“Great Location needs”

Ranked #75 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Location needs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is ideally located and the food was excellent; my room was clean and comfortable; however the staff member on duty at the restaurant reception desk had a very poor attitude and was chewing gum at breakfast.

With no concierge staff all simple needs were directed to Reception where staff were short on the ground at peak times and this proved to be a weakness in the system. Other guest's became as frustrated as I was waiting to ask a simple question. I used the car park (Ten Euros per night) however signage was so poor I couldn't find my way back to my car.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is a cheap and cheerful place to stay. Rooms are clean and very adequate , for international travellers think Novotel , Travelodge!
However the location is the best out of city centre but close to. Across road from 4 Seasons.
If any of my friends want a sub100$ location in great location this is it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Motorsportenthuisias
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Ballsbridge is an affluent area of Dublin with many Embassy's nearby - there is one right next door - and few 'value' hotels for visitors to the RDS (2 mins away) or the Aviva stadium (10 mins walk). Bewleys neatly fills that gap.

On arrival the hotel looks very impressive - a big, old-looking, brick building sitting almost castle-like set back off the road in it's own grounds with pleasing gardens out front. Unfortunately the interior does not reflect the promise that the outside creates.

I was alone and chose the hotel because I had to get a visa from the Chinese Embassy which is 2 mins along the road. In fairness the hotel did everything I needed it to do. It was reasonably-priced (around €100), clean and with efficient staff.

The room was big and had a double bed and a single so if there were 3 of you or a family it could be excellent value.

From what I seen in my short stay it was a rather uninspiring but perfectly fine value hotel convenient to some local venues and not far from Grafton Street / St Stephen's Green areas.

I pretty much see the hotel as a average but does what it says on the tin. I'm marking it as 'Average' but only because it is not as well-appointed as many of the hotels I say in.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Arthur G
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for three nights last week. We travelled as a family and booked a family room on a B & B Basis.

We arrived early and were told we could leave our luggage by reception but the room wasn't ready - not sure how she knew this as she didn't even check! The public area of the hotel was lovely, with comfortable seating areas across the bottom floor. When we did check in later we found the room to be tired with an underlying smell of cigarettes - despite it being a no smoking room. The room was large and clean though and the bathroom was in good order. The building from the outside is stunning with well kept gardens.

Breakfast was pretty good other than some of the food was a bit dried up from sitting for a while, although the hot selection was kept well stocked and freshly cooked. We particularly liked the choice of hot drinks from a machine offering latte, cappucino etc as well as normal tea and coffee.

We ate in the hotel on one evening - we chose to sit in the bar which turned out to be a mistake - the bar was quite busy with only two staff waiting on and two behind the bar. We had to wait for everything we asked for simply because the two waiting on staff couldn't keep up - although not through lack of trying - they were running around all night and were apologetic about the lack of service. The food was average when it did arrive - nothing to shout about at all really. ** A word of warning to those using the childrens menu - the chocolate sponge has nuts on it which is not mentioned on the menu**

This hotel is quite a way out of the town but there is a DART station just 5mins walk away which gets you into town for 3 Euros per person return in no time at all - a great service. Also the Airport Coach drops and picks up right outside which is handy.

We asked for a late check out and got told it was 10 Euros per hour past 12 which seemed a bit steep especially when she didn't even check to see whether the room was due to be occupied that evening.

We would use this hotel again if the price was right - but wouldn't pay normal rates. I would avoid using the bar or restaurant as service and quality are not good enough to reflect the charges. There are a number of nice restaurants within walking distance - or a quick DART jounery into town gives much better options.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thefoureggs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just checked out of Bewelys today (20th Feb) with family, we booked three double rooms and I have to say the hotel was fantastic with a lovely atmosphere. However being a frequent visitor to Dublin I don't think I could return to the hotel again simply because of one memember of staff. Whilst checking in I was totally insulted and embarrassed by an Australian guy working reception called Phil. I booked threw a website with a cost of £126.00 per room for two nights but on arrival I was informed I could not pay with sterling so a commission on exchange was added costing us a total of £146.00. This didn't bother me so much but when I asked for a breakdown of cost I was told 'it is what it is...take it or leave it' I remained polite as a few people were behind me in the que and I did not want to cause a scene, again I asked for some information on exchange rates which was received with Phil rolling his eyes and sigh. I felt so humiliated and frustrated I just paid the extra and went to my room. The room was excellent and bar staff were fantastic remembering your orders from previous visits. Although I love Beweleys and visit their hotels throughout the UK frequently. I'm afraid this one experience has killed the Brand for me. As I stay in bailsbridge at least twice a month as relatives live in the area of D4 Im afraid I will have to push out the extra money and stay at the Four seasons or the Herbert Park hotel in future. Maybe as memory fades and staff change I will return again to this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed February 2012