“Buy the best served the best!”
Review of Macfarlane

Macfarlane
Ranked #2 of 207 Restaurants in Ayr
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Warm, inviting, relaxed and personal dining.
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

I've heard about this place having the best fish in Ayr. So decided to give it a try as I love fish dishes. Arrived on a busy Saturday lunch time place was buzzing and very smart. Nice table by the door so I could people watch on the busy street, ordered a nice glass of white wine from a really different wine list and was pointed to the special board which had no less than 7 fish dishes went for the scallops with the roasted pepper puree and samphire with peashoots cooked nice and golden and really meaty melt on the mouth stuff, delicious. My main course a mixed seafood grill with salmon, sea bream, monkfish and halibut with a garlic, lemon sauce crusted rosemary potatoes and a nice selection of crisp sauteed veg with another glass of white wine didn't have room for a full sweet so I opted for an affogato with a nice Harris gin served properly with pink grapefruit wedge and liquid seaweed kelp. When paying my bill I asked where they got their fish from and was told a local firm J.Peroni&Son five minutes from the premises no wonder it was so fresh. I will definitely be back with my friends from the south side of Glasgow but not next week as I was told they are closing for kitchen renovations.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Decided to pop in for some breakfast , as place looks inviting. I ordered French toast and white coffee . My husband ordered breakfast with inclusive tea & toast.
Sadly my French toast was soggy and left a trail of runny egg on the plate, I ate around the middle parts but I didn't enjoy it. My coffee wasn't as warm as I would have liked it either. My husband said his food and tea were ok, nothing special!
Maybe we just went on the wrong day as it seems to be a popular place.
When we went to pay the bill with a card the girl said" The machine is asking if you want to leave a tip"? Thought this was a bit cheeky! Never had this approach to a gratuity before & it left me feeling uncomfortable, as I usually leave a small tip (in cash) anyhow. Staff were friendly enough though!

Ewan M, Owner at Macfarlane, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

Hi Lilly, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us. If you had told us we could & would have cooked the french toast more for you, it is a very subjective dish with some customers liking it extra fried and some not. I prepared the french toast myself and would have been happy to do you another batch had you brought it to our attention. The same can be said with the coffee. It would have been no hassle for us to remedy these issues but it requires communicate from yourself so that we can meet your needs. The gratuity function on our card terminal is indeed presumptuous and I feel that it is not appropriate, on that we can agree and it is something I will amend momentarily. My apologies that you felt uncomfortable. Going forward, being so bold, could I request you tell our staff if something is not right? Review sites are a useful tool and merit honest opinions, however, would we be wrong to think.. by letting a small/independent business know something is not right, allowing them time to fix it... be fairer? In any case thank you for the feedback, perhaps next time we can make your experience meet your expectations.

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

I find it difficult to enjoy a cooked breakfast in and around the eatery’s in Ayr. Popped into MacFarlane and just fancied the “Half Mac,” everything on my plate was delicious- from the toast to the perfectly cooked eggs!

My boyfriend had the “Full Mac” and requested a larger portion of beans which was accommodated with no issues at all.

Staff very friendly and attentive with a great atmosphere.

10/10, would recommend.

Ewan M, Owner at Macfarlane, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you very much Sarah, we make all our breakfast dishes from scratch and take pride in the presentation and consistency of our products. We also like an egg cooked just right so we appreciate your mentioning this on the review. Once again, thank you for taking your time to leave us this review and we hope to serve you breakfast or any meal again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Recently held my wife's 40th birthday at McFarlane and took a party of 16 along for the meal. The owner and staff couldn't have been more attentive before and during our visit which made for a fabulous evening all round. 16 of us unanimously agreed that both the food and service was fabulous.

The effort Ewan and his team put in the run up to the evening to plan our menu and get the night just right was above and beyond expectation. With so many restaurants in Ayrshire being operated by larger brands, it was lovely to be reminded of the care and personal touch possible from a small, privately run establishment.

Ewan M, Owner at Macfarlane, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Jamie, it was our absolute pleasure to hold your wife's 40th birthday party. The night was also enjoyed by the staff as you were all a pleasure to serve and made for a great atmosphere within the restaurant. Your choice of our fish dishes provided by Pieroni's of Ayr were exciting for us to create and the feedback on the night from the whole table was humbling. Thank you for booking with us and we hope to see you all either together or individually again soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Went in on a chance as hadn't booked. Could have been more helpfull and the service was good ant yhe food was excellent. Best restaurant in Ayr by far. Not the overprisef

Ewan M, Owner at Macfarlane, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you Paul. We are pleased your spur of the moment dining experience was met with an open table and happy service. We hope to see you again soon.