road to avoid noise of traffic and ambulances.
2  Thank Chris H

Dear Chris H,

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your recent engagement. I'm sorry to read that there were a few issues that marred your experience of the hotel and will ensure that they are addressed.

The restaurant did receive a phone call for champagne later in the evening but the gentleman could not provide a name for the reservation and there was no-one who fitted the description he gave in the restaurant at the time he called.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2016

We booked in to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas night in this lovely hotel and our son and his partner joined us for the meal on the 25th. We have stayed here several times before and the service as always was second to none. The rooms have been redecorated since our last stay and are much brighter. One of our party is in a wheel-chair and she was looked after with fantastic care. (They even discreetly raised the table in the dining room so that her chair could fit comfortably.) Everyone loved their meal so compliments to the chef. The poached eggs with chilli and salsa is a great idea for breakfast. All in all, although it is undeniably an expensive treat, you could not choose a better way to spend Christmas.

Room Tip: Take an upgrade if it is on offer. Although all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank cassady99

Dear cassady99,

Thank you for your fantastic review - I'm delighted you had such an enjoyable Christmas with us.

I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back next Christmas, if not before!

Reviewed 27 December 2016

We booked a standard room at the Hotel du Vin One Devonshire Gardens we stayed overnight on the 11th December. In itself the room was fine, however, I would describe the bathroom as really quite " tired" the tiles as you entered the shower very much needed attention, it was the same around the wash basin with seal affected by mould clearly needing attention. Also above the wash basin itself obvious spray was evident where people had been brushing their teeth, the same was also evident on the mirror. Being in a standard room should not mean a lowering of standards. With regard to the staff they were they were as on our previous visit very good, very pleasant and attentive. Our meal also was very good, small things matter and in this case the bathroom simply was not up to the standard we expected.

Room Tip: Our room was " Porter's Rest " you may wish to avoid it.
1  Thank J L