“Lovely midweek lunch”

Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: French, Irish
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Centre
Description: Originated in the English Market in Cork ('The Food Capital of Ireland'), On The Pig's Back's stall is now the centre of attraction for its fabulous selection of Farmhouse Cheeses and Charcuterie Products, and is also particularly renowned for its Award Winning range of Homemade Pates & Terrines, as well as its French Gourmet Food. In 2009, On The Pig's Back expanded it's business to Douglas which is equipped with a Cafe, an Artisan Food-Store, and a production ktchen for our homemade pates & terrines.
Reviewed 19 December 2017

Stopped by early Tuesday afternoon and opted for a tart and salads (Cavolo Nero, Pine Nut & Morbier Cheese tart). I wasn't sure what the cheese was like but I like trying new things. It is a very subtle semi-soft cows' milk cheese, slightly stringy but tasty. Tart came with salads and leaves. Everything was very good and quite sufficient. I look forward to returning.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Had brunch here one Sunday recently. I ordered Risotto with smoked chicken and my partner ordered smoked haddock fish cake with poached eggs and hollandaise. When they arrived, they brought the fish cake and the Spanish Chicken so not the risotto. I took the Spanish Chicken anyway, it was wrapped in pancetta with melting cheese, wilted spinach and sauteed potato. I was half thinking of getting it anyway. They were both tasty dishes but we found they were expensive at €12.95 each.

I would have liked more potato on the side, there was very little. Having said that, I have had lunch here with my mum on a weekday and it was very good and filling. It is always tasty food, the servers are very friendly, good atmosphere and they have a lovely deli. I will come back because it is always nice. On a Sunday, I will probably stick to Eggs Benedict but I'd like to go back for a weekday lunch.

onthepigsback, Public Relations Manager at On The Pigs Back, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Hello.
Thank you for your review of our new Sunday Brunch option.
I am sorry to hear there was a mix up with your order. I can assure you this does not occur often. I am glad that you enjoy our week day options as well as Sunday Brunch. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

Lovely foe adults, would not really recommend for children. Can be a little cold so wear something warm.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Hi Deirdre,
Thank you for your review of On The Pigs Back Cafe & Deli in Douglas. We hope to see you again shortly.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Cute decor, great food selection of French food as well as healthy cuisine. Friendly and professional service. Great coffee also and fab desserts. Nice food shop located there also. Good for kids as well.

onthepigsback, Public Relations Manager at On The Pigs Back, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you for your review!
Happy to hear that you like visiting us in Douglas, for all that our premise offers. Looking forward to seeing you again soon :)

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Good food and a lovely venue but as is now typical in Ireland a bit overpriced for what we had. Also the waiter made a fiasco of splitting the bill.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
onthepigsback, Public Relations Manager at On The Pigs Back, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Hi Aoife,
Thank you for your review. Our prices are reflective of sourcing good quality ingredients. In relation to splitting the bill, I would like to extend my apologies. There should never be a problem dividing bills, so I am very sorry that you encountered this ordeal :(