Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
The Boat Hotel(Boat of Garten)
US$111
US$175
US$140
Cairngorm Hotel(Aviemore)
US$144
All reviewsaspects restaurantexecutive roomswimming poolleisure centreaviemore resortbuffet breakfaststeam room and saunamain receptionitalian restaurantweekend breakstayed here for two nightstea and coffeespey valleydb benjoyable stayplay areatwo night stay
Reviewed 16 December 2015

We came up to Aviemore as a large family group, 14 of us age ranging between 2 and 76, including one of the family who is terminally ill and a wheelchair user, we took 6 rooms in the hotel and it was a wonderful experience. The staff could not have been more helpful, the hotel is not ideally equipped for wheelchairs but has had enough adaptations to allow us to access the entire hotel and other buildings, even though we had to negotiate some detours. However the staff were always on hand to help us and to make our visit as enjoyable as possible and we got everywhere we wanted to go.
We were particularly impressed with being able to bring the wheelchair poolside so everyone could enjoy watching the children swim.
The visit to Father Christmas was also excellent and everyone was so accommodating. We were late getting to Santa's wood cabin due to the limitations of our party but no one minded, and when Santa realised we couldn't get into his cabin with the wheelchair he came out, posed for photos, made sure the doors were wide open so everyone could watch the children meet him, we were not rushed and we felt so welcome.
The entertainment was excellent, so much to do for all the family. We loved the elves, particularly Magic Mike who remembered the childrens names, turned up at mealtimes and for fun and games to keep the children busy. He was a funny and friendly person and a great hit with all our family.
Our rooms were comfortable and well equipped, the food was fabulous and it was such a wonderful weekend it was well worth the trip up from Somerset, we would certainly recommend this to other families.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had such a good stay. Our Santa weekends have received extremely positive feedback. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Santa and the elves.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend with my mum. Large and spotless room, well equipped with nice organic teas and toiletries etc. Although there were a lot of kids for the Christmas parties, our room was still very quiet and peaceful. The day we were meant to check out my car had broken down so ended up staying a further two nights with my other half. Throughout our stay the staff were amazing. Done everything they possibly could to help. Big thank you Laura at the main reception of the resort and the other staff that helped at that desk. Although it was heavy snow and our bags were heavy the staff happily helped me carry them to the car. Huge big choice at breakfast... Had dinner at the Italian restaurant, with a nice atmosphere and delicious food. Looking forward to returning and hopefully no car troubles! X

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review on Trip Advisor. I delighted to read that you had a great time.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2015

me and my partner went here for a few days away, the room was lovely bed was massive in the classic double room, bathroom facilities were amazing, staff in the hotel were very friendly and welcoming. We didn't eat in the hotel as we found the prices to be very expensive but we did take a walk down to the town and had drinks and dinner down there. we went to the activity center on the Wednesday afternoon, i felt the staff to be very abrupt with no sense of humor at the reception. The pool was a good temperature and the sauna was amazing. We booked bed and breakfast and the breakfasts were really good a lot of variety.

If you are staying in this hotel i would recommend heading out to the town for dinner to save yourself a little money

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you kind comments on the bedroom, pool area and breakfast.

We do offer very competitve dinner bed and breakfast rates of just an extra £10.00 per person. When booking dinner bed and breakfast you get the choice of our many restaurants. On your next visit I hope you take advantage of this offer and experience the food we have to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 December 2015

The Highlands Hotel sits amongst some of the most spectacular, mountain scenery in the world. This hotel thoroughly deserves it's 4* rating - comfortable, clean, beautifully decorated for Christmas and offering first class food in the hotel's restaurant. The bedrooms are well equipped and also have some lovely little extra touches. The hotel staff could not have been nicer and more helpful. The hotel village offers swimming and spa facilities, where our grand children, who stayed at the Aviemore - part of the hotel village, really enjoyed the waves and childrens' activities. What a brilliant way to get you into the Christmas spirit, real snow as well.

Stayed: November 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review.

I am pleased to hear that we have got you in the Christmas spirit.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the Resort in the New Year.

Reviewed 1 December 2015

Well first time stay here and very impressed by the whole experience. The Rooms very elegant and extremely clean. Check in went A one Laura on reception very polite and helpful she explained everything that we could do on the resort. The barperson Gabor I think his name was excellent guy could not do enough for you and really good and getting involved in the conversation which you look for in a bar person, he was one of the reason we came back from the town early and sat in the hotel bar. But all the staff a credit to MacDonald's Chain. Already planning next trip but change of plan we are going back to the Highland Hotel. Well Done All. Oh Not forgetting breakfast the best I have had and a first having the cook chat away while cooking my fried eggs fresh.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a nice stay. I will be sure to pass on all your kind comments to Laura and Gabor.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort soon.