New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Home from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Ariel House is a pair of Georgian houses in beautiful leafy Dublin 4. This is a “real Dublin” place to stay. Friendly, furnished with antique furniture, comfortable and unique. I had a room upstairs for my last stay, with a beautiful view of Dublin at night. There’s a big front room to sit in and have a glass of wine in the evening. Relaxing, well-run and comfortable, with really nice staff and a very pleasant breakfast in the morning. The Dart (train) station is just opposite or, if you like walking, it's a really nice walk into the city centre. I always look forward to staying here, a home from home, and one that I would definitely recommend.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary2020
ArielHouse, General Manager at Ariel House, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear Mary2020
Thank you for taking the time to submitt a Trip Advisor review of Ariel House. We are really pleased that you enjoy staying with us and find the accommodation to be a home from home. Its always a pleasure to welcome you back and we look forward to seeing you again soon
Best Wishes
Deirdre McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Roscommon, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have to say that I am really confused by the reviews for Ariel House - they are at absolute odds with my own recent experience of staying there. I stayed for two nights last weekend. My room was a twin bedded dark and dreary room in the basement of the adjoining building. On arrival, in the rain, and having stuggled up the steps with my cases, the girl behind reception stayed at her post and didn't help me with the door or my bags. When I reached my room, I was quite suprised to find that there was no face cloth or shower cap. I was going out that evening, and when I was leaving I asked if it would be possible to have a face cloth. The same girl at reception told me that she would check if 'we have any'!

I was quite suprised to find on both nights that when I returned to the hotel, after dark, an emergency exit door opposite my room was wide open on both occassions, with the wind and rain blowing in. But the worst was yet to come....

On Monday morning I awoke to find that there was no hot water in my bathroom. I rang reception and was told that it had broken down overnight in the area of the hotel that I was in. The receptionist told me that I would be very welcome to come up to reception and have a shower that was adjacent to reception. However, now running late for an important meeting - this didn't appeal. I was genuinely shocked that after a mediocre breakfast, upon checkout, there was no apology nor reduction in price for the fact that I was unable to shower in my room.

Overall, this was an extremely disappointing experience, and although I had gotten a special rate of €75 per night B and B, it is a pity. I am attending a course in Dublin on weekends for the next 3 years - I had hoped that Areil House would turn out to be my Dublin base. But it certainly won't be.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank LACAMPBELL
ArielHouse, General Manager at Ariel House, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear LACAMPBELL
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at Ariel House. It is with great regret that I read your feedback and comments regarding your stay with us. I am in the process of looking into some of the issues raised in your review and would like to assure you that what you have experienced is not a true reflection of how we operate our business.
Regarding the unfortunate issue of our boiler malfunction, I did speak with you directly on the morning in question and offered an alternative room where you could have a hot shower. I understand that you declined due to time constraints at which stage I apologised sincerely for the inconvenience. I do note however that no adjustment was made to your account on departure for this inconvenience which was an oversight on our behalf.
I apologise that your experience of Ariel House did not live up to your expectations. I would value the opportunity to make amends and display the true hospitality that my team and I have to offer. To this end I would be grateful if you can contact me on 01-6685512 or by email at reservations@ariel-house.net
Yours Sincerely
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I joined TripAdvisor to leave this positive review of an unusually outstanding B&B. It feels like I spent weeks looking for the right spot in Dublin during our combined business/pleasure trip. It seemed like hotels were either central to downtown but super noisy at night, central-ish but really expensive, or far out of town but quiet and affordable. I finally read about Ariel House and the service and "best of" awards they've won. Their location was perfect for us because it's far enough out that it was indeed quiet and laid-back, but a quarter block away from the DART that takes you right into downtown in two quick stops (like 10 minutes total).

In every way, Ariel House exceeded our expectations: they prepped a room for our early arrival at 10 am, and even though we hadn't paid for breakfast sat us down with tea and treats while they carried up our luggage. We caught a great winter deal that was super affordable, but were put up in a large jr. suite that had a HUGE bed that was the best of our trip. Everything was well appointed, beautiful, but well-loved and comfortable. The staff was consistently and constantly friendly, helpful, and attentive. They helped us hook up with a rental car and there's free parking right at the front door.

We really loved Ireland for many reasons, but Ariel House was a big part of that experience. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when we return!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Terri K
Dear Terri K
Thank you for your lovely review of Ariel House. We are just delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that Ariel House ecxeeded your expectations. Your positive comments, particularly regarding the staff will be passed on to the team.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again someday
Kind Regards
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed in the lead up to Christmas in the Ariel and will rave about our stay. From check in to our departure we couldn't fault the staff nor the welcome. We arrived late and were able to sit in the comfy lounge with the tv remote enjoying a pizza delivery. We felt like lord and lady of the manor.,especially when we found the complimentary freshly baked treats and brewed coffee. Our room he a little dated, was spacious and warm. The bed was comfortable but i have to admit i would have preferred a duvet.
We were very impressed with the breakfast, the produce was top quality.
Transport to and from town couldn't be easier with the dart so location is ideal.
Just to evidence my very positive comments about the staff- i dropped a favourite lipstick and it was posted to me straight away. I think that says it all where housekeeping integrity and thoroughness goes.
Enjoy- we did

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank reefsharkDublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for three nights - the room we had was large with a very big window facing out onto the back of the hotel. The lighting in the room was poor - no main light - only bedside lights - I had to ask for an additional lamp to be brougt to the room as I found it too dark. The bathroom was not in the best of conditions paintwork and plasterwork was not perfect. The beds were most comfortable. The breakfast was good - yogurt was warm though - staff were lovely. A cosy hotel, warm and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011