“A place I hope to return to one day”
Review of Galway

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Colorado
2 helpful votes
“A place I hope to return to one day”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Ireland holds many treasures and Galway is one of them. Our family made a trip to visit our daughter (she was studying abroad). We found a very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere upon arriving. We arrived by train from the Dublin airport and were greeted by very helpful people. Our daughter had arranged for a transport to pick us up and take us to our rental. The driver could not have been more helpful and gave us some local information and ideas for our stay. Our accommodations were wonderful and the landlord could not have been more easy going. We had booked our apartment for a week, but the landlord allowed our daughter to meet with him a day early and stay that night for no extra charge. The view from our balcony out over the Galway Bay were magnificent. Sunsets were amazing. The locals were all very helpful and the day trips that can be taken from Galway are amazing. This area has amazing foods, celebrations that seem to be going on all the time, a farmers market that can't be beat, terrific little shops, and just wonderful people. The grounds and faculty of the National University of Ireland-Galway are impressive to say the least. I am not a person that easily relaxes and I found myself becoming so accustomed to the relaxed atmosphere that I can honestly say I hated to leave. The only thing that you need to be aware of is that unless you rent a vehicle you will either need to travel by taxi or bus as many things are spread out within the city. I have already started to save for a trip back to Ireland and although I will be seeing other areas the next time...I will make sure to find my way back to this wonderful area during my return.

2 Thank Salley2180
Vancouver, Canada
73 helpful votes
“Arus Grattan Apartments, Salthill County Galway”
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Our first trip to Ireland was for a month. We were looking for a city and area that would represent the culture well and show the beauty of the land. We chose Galway City as it is around 80,000 with a university and some stunning walks and views and pizazz in general.

We searched the Internet and came upon Arus Gratten Apartments in Salthill. After contact by email and questions answered we made a deposit many months in advance and booked in for most of the month of June 2010.

We were stunned by the beauty of the area, the quality of the apartments and the sheer convenience for walking, transit, groceries and Guinness.

The host was fantastic at serving our needs and answering questions and much was prepared ahead of time in the way of information.

From this beautiful place of Salthill we were able to walk to the centre of Galway easily. We also were picked up and dropped off when we ventured to Aran Islands and the Cliffs of Moher. We did many local things as well including the weekly markets, the Claddagh and cruising the River Corrib.

My thanks to the host and owner of Arus Gratten and my apologies for taking so long to write this. You truly made a long lost person of Irish descent feel right at home.

Salthill is truly charming, convenient, fun and beautiful and your accommodations first class at a fair price.

Thank you Mr. T.

PS
I highly recommend the boutique tour through Faherty tours to Connemara and the Aran Islands. The owner is an excellent host and you will see things you do not see on larger tours.

Thank you all!

2 Thank CityMice
Staffordshire
1 helpful vote
“Irish Holiday”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Acton's Beachside Caravan & Camping Park-Claddaghduff,Clifden
We spent 4 lovely nights at this park in our Motorhome. Myself, my husband and 3 dogs had a wonderful time as the site meets the sea and there are lovely walks along the beach.
The facilities are basic but clean. Electric hook-ups are available. Kris, who runs the site is very helpful. We hope one day to return.

1 Thank mary02Staffordshire
devon
2 helpful votes
“ACTON'S BEACHSIDE CARAVAN AND CAMPING PARK”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I stayed at Acton's in august 2010, with the family. This was our first time in ireland, what a country! And then we got to the campsite, I couldn't have wished for more. Very relax, and peaceful. It is a very safe place for kids, and will easily entertain them without too much trouble. The beach is very clean, and the water is refreshing! The toilets and shower, although not of the fancy nature, are cleaned every day, and you are never waiting for someone to come out.
If your in to your walking or fishing then this is the place for you. Miles of unpopulated beaches and coast line to walk around, and lots of mountain walking in the conomara national park. The sea fishing is out of this world, more bite's then i've had anywhere else!
All in all I can safely say the whole family had a fantastic time, and cant wait to go back again.

2 Thank bikinbean
Ireland
2 helpful votes
“Visit during Galway Races”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I stayed in the apartments the week of the Galway races- the apartment was fabulous- modern , clean, great value for money
Beautiful view, over looking the sea - convenient to Galway city centre-
cant wait to go back again! Highly recommended!!!!

2 Thank SAndFitzIreland

Been to Galway? Share your experiences!