“Great food & cocktails”

Oscars Cafe Bar
Ranked #347 of 2,820 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Oscars Smithfield is a Cafe Bar and the latest addition to the now bustling Smithfield Square in Dublin 7. The independently Irish owned Oscars burst onto the Dublin pub scene in May 2013 and has already established itself as a true Cafe Bar that has become the heartbeat of Smithfield Square. Whether it's an intimate date, a pre cinema meal or an after work Office party Oscars Smithfield should be your first port of call if you are in the historic Smithfield Area.
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

While on a recent trip to dublin we found this place as it was close to our accommodation.
We tried most places around the area and this is one of 2 places we went back to.
The food was fantastic and the cocktails went down a treat, with very reasonably priced 6 people fed & heavily watered for only €195 between us. Service was good and our server was very friendly and had good knowledge of there drinks selection.
Will definitely revisit when in Dublin again.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We've been to Oscars plenty of times as we live around the corner. We've always liked the food and I even wrote a good review some time back but with a note that the service could be better. This time the service was non-existent. We visited on a busy Friday evening (Paddy's weekend) and luckily got a table for two. We sat there browsing menus for a few minutes and set them on the table trying to make eye contact with staff who were in abundance and passing at our table all the time. We were completely ignored for what felt like forever. In any restaurant, once you sit down somebody will at least come and get drinks order. Didn't happen. Nobody even noticed when we left disappointed :( Sorry Oscars, I know you can do better.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

The food was delicious, staff friendly. Had a little bit of a wait for the food, but it was so good, so it was worth it !

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Oscars Cafe Bar Smithfield is adjacent to the cinema in Smithfield. The decor is very interesting and eclectic; I guess its set up to look a little bit like the nearby law library. The menu is served inside an LP cover and the bill presented inside a cassette cover - I liked this originality. And its certainly got a great buzz; the place was packed!

The menu offered the usual gastro type food. We had the salmon and the philly steak which were good. I was going to order the cod but as that came with mashed potatoes, I choose the salmon as it came with roast potatoes and mentioned this to the waitress. The salmon arrived with mashed potatoes. No reason given.

We had 2 different waitresses it seems and then someone else presented the bill. It was hard to know who to tip!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Oscar's Cafe Bar is an attractive looking Cafe Bar adjacent to a fine modern cinema called The Lighthouse Cinema. My partner wanted to try it and we had off from work last Friday so we arrived early before a film @ 5pm on a recent Friday night. On entering there is a clearly marked sign which askes the guest to wait for a Staff member. We looked around and saw a lady standing to our left about 5 feet away at the bar. She was I am guessing the floor manager and she eventually looked up at us and said something. I have a hearing aid and gestured nicely if she could approach us. She leaned forward without moving and spoke again. I looked at my partner and he asked her above the background music for a table. She then approached us and asked for dinner or drinks. Regretfully no smile or word of welcome was conveyed. My partner said dinner and she told us to choose any free table adjacent immediately to the right of the front door - against the window and said someone would be with us shortly. The Cafe Bar was not full. Shortly after the same person approached us with menus and took an order for drinks, then dinner. I had the potato Gnocchi which was very good, lots of little Gnocchi in a rich tomato-garlic flavoured sauce, served generously in an attractive turine. Unfortunately the little slices of bread which accompanied it were slightly burned. My partner had the Fish & Chips. Frankly, the portion of fish he had compared with the portion of Gnocchi I had was small. The fish was one slim fried piece of fillet, not very long. He was honestly disappointed. He had an ale and I had a glass of Chardonnay. The male and female waiting staff who came to us afterwards were very polite and considerate.

I am sure Oscars is doing well - it's in a very attractive location. However service with a smile can make all the difference. If I was a tourist, I would have felt uncomfortable.