“Swift, tasty and affordable”

M&L Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #525 of 2,886 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

I have been to M&L a few times over the years, and this time came back after an absence of four years. The menu is fairly predictable (black bean sauce, kung po, black pepper sauce etc), but the flavours are excellent and the food comes out quickly. The staff are efficient and the prices are reasonable. You can’t ask for much more in an informal Chinese restaurant. Recommended.

Reviewed 18 May 2018

I've written an excellent review of this restaurant before but after our recent visit we are unlikely to ever return. What a sad decline in standards and particularly service. We waited approximately 10 minutes for anyone to take a drinks order then another 20 minutes to receive it. Having ordered a starter and mains one of the main courses arrived before the starter. The quarter of duck eventually arrived and the main was taken away only to return later where it had obviously sat on the side and congealed for 15 minutes along with the other main which was freezing. Seabass is unlikely to retain any heat if left sitting for any period of time but they obviously couldn't be bothered to cook a fresh one or make any attempt to reheat. The servers were chaotic and the place - particularly the toilets looked dirty and dusty. This used to be an excellent Chinese so it is a shame it is now such a disaster.

1  Thank NorthernIrelandRosie
Reviewed 7 May 2018

I did a google search for Xiao Long Pao (steamed pork dumplings) and this restaurant came up. I phoned two times before booking and they verified that they sold this dish. I even asked if they provide the shredded ginger and vinegar to accompany it and was told that they did. Twice...

When I arrived I immediately ordered four portions (28 pieces) I asked for the shredded ginger vinegar and soy sauce and chopsticks. What was delivered was not Xiao Long Pao. It was a Char Siu Pao without the charsui sauce inside. Xiao Long Pao is a very specific dish. There are many very successful chains that survive on this as a mainstay signature. This was not Xiao Long Pao and any Chinese person will tell you this. I was disappointed and so were my guests.

When I made the phone inquiry I asked for this dish by its Chinese name, pronounce correctly ( I lived in Asia for 20 years, ordered and have eaten this dish in six Asian countries) and was clearly told that it was available.

This is a typical example of a restaurant assuming that their local customers are not discerning / ignorant and will accept any old thing that is put in front of them.

When I brought it to their attention they apologized, told me I was wrong (they are 'Xiao Long Pao')... then offered to remove the items.

The dumplings that were delivered were nice enough
I ordered Ma Po Tofu - arrived with no minced pork - tasted nice though
Yong Chow fried rice - tasted okay
Mixed veg - okay

Service was very poor. Had to ask three times for e v e r y item. No apology or thanks at payment time

The dishes that we had were nice enough but not authentic and not great.

The distance and extra effort required between what we had and an absolutely excellent dining experience was actually not much. A bit more effort and attention to detail / care, and it would have been terrific,

Reviewed 5 May 2018

From the outside it doesn't look like the most appealing place, however, the food is a different story altogether!
Dishes we love include, pork and prawn, green beans, aubergine, chili chicken. Dumplings to start.The food is really good, the staff are pleasant.
Just don't forget CASH! they don't take cards!

1  Thank daydreamer1982
Reviewed 4 May 2018

It was closed on our first visit but we tried again two nights later. We didn’t have reservations but got in luckily. The place was packed with Asian people which says much about the quality of the food. We always use hot & sour soup as a measure of a restaurant - this passed with flying colours.
Staff was very good. We didn’t realize it was cash only so I needed to step out to the cash machine (ATM).