“Thank you”

Ranked #9 of 725 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Irish, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Good value Food, drinks and IRISH MUSIC is what makes the South County Bar & café, Douglas a must when visiting Cork. Douglas village is a short taxi ride(3 miles) from Cork city and the South County is within walking distance of local hotels The Maryborogh House & Rochestown Park Hotel(both 10 mins walk). This award winning Irish pub has an old world feel, has a cosy snug and a wonderful outdoor area, 'The Guinness beer Garden'. IRISH MUSIC sessions throughout the year...Every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights aswell as a fun sing-along ballad session every Sunday at 6pm. This pub also boasts a large selection of Irish whiskies in the Whiskey corner and serves the tastiest Irish coffee around !!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The staff are above and beyond ,was in for a meal with a wheelchair user and they went out of their way to accommodate the needs of the young persons diet ,I cannot recommend this restaurant enough ,fab mocktails ,food and fab service
Stars ⭐️ all the way

Date of visit: August 2021
Tom 0, Owner at South County Bar and Cafe - Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi 22Marion, Thanks so much. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the South County. It has been a challenge since we got back in action in early June but as you mentioned our staff have been great. See you back again soon, Tom

Write a reviewReviews (424)

Reviewed 8 August 2021

I was excited to have booked into this pub for a meal with my girlfriend - having spent an hour trying various other venues which were unfortunately booked out. However, I knew I would find something given that it was ten days in advance of the booking time and so South County delivered, or so it seemed.
I rang the pub and the member of staff assured me that they provide for both indoor and outdoor dining and that a table for two would be available on the Saturday night (in ten days time) and said that they had us booked in for that date at 8pm.
Fast forward to that date at 7pm. Before booking a taxi from our hotel, I decided to ring the pub again just to make sure we were booked in as I had not received any confirmation by email or text. Surely, though, only a freakish nightmare of administrative incompetence could have prevented us from enjoying a meal booked TEN days in advance?
Well, that was the case as the staff member on the phone (a different one this time) said they had no booking under my name. That seemed odd. I asked could they double-check. He did and reaffirmed that there was no booking. He then very rudely blamed me for the mishap, suggesting it was my error and that they could not have me due to the Cork match being on at that time (they won too, unfortunately) and thus the venue was full. He also insisted that they do not take bookings over the phone. This was untrue as I had done exactly that.
I told him this was disappointing but he refused to apologise or offer us another booking or any form of compensation for almost ruining a nice evening - we were very lucky to get a last minute booking in our hotel at 9pm.
Anyway, I would recommend not visiting this pub at least during Covid times where bookings are important. Perhaps it turned out for the best. If they can't manage a booking, how would they have served me a pint?
P.S. I have selected the 'Not Sure' option for every question below as I am genuinely unsure of what this pub offers. They would not serve us, after all.
Kerry abú.

Date of visit: July 2021
Tom 0, Owner at South County Bar and Cafe - Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Exaggeration.........thy name is Ian Foot. Firstly, we have a Reservation system which can be easily accessed through our website. I fear you have described your experience a little worse than it really was. I spoke to you on the night and we were frankly booked out so I couldn't offer you a table. Believe me, we are really glad to be back serving our customers so if I was able to help with a table I would have made every effort to do so. Our capacity is greatly reduced as we are keeping tables at a safe distance from each other. We send pre-bookings a confirmation email so I really can't find out what happened to the booking you made 10 days earlier ? You should have been directed to our Reservation system. I imagine your details were treated as an enquiry and not an actual booking ? I didn't 'blame you for the mishap'. I merely suggested that you should have looked for confirmation earlier that 7.15pm for an 8pm booking ? Can I also reassure you that although you have some anti-Cork sentiment in your lengthy complaint, this was not an anti-Kerry action on our part. We welcome all GAA supporters to the South County! You gave us a very poor rating which does affect our business negatively even though we didn't intentionally loose your booking and you say you are unsure what this pub offers ? For you to advise people not to visit our pub during Covid times on a public forum is really unfair to me and our hardworking team team considering that you have never been here !?
We strive to offer quality food & drinks in a friendly welcoming atmosphere. So sorry that we were unable to welcome you and your friends on this occasion. We hope you try the South County again in the near future.
* Cork for the hurling ! ;) Tom O'Connor

Reviewed 1 August 2021

Decided to visit the south county for some food and the Lions game last minute and the staff were more than accommodating, Steven found us a lovely table and even moved some things around so we could stay for the cork game that followed. The food was outstanding especially the wings and the service was fast and friendly. I never seem to be disappointed when I visit. Keep up the good work Tom and team.

Date of visit: July 2021

Thanks- delighted that you were looked after and you enjoyed the food and service. see you soon, tom

Reviewed 1 August 2021

Always a great time at the South County. This occasion being one of my first times out since covid restrictions were eased. Tom and staff always do their best to look after us. Great spot to watch the matches, have a few pints and a bite to eat. Looking forward to more days like this in the future!

Date of visit: July 2021

All of our TVs are back with surround sound and we even have a big screen in our new beer garden. We'l be ready for the Ryder Cup ! Thanks for your comments.
Tom

Reviewed 1 August 2021

A couple of friends and I went to the south county tonight and were provided with great service (as always) by the staff in south county! We enjoyed great food (the nachos were ) and a few drinks in the sunny outdoor area whilst enjoy the Saturday evening matches! Tom, Steve and Saoirse were all so welcoming and friendly! Great night out!