“Disgusted and disappointed ”

The Old Orchard Inn
Ranked #865 of 2,757 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$5 - US$28
Cuisines: European, Irish, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: One of the best known Gastropubs on the South of Dublin City. Our Friendly Staff pride Superior Service with a Smile and Award Winning Chefs provide the freshest Irish pub grub 7 days a week. Boasting a large heated Beer Garden/BBQ area & serving a wide range of World Wines, Creative Cocktails, Irish Craft Beers and a Perfect Pint of Stout. A Buzzing Irish pub that you will love as much as we do!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Food is average at best and pricey, was eating with a group of 3 other friends I ordered a drink at the bar on two occasions and was asked for ID both times and as well as being asked twice at the table I was eating at. After eating my meal and buying two drinks at the bar a member of staff approached our table asking age and said we shouldn’t have been in the bar considering it was supposedly 21’s and at times he claimed 25’s wouldn’t mind if I was told on arrival but 3 other members of staff had seen my ID proving I was 19 And said it was no problem and served me drink don’t understand the needless lies especially considering our group of 4 spent nearly €100 in the place utterly disappointed to be honest staff is just poor in every way

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Really enjoyed the food here. I had the fish and my partner steak and both meals were lovely.
The size of the seating outside area is great but it should be warmer and maybe they need to put the heaters on earlier

Reviewed 7 March 2018

Myself and friends chose to meet here for food and drinks last Sunday evening. On arrival, despite the fact that it was very busy, attentive staff found us a table within a few minutes. We ordered a drink at the bar and looked at the Sunday menu which was unremarkable. After a considerable wait, a waitress came to take our order. I had seen fish and chips go to a table and it looked good so ordered that.
Two more arrived a short time later to join our party. They managed to grab a waitress' attention and ordered two portions of wings and one serve of chips. We moved to a neighbouring table which was bigger. The wings and chips arrived for the latecomers from our party but, over an hour after ordering, the rest of us still had no food. Having amply allowed for the fact that it was overly busy, I went to see what the hold up was. I saw two steaks on the pass and figured it must be our order so returned to the table. 5 mins later we still had no food, getting frustrated at this point I was about to get up again when the waitress finally arrived.
It was NOT worth the wait.
The fish was over cooked, dry with rock hard batter. The peas were cold. The chips however were delicious and was the only edible part of the meal. No one came near the table to check how our food was. One of the other members of our party ordered €4 "vegetables of the day" with her steak and was finished her meal by the time the orange mash arrived.
Rather than raise my complaint with staff at the table in front of everyone, I approached the waitress as she was taking our plates back to the kitchen. I explained that the meal was awful, overcooked and dry and I could not eat it. She was lovely and said she would pass on my comments. I was kindly offered a dessert on the house which I gave to a member of our party. The final straw was when the bill arrived and I was charged €14.50!!! By far the most expensive chips I have ever eaten!

1  Thank CurlySue_11
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Very surprised at this place, the bar staff seemed baffled when you order a drink. As if to say ‘’what you want to order a drink at the bar’’ how dare you . The music was actually pretty good but waiting half an hour to get served and then When you get served not so even much as a smile diminishes it, the waitress try to short change myself and my friend. Once we confronted the staff she apologised and gave back the money. Then lastly I bought 2 drinks a vodka and gin, I saw the measure of vodka with ice and said to the barman sorry maybe the pump broke but I don’t think that a correct measure after already been charged and then he replied ‘’oh I completely forgot my apologies’’ but wouldn’t have noticed had I had put the mixer in the drink. Happy staff makes happy customers, I would highly rethink staffing choices and maybe suggest they do a customer service briefing to improve there standard.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Haven't been here in years but wanted a change for lunch and the menu online looked good. Went on Friday last and it was busy. Took a while to get waitress's attention to get get menu and I'd say we were a good half hour waiting on our food which arrived at 1.45pm (not good when you're back in work for 2pm). I went for slow cooked brisket (cooked for 12 hrs) sandwich, which was very nice, and a salad and my friend had seared tuna steak sandwich with salad. While it was very tasty, the tuna was cold, as in out of the fridge, not the pan. How it took so long to deliver the order is a mystery. May leave it another couple of years before I venture back.

Chawke G, Manager at The Old Orchard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Hi Elaine

In response to your review I would like to apologise in regards to your waiting time as we do strive to give the best quality in cooking to order . As it was lunch time we do try speed up the process as best we can as kitchen can get very busy and can cause a back log so for this again I apologise.
As regards to the Open Tuna Nicoise sandwich we do not state pan seared tuna it is in fact Home cured on the menu which is served cold .
Would hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards