“Wonderful dinner but beware the Saturday night rush”

Perrotts Garden Bistro
Ranked #41 of 705 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$51 - US$68
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2016

We came to stay at the hotel and barely got in to the restaurant at 10:15 pm at the end of the evening on one of the last reservations. The wait was hard but worth it in the end. They did mess up our reservation but fixed it without an issue. We started with seafood chowder and the soup was good and well made if a bit light on seasoning for my taste. Large chunks of seafood made the chowder satisfying. We had the aged fillet and the duck breast, each of which were again very good and perfectly cooked, but again a bit under seasoned. Wine prices were quite reasonable. For dessert, the lemon posset and blackberry cheesecake wee a nice finish. Friendly staff that were helpful without being pushy. A good place for a special meal but it was just a step off of what I would want for five stars.

Ettienne V, Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Dear Brandon K

Thank you for your recent review of Perrotts Garden Bistro. Both our kitchen and waiting team were thrilled to hear your feedback. Our Executive Head Mark Staples prides himself on serving only the finest local ingredients including our Carrigcleena duck breast and our O Connell's organic fillet steak.

Saturday night is our busiest night of the week and we thank you for your patience. We are constantly trying to improve and strive to be the best and we appreciate your feedback to help us achieve this.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Ruth Mc Cartney
Perrotts Garden Bistro

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Often visit Perrotts for dinner, really lovely food, service and atmosphere. Had the quinoa cakes this evening and they were exquisite, the nicest vegetarian main I have ever had. Thank you for lovely hospitality and food!

Ettienne V, Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

Dear Vera O

Thank you for your recent review of Perrotts Garden Bistro. Our Executive Head Chef Mark Staples was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our vegetarian quinoa cakes. He strives to use only the finest local ingredients in our dishes and this most certainly has been worthwhile to hear your wonderful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Perrotts Garden Bistro soon

Kind Regards
Ruth Clarke
Perrotts Garden Bistro Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2016

We did not want to travel to eat one night and glad we didn't. The food & service where both excellent.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Any restaurant in the Hayfield Manor is superb. I would eat there anytime. The food was excellent. Quality was there. Service was also very good.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

I dined here during Sunday Lunch with my family for a birthday recently. Living in Cork, this is essentially our favourite place to go for a family occasion (this, and the other fine-dining restaurant in the Hayfield Manor Hotel). The staff are always very courteous and friendly, and have also never had any problems catering to special dining requirements whenever we have needed it. I have thought in the past that sometimes service can be slow, but I feel this has improved greatly over the last two-years, and I no longer believe this is the case. This of course is also a great compliment to the Bistro. The is next to the front gardens of the hotel is very nice, with big bright windows for natural light, resulting in great ambiance. It's like a big conservatory.

My family always say, importantly, that the food here is never a let down, and so we never leave disappointed. Always delicious, full of flavour, very well presented, and served with an assortment of vegetables and other sides. On this particular visit, I for one started with Mushroom soup, which had a very delicate taste rather than strong, which is often the case with mushroom soup I feel. The rest of the starters were a Beetroot-cured Salmon and Smoked-Salmon Mousse dish, and a Duck Leg Croquette. The salmon started is a favourite in the family, especially as lovers of Beetroot, and the Duck Leg Croquette I'm told was very different and delicious.

For the mains, I had a salmon dish which was served with Champ Mashed Potatoes (my favourite), Baby Fennel, Watercress Puree and Sauce Vierge, which was an excellent combination for fish, delicious and presented very well. The rest of my family went between Peppered Roasted Sirloin of Beef (another favourite), Seared Cod (which was cooked to perfection, Cod can be tricky to get right we feel). See attached pictures for more info on how they were served. As mentioned, other vegetables were also served on the side at the table.

The dessert dishes chosen were a Baked Raspberry Cheesecake with Honeycomb and Ice-cream, and an Irish Coffee Creme Brulee with Chocolate Shortbread. Those with the sweet tooth in the family polished these off, and that should be enough about that. See attached pictures.

There really are no downsides to speak of here. A very big dining party came in close to the end of our meal which was very noisy. A big table had been setup for them; there must have been around 15-20 diners. We were getting ready to leave so it didn't bother us, but we felt a party like that should have been placed in a private dining room.

Between the delicious and well-presented and garnished food, the atmosphere in Perrotts next to the Garden, and the friendly waiting staff, I have no hesitation recommending dining here, as among the most excellent of dining options in Cork!

Ettienne V, Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2016

Dear Mjjos

Thank you very much for your recent review on Perrotts Garden Bistro. Thank you for your praise of our service and food. I am certain that our Head Chef Mark and his team will be utterly thrilled to know just how thoroughly you enjoyed your cuisine.

The team in Perrotts will be delight to hear you possitve feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.