US$289
US$258
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$340/night.

Kingsmills Hotel(Inverness)
    US$137
    US$127
    Hotels.com
    Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$166/night.

See what travellers are saying:
    Reviewed 12 October 2012

The accomodations were fine and the bed was comfortable. The room was a bit cold. The bathroom is down a few stairs but I didn't find this to be a problem. The limited shower times do create a problem in the morning when multiple guests are trying to get ready in two hours. I rushed showers before the nighttime cutoff to avoid the morning traffic jam.

The breakfast was so-so. It was hearty and fine but nothing exceptional.

However, I will say, I did get an odd vibe from the whole experience. We had not read tripadvisor beforehand so reading it now was like an "aha" moment. These other reviews reminded me that my gut is pretty spot-on. As exaggerated as some reviews may seem, having stayed here, I can believe they are true.

I felt like an intruder in a private home, rather than a paying guest at a B&B. There was a feeling that we needed to be invisible as we came and went. As an adult, the host waiting up for every night and appearing at the door out of nowhere was off-putting. Also, we never saw his wife though we heard her. That made us a bit uncomfortable when we were clearly staying in their family home (unlike other B&Bs where you are separated from the living space). We were aware of the family hours before our trip and respected these times. However, it did make it quite inconvenient when we forgot things at our room or wanted to drop things off.

He did tend to ramble which we attributed to quirkiness (hey, we're all unique). However, his rambling sometimes bordered on offensive and opinionated, two things you don't really want to encounter during a leisurely vacation.

I would say the price in the area was not a steal and I would seek other accomodations. Even though we did not experience anything close to other reviewers I would not stay again. The last thing I want is to go on vacation and feel uncomfortable.

Inverness, however, was amazing and really worth the visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank LoBrendel82
    Reviewed 7 August 2012

had an err interesting B and B experience Strathisla, Crown, Inverness on Thurs. Had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights for the Moy games from the link on their site. Arrived on the thurs pm, rooms small and dated but clean. given code for door, came back very late as had fish to collect etc, went to enter code but door opened by owner who had waited up for us. He demanded payment accusing us of planning...to do a runner first thing the next morning?? as they didn't take cards or cheques and i didn't have all the cash, he refused to let us stay. He kicked us out at midnight despite having booked 2 nights and offering my handbag and phone as security till I went and got the cash out. So i spent thurs night sleeping in my van with a lobster suit for a sleeping bag and my tablecloth as a blanket!! shocking highland welcome! we were polite, were clearly working, smartly dressed etc

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
    15  Thank Jess D
    Reviewed 17 November 2009

I arrived in Inverness at 5:20pm yesterday, and quickly made my way to Strathisla Guesthouse on Charles Street.

I'm a researcher for a university, and do a lot of travelling in Scotland, so I'm fairly used to Scottish B&B fare, all of which has been good in my experience - except for this awful joke of a place.

The owner opened the door to me and, noticing that I had smoked outside, informed me that if he had known about my habit (be it pursued outdoors or not), I would not have been offered a room.

Putting this needless lack of manners behind me, I was shown to my room (no. 2). The walls were ornamented with notices of petty rules, the most shocking of which was the demand that guests vacate the house between 10am and 4pm, 'our family time!'. This sort of stricture happens at Youth Hostels, but not in any guest house I've been to.

The disclosures mounted. At Strathisla, you cannot shower outside the hours of 7:30-9:30am or 7:30-10:30pm, and you are entitled to only one shower per day. What if you get drenched in an Invernesian downpour and need a wash?

The following morning, I breakfasted and then returned to my room. It was only 8:50, so I lay down for a while, to be soon disturbed by the aforementioned creep banging on my door, asking me to get up and out. He also shouted through the door that my light was on.

I showered quickly, ignoring the stupid rule, packed my bags and made for the hall, but not before I surreptitiously phoned other guest houses.

Informing the owner that I wanted to check out, he replied 'Yes, I knew it wouldn't work out', and went on to accuse me of having spent the previous night getting drunk in the town and coming home late. (I had actually dined out the previous evening and enjoyed a good walk around the town, returning to Strathisla at 10:35.)

Having been quoted a tariff of £25 over the phone, I was now asked to stump up £30. I did this with good grace and happily got to my alternative accommodation.

It seems that the man I dealt with has a knack for making guests feel uncomfortable, so it's heartening to see the other reviews here - they aren't wrong!

In short: if you want to stay in Inverness, definitely look elsewhere. Strathisla is an embarrassment to Scottish hospitality. And that's what I'm going to tell the officials in the tourist office.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
    10  Thank usherikov
    Reviewed 6 October 2009

Myself other half and some friends travelled to Inverness to take part in the Inverness marathon, understandably Inverness was pretty full, so i was delighted when I stumbled accross the Strathisla who could accomodate us all.
    My delight was short lived.
    When we got to check in at 4pm in the afternoon, we were greeted by the owner !! At first we just thought perhaps just an excentric, until he told us how to operate the door knob!! Several ramblings later we managed to shake him off and get into our rooms which were basic and clean enough, however freezing cold and non of ther rooms were en-suit which we were aware of before we arrived, this didn't cause too much hassle as my party took up all 3 rooms in the house and we managed to work it between us.
    However, instructions were everwhere, when you could and could not shower, when you had to be out fo the house each day, between 10am and 4pm for their family time etc.
    A couple of us had gone back to the GuestHouse early only to be greeted athe door by the owner who seemed to appear from nowhere and gave us into trouble for not closing the gate!
    The following morning at breakfast, he couldn't have been more rude. One of asked if we could hav breakfast without scrambled egg, he promptly snapped at us "Thats what we asked for the night before, so thats what your getting"
    He then gave us into trouble for not putting the tea pot on the stand, and for one of us not using the saucer, even though the cup was on a place mat !
    He then barged into the breakfast area and asked my other half specifically, if he had left a light on in the room? "if your not in the room, the light goes off"! how the hell did he know there was a light left on????????
    I didn't feel welcome and I didn't feel comfortable staying there. I definately wouldn't recommend staying there to anyone, it was all too odd and strange and didn't know what the hell the owner was talking about the majority of time with his incoherent ramblings about nothing and everything. I really dont enjoy writing anything negative about anything or anybody, but I have never stayed anywhere like this before, nor would i want to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
    4  Thank Glasgow1976
    Reviewed 8 October 2008

Stayed last weekend wearing two jumpers and thick socks as it was freezing. suitcase sized radiator not enough to heat the room and only on a certain time ( a hour!!) Must have a shower on certain time one a day! Basically kicked out of the room from 10am to 4pm in the cold due to their 'Family Time'. Find the owner very rude. Told us off for leaving the light on while having breakfast. No choice for breakfast and very bland. Would not recommend it at all.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
      • Check-in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    4  Thank ddee74