“Cracking T bone with a twist”

Elbow Lane Brew and Smokehouse
Ranked #3 of 705 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, Grill, Brew Pub
Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

Great T bone steak and chips. But no ordinary meal, use of herbs and spices made the great quality neat come alive!
Nice atmosphere but book.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Service was fantastic. Staff were very friendly
Steak cooked to perfection.
In-house Elbow larger was great.
Atmosphere was great. very cosy.

2  Thank NichCia
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Myself and my GF went to Elbow Lane in Jan 2017, The place is small (seats approx 24 people only). There was plenty of staff buzzing around the place and the turn over of tables seemed relaxed. So why was our service so bad? We were sat right in the middle of the floor, front and centre, at one point I had to put my hand in the air like a child asking their parent for some attention just so I could get a glass of wine of my GF that has been ordered 10 mins previously.

We had three different waitstaff attend the table over the course of our meal and there was no consistency with the service although all were polite and friendly.
The food was; in a word 'underwhelming', In two words 'extremely underwhelming'.
I'm a carnivore and was excited about attending a smokehouse in Cork, something that is becoming less and less a rare sight in the fast growing second City. Penny (my GF) is a vegetarian but was polite enough to endure the smell of sizzling beef with me on our night out.. what a gal!

I ordered the half rack of ribs to start and the Rib Eye Steak for mains. I was particularly hungry so i asked the first of our three servers if I would be foolish to order both the rack and the steak as it might be too much food for me. She hummed and hawed and sweated and bite her lip like trying to answer a question on Mastermind and eventual came to the conclusion.. guess.. that it's a lot but it should be fine. I was not filled with confidence but didn't want to ask any follow up questions in case the girl opts to 'phone a friend' or 'ask the audience'.

When the 'half rack' arrived I was gobsmacked. It... was.... tiny. i nearly asked our server (the second of the night, a tall aloof man child with more fringe then face) what animal was this a half rack from?

The meat was coated in a course dry rub that left an arid taste on my tongue. The homemade brew was fine to wash it off. Only fine. I had the rack consumed in a breath and was left with a pallid looking salad of over cooked sweet potato and spinachy chard leaves on the side of my plate. Also sprinkled with the dry rub. I put my fork down for fear of that dry rub being forever on my tongue.

There was a wait between courses ... and a longer wait. Remember only 24 people sitting in the dark restaurant with us. I counted 5 serving staff and 2 chefs.

Mains finally came and much to my bemusement the steak which in itself was small and mean looking was covered it... yep... the same dry rub as the rack! I bit my tongue (which also tasted of the bloody dry rub) and picked up my fork.

Our third waiter (carbon copy of server two only with unnecessarily tighter jeans) said 'hang on.. i'll get you're salad' .. moments later the produced my old enemy the sweet potato and chard concoction from starters, this time with a light dusting of the dry rub just of good measure..... Eye roll.

4  Thank Neilonoir
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere, fantastic food and friendly staff! The T bone steak was perfectly seasoned and cooked just right...would definitely recommend.

Will be returning for sure!!!

2  Thank symerk
Reviewed 16 February 2017

The staff and service are outstanding here. The brisket role and ribs are extremely tasty as are their selection of craft beers - particularly the Lynch stout! The portions aren't massive however, it's very much quality over quantity which is fine by me!
Enjoy, you won't regret dining here.

2  Thank Clutt