“Georgian charm opposite the Tralee roses garden”
Review of Finnegan's Hostel

Finnegan's Hostel
Ranked #13 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Tralee
Reviewed 7 November 2017

I missed my bus and unexpectedly found this jewel. Lovely period rooms right in the centre of town over looking the Tralee roses garden. Delightful Victorian tea rooms with home cooking wafting like a trip back in time. I stayed in the Brendan Behan room, could not believe my luck to find a room like that in the budget category.
A big thanks to all of the really friendly staff their.
"I'll be back"

Room Tip: I loved the Brendan Behan room looking onto Victorian Tralee
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 October 2017

The bed bugs in the dorm bed. Very intimidating manager when we talked to her. Refused to admit was bedbugs. Even when shown dead ones or pictures of them on phone. Said was allergy to detergent. Well this detergent left bites that swelled on maybe 30 places on my body. Night staff gave wrong time for breakfast, we were told it was served after we were leaving. We went to town to buy stuff for next day. In morning breakfast was there well before time we were told. Wifi only in some areas. We arrived at 6 pm and our room was not ready. No maps, no office, no suggestions for dinner. Manager rude. We have never reviewed poorly anywhere we have stayed before.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - very rude staff and awful conditions.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Please don’t waste your money on this house of horrors!!!!! On our arrival and after introducing myself, the owner told me that you pay straight away!!!! I did think this slightly strange but proceeded anyway paying by card. Walking upstairs to our room and looking around I had a sinking feeling thinking this place does not in any way resemble what I looked at/read about online! How I only wish I came to trip advisor!!!! The reviews on booking.com were good enough so didn’t think I had to bother!!!!! How badly wrong was I!!!!! By the time we had reached our room I was actually scared of what was on the other side of the door!!!! The room smelt musty, the window was broken and being held open by a piece of wood, the toilet seat was broken, there was no toilet roll!!!!! I was scared to sit on the bed never mind sleep in it!!!! I would not have let my dogs stay in this room!!!!! Felt like bursting into tears!!!! Across the hallway another room had the door open and there was a dirt nappy at the door in view for other guests to see!!!!!! We immediately went back downstairs asked for a refund so we could leave. I couldn’t be issued with a refund straightaway as I had paid by card and the amount was pending, the owner told me to cancel the booking via Booking.com and she would issue my refund when my payment had cleared.... I paid 120 euros for a 2 night stay, after numerous phones calls, (on one occasion the owner actually told me when I rang she was busy having her lunch and couldn’t deal with my call!!!!) messages and being in contact with Booking.com in took me 2 months to actually get a refund of only 40 euros!!!!

STAY CLEAR I LEARNED THE HARD WAY!!!!!!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nikki M
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Finnegan's Hostel: one word of advice, just don't do it to yourself. Life is too short. Read the reviews for yourself. The lady who runs this hostel takes pride in rudeness. If there is a bench in Tralee, go for it over this. It's truly the pits. Worst Hostel ever.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank A N
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed in Finnegans on my birthday, and have been absolutely covered in insect bites all over my body since, which have been very itchy and necessitated procuring anthisan anthistamine treatment to bring down the swelling!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo