“grim, gloomy, grimy and grotty”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Cavan, Ireland
“grim, gloomy, grimy and grotty”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My experience of this hotel is of entering a dark gloomy hotel from the 1940's and some of the decor and furnishings definitely date back to that time. I walked to my room via grimy, dark and very narrow hallways with no offer of help with my luggage. The halls had the smell of fresh paint which was about the only thing fresh in the place. My room was tiny and grotty with very old fashioned decor. The bathroom was absolutely vile, I actually hated having a shower in it because it was so awful, small, cold, damp and ugly.
I went out with my friends and came back to have a night cap before I went to bed as I do in every hotel I ever stay in. The bar man would not serve me because we did not use a credit card for our room so my friend had to give him her credit card.
Then to add insult to injury I got on the wrong lift and ended up in this sort of hotel utopia. Wide marble floored hallways, crystal chandlers, luxurious house plants and fans to keep guests cool on the short walk to their rooms. It was as if myself and my friends were the paupers assigned to the servants quarters while others had this totally different experience just a short distance from us.
The breakfast was substandard and we had to ask twice for our coffee.
The hotel I experienced bore no resemblance to the one advertised on the hotel website and considering there are so many hotels in Galway city centre and close by, I would see no reason why one would go to this grim, gloomy, grimy and grotty place.

Room Tip: Ask them not to room you in the servants quarters, dont expect much from breakfast and be wary of so...
1 Thank KiwiCharley
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience of the Hotel Meyrick, we do appreciate all our guest feedback and take this in a constructive manner.

It is disappointing to note you think the Hotel is “Grim, Gloomy and Grotty”, we do have to keep in line with the properties listed status, hence why such features are and will remain in place that are at least 160 years old, this is what brings the Hotel Meyrick it charm and character. However we would be most grateful if you could let us know the area you thought was Grim so we can look into this.

We were most disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us, the part of the hotel you mention when you walk into utopia is indeed the original part of the hotel hence its grandeur, we have tried as best possible to keep with the Hotels History whilst still offering what the modern day guests requires. We do advise our guests of the various room types, and to book well in advance for our executive rooms as these are very popular, we would presume that you booked a standard room hence this is what you were allocated, if this did not meet your expectations, then we apologise for this.

Thank you once again for your time and comments, those that can be addressed will be with the relevant personnel to improve on and rectify, the rest will be here for years to come.

Kind Regards
Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Ireland
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed here last weekend as part of a large group. I shared a twin room. The hotel was excellent is a perfect location on Eyre Square. The room was good, only slight complaint was that it was a little too hot but that was easily solved. Food was good as was the bar. Good service and very friendly staff. I would stay here again for sure.

3 Thank timdoody
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick, we do appreciate all our guest feedback.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the experience that the Hotel and Staff offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

Kind Regards
Management Team
castlebar
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at the Meyrick Hotel on the valentines weekend package and have to say it was a wonderful experience. We were greeted by prosecco and chocolate dipped strawberries in our room on arrival and had a most romantic dinner in the restaurant that evening. The food was delicous and so beautifully presented. The staff were very attentive and very well informed as to what was in the dishes as I did question a few things. The highlight for my husband was the fillet steak and for me the chocolate fondant but then I am a chocaholic:-)
The breakfast was pretty average but then hotels like this are slashing their prices so one can't expect freshly squeezed orange juice and breakfast cooked to order but the buffet was o.k.
The first night we stayed we were in a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the bus and train station and it was very noisy at an unearthly hour in the morning so my advice would be pay the extra and get a room overlooking Eyre Square instead and you will not be dissapointed. We stayed in a luxurious suite on our second night and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. Didn't get to try the leisure facilities or spa but I will next time and that will be sooner rather than later:-)

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a suite or a room overlooking Eyre Square.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharpieCastlebar
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after staying on the valentines weekend package. The hotel prides itself on the customer care and attention it affords to its guests and valued customers.

Thank you once again for your time, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

The Management Team,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed one night and the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. It is a lovely old hotel with a lot of history. The breakfast was very good. The location was wonderful, just steps away from shopping and a good pub. Our room was facing Eyre Square. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Facing the Eyre Square
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to express your views on your stay at the Hotel Meyrick. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got to experience the services we provide here at the hotel.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Meyrick in the near future

The Management Team,
Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay in the Meyrick Hotel in Galway. I had a lovely time staying here. Our room was really nice over looking Eyre Square. Very central location. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The lesuire suite was lovely, especially the hot tub on the roof! Will stay here again if I am visiting Galway. The valet service was excellent, didnt have to think about parking. Really loved Galway and cant wait to go back. Would really recommend this hotel to people.

Room Tip: ask for a room over looking the square!!
1 Thank KateStar
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience from your stay here at the Hotel Meyrick. We at the Hotel Meyrick do appreciate all the comments we receive and we will be sure to pass your kind comments to the various team members within the hotel.

Management Team,