“Very disappointing, sadly”

F.X. Buckley Steakhouse
Ranked #16 of 99 Restaurants in Dun Laoghaire
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Established in 1993, F.X. Buckley Monkstown is located in the heart of Monkstown Village near the coastal dart line between Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire. Open seven days a week, our neighbourhood steakhouse and bar is famous for our F.X. Buckley steaks, accompanied by the perfect selection of fine wines and drinks.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I visited the Monkstown restaurant with my partner for dinner over the bank holiday. Unfortunately, the service was very slow and our food took 40 minutes after our starters were taken away. We had ordered two steaks and the restaurant was not so busy. While the food was nice, the meal was very overpriced for what it was and for the service received. I will not be returning.

2  Thank ksouthard

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Had been dying to try here for ages. Mixed thoughts honestly. Visited with my husband and daughter on Easter Sunday evening. Had table booked for 7pm. We were seated promptly. Place was buzzing. Ordered the charcuterie board for 2 which considering the price of 22 euro was quite small. Everything was delicious & fresh though. Just a tad small. I had the burger, which they were unable to cook medium. All served well done? It was nice but a small bit overdone and dry for me. My husband & daughter had the steak. We ordered 3 portions of chips. All looked like they had come out of a different kitchen! Some overdone. Some very white. Just a bit strange when all served at the same table. No room for dessert.
Slightly underwhelming but maybe my expectations were too high from what I had heard.

1  Thank Dublin122
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The fillet was descent but we've had nicer for less.

We ordered medium and got chewy medium rare.

Chips and sauce were ok, chips on the dry side and a bit skimp on the sauce.

Deserts and starters were better than mains in my opinion.

We liked the atmosphere and the friendly service although at these kinds of prices you'd expect your waiter to know something about the wines on the menu, instead our waiter pointed to a 48 euro bottle avoiding any mention of the cheaper wines or description of his recommendation.

This is more a 2.5 than a 3 out of 5 but gave a benefit of the doubt 3 because of friendly service and good atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

The only thing that outranks the quality of food here is the service received. Excellent service from polite and attentive staff throughout the evening. Have visited many times and ordered the chateaubriand which is always cooked to perfection, paired with a bottle of delicious red wine from their extensive wine list. Would go for the atmosphere alone in this gorgeous restaurant.

1  Thank MollyCole
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Ordered a steak medium rare and it came out well done, sent it back and the second one came out well done. This place prides itself on being a steak restaurant, yet can’t cook a steak correctly. Restaurant wasn’t busy at the time, about 5 or 6 other tables. Turns out the waiter didn’t hear us correctly when we told him “medium rare” 3 or 4 times during the whole fiasco. Told the matradee and he confirmed the order was put down incorrectly as medium well, so he gave us that part of the order on the house. I’d rather pay for what I ordered than to get what I don’t want for free. Whole meal was disjointed as they took food back leaving other parts at the table, all round terrible experience. I’ll be back as I’m local enough and I actually like this restaurant, but will make it abundantly clear as to what happened before and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

4  Thank Conor K