Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
The Boat Hotel(Boat of Garten)
US$84
US$119
US$110
Agoda.com
Carrbridge Hotel(Carrbridge)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsaspects restaurantexecutive roomswimming poolleisure centreaviemore resortbuffet breakfaststeam room and saunamain receptionitalian restaurantweekend breakstayed here for two nightstea and coffeespey valleydb benjoyable stayplay areatwo night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We booked one night at the Macdonald Morlich Hotel as we planned to travel up, stay the night and then visit the Highland Wildlife Park the next day. The hotel was only 15 minutes drive from the park so it was good location for us. I emailed the hotel in advance to ask about the facilities but never got a reply back. After driving for four hours, we arrived at the hotel to find a sign at the door saying the Morlich was closed and to make our way over to the Highland hotel. We went into the hotel to see the receptionist on the phone, when she spotted us she said “I’ve got a guest, I’ve got a guest, I need to go”. She never apologised for the hotel change and checked us in to our room. We had no idea how to find it and had to wait for her to finish talking to other people to ask for directions. We had to go out the building, across the car park into another building and up three flights of stairs. The room had an awful smell, it felt unclean and was very tired and outdated. Considering we had booked what looked like a bright, modern and updated room at the Morlich we were not happy. We phoned down to reception, the girl who checked us in answered and was quite rude, she asked if the problem was a smell. We seen somebody taking a dog in the hotel so I’m not sure if this is what she meant. She agreed to look for something else and call us back. When she phoned back she said if we came to reception she’d give us the key for a different room. We lugged all of our luggage back to reception and went to the next room, which was fortunately in the building but still quite far away. It’s like a maze. The girl at reception never offered us any help with our bags and said to check the room was ok and call her to let her know. We went into the room, to discover it was exactly the same but with a bigger bed. By this point my partner was getting annoyed. After driving for four hours, she wanted to relax and settle down. We tried to phone reception but nobody answered our numerous calls. So we carted our luggage back to reception where we were told there wasn’t much she could do and to sit and wait for a manager. We sat for around 25-30 minutes, when eventually a manager came. She was lovely and apologised. She offered us the only suite in the hotel, at this point we were considering asking for our money back and going elsewhere but my partner was getting tired and agreed to the offer. The manager was very helpful and offered to carry our bags. When we got to the suite, it was ok. It was still sort of dated, there was dirty marks on the walls and doors, the toilet hadn’t been flushed from previous use, there was only two towels one of which had turned yellow, the bed sheets were rough/pooky and past their best. At around 6pm, we decided to go to the pool, one of the main reasons for choosing this hotel was the wave pool and water slide. When we got down we discovered they were both off. I asked the main desk and we were told they were only operating between the hours of 11-5. On the website it says 8am-8pm it didn’t say anything about this. When we went back the next morning after check out it didn’t open til five past 12. It feels like you’re paying for one product and getting another. On Wednesday night, I went to take a bath but there was only a little hot water then the rest was cold so we had to boil the kettle to get hot water. We went to a local Indian restaurant for dinner, Royal Tandoori and it was 10/10. The hotel has various restaurants and shops nearby so can’t fault the location. Also we had breakfast in the hotel, it was buffet style and a great selection (that was probably the best part of the hotel). Overall this was an awful stay and we would encourage people to look elsewhere before booking. We have looked at previous reviews and see that this has happened to others.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Whole family loved the evening entertainment. The team were excellent - a shame that it was very quiet - perhaps due to lack of advertising but the movie magic / stage and screen express show were of very high calibre and the staff really made our children (and us!) very welcome. Thank you Jordy and team! The kids also loved the pool and soft play (it’s well suited to older kids as well as wee ones) We were moved to the Highlands hotel and had two adjoining rooms for 2 adults / 2 kids which worked well. Room a little tired but the bed was very comfortable so can’t complain. Breakfast service a bit hit and miss but range of food good. Would definitely come back as the experience that the resort offers ticks all the boxes, even if a bit rough around the edges.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We booked in for 2 nights for special occasion. Hubby requested executive room and explained was a special occasion over the phone ..he was asked if he would like to have a bottle of wine in the room and would get it reduced price if he purchased it there and then instead of later in the hotel. He accepted the offer and we looked forward to our stay.
On arrival we found the requested executive room although quite spacious, had horrible view of electric pumps in car park. Asked to be moved and were told if we wanted a nice view it would have to b a double room.
Then dinner, ordered chicken and was presented with very bland boring plate of food. Piece of roast chicken, mash and ONE sprig of broccoli! And watery gravy.
Having Scotland's larder on the doorstep and veg being the cheapest thing on the plate, they really should be piling it on .
Then the wine...we had none in our room as promised and were charged for it in restaurant!
Then the breakfast...waited 25mins to be seated. Watched 10 tables lying waiting to be cleared by very young staff that wandered around aimlessly as if there was all the time in the world. Won't be going back to this hotel

1  Thank Angela S
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We originally booked a different hotel so I was surprised when they phoned in advance to say we were being moved to a different one on the site. Then I read some of the recent reviews on here, and so did my wife, and to be honest, we were NOT really looking forward to our week away with the kids.
So I was very pleased to find the hotel was lovely, the food was fantastic, and the facilities all great. And the staff were friendly too!
The room (2224) was a little cramped (we were supposed to have a partition and two TVs in our original hotel) but it was clean and modern enough. My one bugbear was the window which, despite being double glazed, had a gap in the bottom right corner which let in the cold breeze and sound of the road but honestly, it wasn't major. Could do with being fixed though....
The pool was great for the kids, with a good, proper shallow end that our 4 year old could walk and play in, and a decent slide which the staff opened specifically for us which I thought was good of them as we were the only ones there!
The soft play is excellent, with three levels of slides and stuff and our kids (daughter is 10) really enjoyed going in there every day.
The Activity Centre is amazing for the children - we never even went there until our third day and our son didn't want to leave, there is so much to do with Lego, marble run, Xbox One, a stage, dress-up, calm room, babies room....honestly, it kept them (and us!) occupied for hours and it was all clean and modern. The toilets needed some bleach put down them and flushed, and our one "bad" experience with staff was in here where the woman with glasses was a bit rude to my daughter for no reason and stomped about putting toys away as if she was in a bad mood but maybe she was having a bad day?
We paid for dinner and breakfast and honestly, the food was superb. Really. Breakfast has so much to choose from and it's all good stuff. Nice cooked stuff of good quality, yoghurt, smoothies, fruit, breads, seeds, cereal, all of my family enjoyed it every single day.
Dinners - the menu was a little limited in terms of the same thing being on so we tended to stick with things we knew we'd like. That being, for me, burgers and fish & chips while the kids had pasta and pizza. Every night the food was excellent - I think the burgers are possibly the best I've ever had. One of the nights I think the chef couldn't be bothered cutting the potato into chips so I got the biggest chips I've ever seen in my life, but in general, we all LOVED our dinners. Desserts were just as good as the main meals although I must admit, if paying seperately, I'd not be pleased at the prices. £8 for 4 scoops of ice-cream? It didn't matter to us as we paid in advance (and never went over our allocation as it's generous enough).
The whole site is well run and maintained and we really enjoyed our stay, despite the fact every floor looks exactly the same and the place is a maze as a result!
The first hotel on the site when you drive in, on the left, also looks like something from Cold War-era USSR, I was so pleased we weren't staying there - I thought it must be an old disused BT office or something it is so ugly, but that's one black spot on an otherwise great complex.
So don't let the other reviews put you off, wait until you get there and make your mind up! We LOVED it and it's great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I spent the last weekend at this hotel from Friday to Sunday.The complex was very easy to find but not so easy to find the reception. We found it was very poorly signposted considering the entrance was hidden behind bushes.Check in was very easy with very polite staff, The hotel reception and lobby was very well kept.The room was great size with a lovely big comfortable bed and great pillows.This obviously lead to a great sleep.
We had a meal in the restaurant the first night. It was a nice treat in a relaxing atmosphere.This was were we had breakfast in the mornings were there was lots of choice.
Overall we would visit again as it was a lovely break.