“Beautiful Castle With Lots Of Cool Cannons At The Top!”
Review of Cahir Castle

Cahir Castle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This imposing 15th-century castle was long a military stronghold.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I fell in love with this place a number of years ago when I hadn't even visited it. Each time my bus passed here I would always see the very picturesque castle at the corner of the junction on my way to Limerick.
However, I never actually visited, until recently.
There are quite a few beautiful cannons as well as the wonderful Suir River running by! Have a look at the pictures to see for yourselves!

All reviews
"lovely walk"
"entrance fee"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Really enjoyed this visit. So many rooms, buildings, staircases and tunnels. Kids loved it! Dungeons were a bit creepy but other than that very interesting. Didn’t realize so many movies/scenes were shot here! Well worth the visit

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The first thing I would like to mention is how helpful the staff were, nothing was too much trouble for them. My wife is a wheelchair user and I asked female member of staff, Hazel, about using the disabled parking space in the car park opposite the castle. The car park is owned by the local council and Hazel took the trouble to call the council offices and arrange temporary access to the car park for us.

The castle itself is like something from a picture book. Sadly they're are no longer guided tours run by the OPW staff, I first visited the castle back in 2003 and was fortunate enough to do the tour then. Other than that minor quibble an excellent place to visit. A male member of staff, whose name I sadly didn't catch, proved to be the soul of hospitality and even brought the key to the Great Hall for us to examine. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 February 2018

We had a big day on the road on this day so we were here at 7 am in the morning so we went for a walk around the outside of the castle and took some photos. There was a river which went around part of the castle which was like a moat even with beautiful white swans , also around a little further there is all these carved wooden sculptures that you can interact with. So it was a bit disappointing that we were to early but if the outside activities are anything to go by it will be fantastic.

1  Thank Brian J
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 February 2018

We had stayed at Kilcoran Lodge Hotel, 10 minutes away and they were advertising this at reception, so before heading home to Cork, we popped in and very glad we did. Although a Sunday morning in February, this OPW property was open for business and had many visitors. Really interesting castle. Wear flat shoes for the cobblestones and the narrow steps while ascending stairs to higher levels.