“Exquisite dinner”

Cuisines: European, French, Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 April 2018

This restaurant is wonderful in my experience.. Such a delicious dinner for a special occasion. The chocolate mousse dessert and petits fours deserve a special mention! The starter of Japanese tapioca with St Tola cheese and Ballyhoura mushrooms was so good as were the two types of artichoke. The man of beef was exceptional. The service was excellent. Overall it was top notch.

1  Thank DublinTraveller_8
Write a ReviewReviews (2,054)

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Basic information
​ : Chapter one is a restaurant situated in Dublin’s city center on Parnell square below the Dublin Writers Museum. Their name is reference to the museum and takes its name as if it were a chapter from a book. The restaurant bestowed with a single michelin star since 2007 is now run by head chef Eric Matthews and co-owner Ross lewis who is known for winning the michelin star for his restaurant. The type of cuisine on display at the illustrious restaurant is european and classical french.

I will be reviewing this restaurant as if I was a real restaurant critic for an important newspaper or blog and will contrast my experience here with a similar one that I had in Le Gavroche in London and other high end restaurants. The most notable difference however is I will be sharing my experience with my classmates. I aim to display a better understanding of a Michelin star restaurant to anyone unfamiliar with this type of establishment and to myself to broaden my knowledge of fine dining and cookery.

The Visit

: Upon arrival at the honoured restaurant, we were embraced warmly by the reception and our waiters. The interior ornamentation of the restaurant echoed the history of the Jameson cellars that were present before the 2007 renovation of the restaurant. The whole atmosphere of the restaurant was open, spacious and warm, which gave me a favourable opinion from the beginning. I imagine if someone had dropped their fork the ding could be heard from the front entrance. The feeling of being there was almost staggering as it felt like there was an unstated sense of an upper class society. The service mirrored this but it was amiable in every sense. The waiters were so in tune with our needs and were very professional in their trade. This was in opposition to my experience at L'Ecrivain in Dublin. The baggot street restaurant from my point of view had a different but more systematic operation than chapter one. For example L’Ecrivain’s serving staff are more engaging towards the customer, whereas chapter one’s philosophy is based around them doing their jobs which gave me a strong feeling of a business type industry that let their food and beverage speak for itself.

Have you ever anticipated a meal? Then maybe you understand the feeling of being disappointed when your food comes out and either the presentation isn’t quite right or there is an imbalance in flavour. Regardless of the situation something didn’t live up to expectation, and that was certainly my situation with the food and beverages at Chapter One.

As we were seated in a back section of the restaurant the displays of elegant artworks on the walls and in between the alcoves of the restaurant brought the room’s prudent atmosphere all together. The Amuse bouche that followed after our orders were taken was almost balmy in flavour. The pasteurized cheese on a biscuit crumb was seething with flavours such as a fresh citric tang and the lush texture gave it a lasting but welcome aftertaste.

Then immediately after the white wine we were served. The white wine engaged our palates perfectly with the after taste of the Amuse bouche and also with my Entree which was a smoked haddock veloute with mussels and leeks. The veloute had a lovely light and silky coating consistency which gave a great texture to the dish. Although there was a distinctly delicious seafood flavour from the haddock and mussels I felt that the leeks were drowned out by the fish flavour. And also in 3 pieces of my haddock there were pin bones which was honestly disappointing to receive from a Michelin star restaurant. I had ordered a similar dish in Le Gavroche and the difference is definitely noticeable as it was very hard to fault Le Gavroche on their seafood broth, where you could easily pinpoint exact flavours unlike Chapter one where ingredients seemed to be lost. I have to say however that the white wine married well with the veloute as the tangy taste from the wine complimented the fish .

The main course of the evening really baffled me. I couldn’t quite get my head around the flavours on the plate. A real obvious factor that was missing from the meal was seasoning. A little seasoning goes a long way but to my surprise there was very very little to no seasoning which really could have improved the dish. The meat itself was cooked to the right temperature but for a dry aged beef it was unnecessarily tough. This seems like a lackadaisy attitude on the part of the chef in terms of quality. The red wine along with the beef could have been a great combination if the beef had been served without the salsa verde. The sharp undertones of chillies and mustard in the salsa really knocked the flavour of the beef and the earthy red wine out of proportion and just left a confusing taste in my mouth. A component of the the dish I really loved was not the rainbow chard nor the potato but it was the mushrooms in jus. On it’s on it was an explosion of earthy well loved mushrooms that sang on palate like a wonderful symphony. In my opinion there is a lot to improve with on this item.

Next was the dessert where I ordered a vanilla cheesecake with blood orange sorbet. I thought to myself this will be a nostalgic favourite for me, but I was wrong. Instead the cheesecake had more of a foamy consistency on a biscuit base. What was really disappointing was the amount of sugar saturated within all the components. It was honestly like a sugar overload in my opinion. Any hint of freshness like a lime component would have saved it with freshness. The Irish coffee I received afterwards really lifted my spirits as it was truly a masterclass of a show I received before consuming the hot creamy coffee. Sensational!

To conclude my experience was overshadowed by previous visits to such restaurants like Le Gavroche and L'Écrivain that set the standard and I was disappointed for some great reasons but I did enjoy the social component of the experience and while the food could be improved it had good qualities which shouldn’t be overlooked and I would recommend this place to first time restaurateurs. But for me if I was to mark the experience out of ten I would give a 6/10 and would be mindful on my next visit.

1  Thank SpencerDill
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I have been here many times and not once had a average meal, always excellent. Great rooms, service and food. The early bird is ridiculously good value for top quality food...if only a decent bar would open up close by for pre and post dinner drinks

1  Thank Hol i
Reviewed 23 March 2018

My friend and I went in mid-March to Chapter One and had an absolutely delicious meal. We did the tasting menu with wine pairing. While expensive, it was an unforgettable experience and we had the best sommelier in Catherine. She made the experience a million times better. We were visiting from Boston and loved it.

1  Thank 511lauren
Reviewed 22 March 2018

It was our special dinner, our wedding anniversary.
We had dinner set: Tasting Menu.

The food was great, the service ... omg ... they were awesome.
We thank you for the wonderful dinner.

1  Thank sketsahati