New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Griffin Lodge

Griffin Lodge
Ranked #33 of 196 Galway B&B and Inns
Lleida, Spain
“Good accomodation option in the heart of Galway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Let me begin by saying that this was a quite lucky find. I wanted to book accomodation somewhere else in Galway city for NYE 2010 but unfortunately my b&b of choice was fully booked. After reading some of the reviews here in Tripadvisor I decided to give it a shot, and I couldn't be happier!
The b&b is a cute house in Father Griffin's Road, with its own car park.

Location: Excellent. Some 5 minutes from the b&b to the Spanish Arch and Quay Street by walking. I repeat, an excellent base for exploring Galway city. If you're coming to Galway by car (I was driving from Limerick), it's quite conveniently located. Be careful though as there can be somewhat of a heavy traffick to enter Galway, especially at rush hour (i.e. early morning or 17 - 18h). The fact that location is excellent is easily explained when you consider that there are 4 bed and breakfasts in the area.

Rooms: I went there with a couple of friends. I was in a single ensuite room, which was sufficient for me but perhaps a bit small if you're staying in the b&b for longer than two days or if you're one of those people who "live" in the b&b room.
My friends were in an ensuite twin room. The only "but" was that it was the room straight under the roof and they're quite tall, but the room was more than ok, spacious and, perhaps, a small toilet. Both rooms (and the whole b&b) were spotless, everything was clean, fresh-smelling.

Food: Excellent full-Irish breakfast. If you didn't want your breakfast cooked, you could opt for fruit, cereals, toast and yogurts.

Ann is lovely, she's unbelievably helpful. This year I'm going back to Galway on the 27th December and, unfortunately, Ann will be closed for Christmas (but open for New Year, like last year). She was kind enough to help me find another b&b that would be opened in the neighbourhood.

Next time I'm in Galway I'll, for sure, book a room at Griffin Lodge.

Room Tip: The twin ensuite in the attic has a VERY low roof over the beds. Be careful if you're tall (espe...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank greatbaboon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I returned to Griffin Lodge after 6 years,this time with my husband. We had a delightful stay. Ann is a tremendous host and so knowledgeable about the area.For me it was like coming home again a very pleasant stay. Ann's breakfast are wonderful...real Irish hospitality! Everything is close by and walking distance,even for two seniors.
We stayed for three nights and would go back,if we ever have the opportunity!

Room Tip: Contact Ann if you have any special needs
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Irelandagain
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Ann, the host, is a wonderfully warm person who made us feel very welcomed in Galway. The rooms were on the smaller side but as clean as a 5-star hotel. Breakfast was served by Ann, herself, every morning and was delicious. We spent 2 nights there and wished we had more time to stay!

We highly recommend this location to anyone planning to visit Galway. The location is also ideal...5-10 min walk from anything you want to see or do.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen K
Sydney AUstrali
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed recently in this 11 room b and b. Anne was a wonderful garrulous host who took us in and greeted us with tea and choccy biscuits. Lovely.
One of the rooms was quite small and had limited space to open bags but the other room was a good size, with the only complaint being at the size of the shower which made for cramped bathing. Breakfast was lovely and the location excellent being off the main roads but very close to town.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tony_mo
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at Griffin Lodge for 2 nights, and were very happy with the choice. The location was perfect - just across the bridge from the main shopping/restaurant street, but a quiet location. Anne was a great hostess, the rooms were clean (although on the smaller side) and the breakfast was very nice.

For the location and price, this place cant be beat. In my ratings I gave the rooms a 3/5 only because they were very small and a bit dark, but we didnt spend much time in them anyway so it worked fine for us (and they were very clean, which matters more to me than decoration).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family