“all the poor reviews are so right. disgusting... worst place we have stayed”
Review of Ashley House Hotel

Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We booked this room as we were attending a last minute family party and it was the only room we could find, due to the flower show being on. Arrived at reception, to find it deserted. just a pile of keys on top of cards with your name on, and a note to say we had to ring a number. Was told over the phone that we were in room 6 which was up 4 flights of stairs We had to find our own way there.. The door to our room, looked dirty and shoddy, but we thought it didn't matter as we just needed somewhere to sleep for the night, so we didn't need the Ritz. Entered the room and noticed that 2 beds had been pushed together on one side and the bedside cabinets that should have been on either side, where on one side of the bed. As i needed the loo after our journey, i went straight to the bathroom. Noticed the sanitary sticker that normally seals the loo seat, looked old and unsealed. Lifted the seat to find it used and unflushed. Great!!! Above the sink were 2 glasses, both were stuck to the surface and filthy, as though someone had stored toothbrushes in them for months. Took them down and gave them to a lady and asked for replacements. She then gave them to a man, telling him they hadnt been cleaned. They must have been in that room for months! She then asked if i would pay. Geez talk about giving you time to check in. Went back to the room and decided to dump our stuff and go out for a bit. On our return, there was nobody around so went up to our room. No replacement glasses. looking around more closely, i noticed what was either blood or dried tomato sauce stuck to one of the besdide cabinets, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, clumps of cobweb stuck to the dressing table area, the floor mat hanging over the bath, was grubby. Lifted the slip mat from out of the bath to find hairs in the bath. The bed looked ok, but the valance had food stuck to it, One of the pillows, was thick yellow from sweat, so i chucked it in the wardrobe, One of the hand towels had black marks all over it, where someone had dried dirty hands. There was wallpaper hanging off the walls too. As we could not move anywhere else, we had to stay put. We decided to have a coffee.. The Kettle had food stuck to the lid, and the plug did not reach the socket so had to be placed on the floor. Went to put sugar in cups, only to find that the sugar sachets, were rock hard, with yellow stains on. Think someone must have spilled coffee or tea on them and left them to dry, so we decided to go without and have water from the other glasses left on the tea tray, but no, these too were filthy.
Thought we would watch tv, Turned it on, and oh dear, the sound was distorted on all channels. everyone sounded like those murderers who ring the police and muffle their voices.
We then noticed that not only had the beds been pushed up to the wall, but a 2 seater sofa and chair had been placed at the foot of the bed, making it impossible for anyone sleeping on the inside, to get out of bed without climbing over the person on the other side.
We decided to go out and only come back when we were too tired to care. Came back around 10.30 pm, to the stink of some unknown food. Walked past the kitchen/room, to see the staff sitting eating. The smell went all the way up the stair and made my stomach heave. The huge dog was also there and started barking. Managed to get some sleep and got up early and went downstairs to go out for a walk. Noticed that all the fire doors which read "keep clear", were propped open by chairs. We left as soon as we could. Cost us £70 for the night. This place needs shutting down, dirty smelly, disgusting and a health risk!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you are a vagrant and dont care about where you sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nodwas

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked a double room at the Ashley House for 1 ngt. While I was waiting outside with my car (Due to parking permits) My partner entered the Building to find a telephone with 2 numbers to dial to make contact with the owner. After a lengthy conversation he was asked to take the key of the counter and the telephone was put down. Nobody advised him where the room was, after 5-10 minutes searching the house he eventually found our room. He then returned back to me outside and told me I better come inside before un-loading the car. When I got into the house I couldn't believe my eyes , I have never seen anything like it in my life!!! It was like an abandoned house that had been burgled. The smell was dreadful and it was so dirty it was unbearable My partner took me to our room , I was speechless the bed hadn't been made and dirt was within the covers. The pillows still had head marks in them from the person who had slept in the bed before. There where used, wet towels all over the floor and bed, it was absolutely disgusting. We called the phone again and told the lady we was leaving and wanted a refund straight away. As we was leaving a family with 2 small children was arriving , there also couldn't believe their eyes. We luckily got a double room at the holiday inn with our friends :)We later discovered that the family who was booking in as we was leaving Ashley house had also asked for a refund and got a room at the holiday inn. What makes the experience worse, the weekend in Harrogate was my birthday present for my partners birthday and it was the first time we had left our 10 month old daughter over night with grandparents. Please, please don't book this guest house under any circumstances. I wouldn't even let a dog sleep it such scowler !!!

Room Tip: Don't Stop At This Guest House !!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hewy1981
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Other reviews are insane. This is lovely hotel. Staff are very helpful and informative excellent location. And clean room with everything you need, very comfortable and clean room and good night sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Lukejrkay
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed a the Ashley house in harrogate and it was lovely . The lady booking us in was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. She made it a lovely weekend. The room was very nice and clean with a large tv. And access to straighteners and dryers etc in room. Room very comfy and and had a pleasant night sleep. Very homely cottagey feel. And so close to town to walk. Very central but not on top of noise I will definately be booking here next time I come to harrogate.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

So I booked at another B&B over the road, however they rang me and said they have "upgraded" me to the Ashley house! If this was an upgrade I dread to think what the other B&B was like!
On my arrival there was a huge dog, which i am not fond of anyway barking at me. At this point I thought i would be polite! Then I was asked to pay in full before seeing my room, (I was actually asked to pay more than £47 per night without breakfast) which if I saw my "upgraded" room I would of ran for my life. I stopped in room 11 - the sauna! Awful room black stuff everywhere, it stank! The bed was quite comfy like, think that is the only positive here. Then at 7.07am the Chinese lady tried to get into my room, 7.07am??? Really???
I wasn't expecting much for the price, however if I was to stay there again, they would have to pay me!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo