“Not a good night sleep”

McKays Hotel, Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 65 Pitlochry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Our experience of this hotel started bad and went downhill. We arrived to see two entrances, we went in the left side that had Reception listed above it. On entering we appeared to be in an eating area. Tried to ask a member of staff (a young Woman who was serving) where the reception was. She completely ignored us, after three attempts to ask. After finding the reception ourselves (stuck stangely in a corner) we were told we were 15 minutes early and would need to come back.
Anyway, eventually checked in and went to room. I've only been in one smaller room in my life and that was in the middle of San Francisco. Tried to tell ourselves that we only need to sleep here so won't let the tiny size affect us.
Anyway went out for the rest of the day and returned around 11pm. There was a disco going on in the hotel but as we had had a long day we decided to go to bed. What a waste of time that was. With the noise coming from the disco we might as well have been in the function room itself. This went on well after 1am. This is not what I would expect from a hotel without at least being pre warned. It was one of the worst nights I've had for some time.
On a good note, the breakfast was good and the waiter was very cheery and attentive. That is the only good note. I would not stay here again
This hotel needs to decide if it wants to be a hotel or nightclub. Without any soundproofing it can't be both.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and diet before yougo
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Andrew M, General Manager at McKays Hotel, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Good Evening Alandchris1993,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review McKays Restaurant Bar & restaurant. It is important that when we get things wrong that we are informed in order to correct our mistakes.

Secondly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. This is certainly not how we expect things to be here. I will be forwarding your review to all staff members and arranging an in depth retraining session also. However I am extremely pleased you enjoyed your breakfast experience and have passed on your comment to your waiter.

In regards to the disco, I can only apologise that you were not informed of this before booking your stay. This is a relatively new night we have going on at the moment so perhaps you booked a room before the disco plans were in place. But I take on your comment and will make sure we inform all of our guests in the future.

We hope to welcome you back to McKays Hotel Bar & Restaurant in the near future to see any improvements we have made.

King Regards
Andrew M

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Stopped here for lunch and had a wonderful experience. Although they were busy the lady wearing the pink blouse was wonderful. When she delivered our food to us she apologised for the length of time that we had to wait. I also heard her apologise to other customers. Nothing was too much trouble for her.

Stayed: August 2017

Thank you so much for your brilliant 5* review!

It is wonderful to get such great feedback from our guests. Our team work hard day in day out to try to ensure the service & food are always 100% satisfactory.

Thank you for your patience during our busy time, and for acknowledging your waitresses apologies for the wait. I will be sure to pass on your compliments.

I will share your feedback with all staff members who I am sure will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed your McKays experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to McKay's again in the very near future!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

We ordered our food, then waited 45 minutes for our lunches to arrive - nothing from any of the waiting staff to explain the long wait. Finally our food arrived, 3 of our meals, one of the meals we were informed had been dropped on the floor and would be a few more minutes. No apology for our long wait and no apology for the fact one of our lunches had been dropped. We understand accidents happen however the Irish lady serving us didn't seem to care very much.
Finally the chicken fillet burger arrived and we all had our food, to find that the toppings that had been requested not to be on the burger were all over it, however at this point we were starving so just got on with it.
And after we received our food was the last we heard from the staff, having to seek out the dessert menu for ourselves. Desserts ok but overpriced and fairly small.
Lunch was good but took an unacceptable amount of time to arrive. Service was non existent. Table behind us also experienced problems.
On going up to the bar to get the bill as nobody approached us to offer it, we mentioned the long wait to the girl behind the bar and in response heard the bar staff sniggering and talking about us right in front of us, very rude and immature. No apology at all. Would not return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank heyitsaimee
Andrew M, General Manager at McKays Hotel, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Secondly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you did not fully enjoy meals or the service. This is certainly not how we expect things to be here, therefore I will be forwarding your review to all staff members and arranging an in depth retraining session also.

I would like to talk to you personally about your review so we can rectify the problems you had. Please email me directly using the email address provided on our website or call the hotel and ask for myself (Andrew)

We hope to welcome you back to McKays Hotel Bar & Restaurant in the near future to see the improvements we have made.

King Regards

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We stayed at McKays on a jorney from the South up to the Western isles. Pitlochry looked like a reasonable stopover.

Access to the hotel is reasonably easy and we had no problem with parking - this was good after a long drive.

We had three rooms, as there were five of us. The rooms were across the road from the main hotel and above other shops/restaurants. Staff were good in showing us where the rooms were.

The rooms were I though relatively small and basic based upon the price, but nice enough. The rooms had original windows, not double glazed and we were worried baout road/street noise - this was not however a problem.

Breakfast was good.

OK for a stopover, would not really want to stay longer but would stay again on the way through.

Room Tip: Not sure - ours faced the road and was not a problem
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Good Afternoon ncm1965,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here at Mckays Hotel Bar & Restaurant.

We are really pleased to hear you were happy with our friendly service and enjoyed your short stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We stopped on a tour so we had limited time (60 min). We ordered our food and drinks after waiting about 5 min. We waited 50 minutes before we had to cancel our order. They suggested that we shouldn't have come there to eat and should have eaten somewhere else. They did give us some of our food to take away but the salad was soggy and my hamburger was cold.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review McKays Hotel Bar & Restaurant,

I cannot apologise enough for the time you waited on your meals. We do experience very periods of service every day at peak times however this should have been explained to you on your arrival.

I will be passing on your review to all staff members and will ensure a retraining session takes place immediately, as this is not the type of high standard we expect from our staff at McKays.

I do hope you welcome you back to McKays if you are ever in Pitlochry again to show you the improvements we have made.

Kind Regards