“I didn't know there was anything this bad in Harrogate”
Review of Ashley House Hotel

Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

In general, dirty and squalid. This was just a run-down house, I didn't want to touch anything. On the plus side, I didn't need a wake up call as there was no real curtain so I woke up with the daylight.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, make sure they don't farm you out to their "sister" property.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Phil E

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked two nights in this hotel as bed and breakfast through the late booking room website.
I arrived at 2230 and there was no one in the reception! They have left the key with a note for me to read and find my own room. On the morning, I realised that there was no breakfast to be served! Hotel apologised that there are no longer able to provide breakfast for any user. Regarding the room, it is clean with comfortable bed but there were major issues related to the room. The smell of carpet is offal. There is no telephone in the room. There is a kettle in the room, if you switch it on the TV switches off! Wi-Fi one night was not available and the other night I was unable to use.

The hotel is very well placed but with an extremely very poor management. The place is a walking distance from the city center and train station. This not a place you would advise anyone to stay in and it is not for families. With the same room price, you would be able to book in far much better hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ray m
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lol. What can I say. Awful disgusting rude unhelpful. Let's put it this way. The woman who owns it clearly didn't go to business school as she hasn't. the first clue about running a business. We needed up here because every where else was booked. Loved Harrogate. Loved the people the atmosphere etc but this hotel is hideous. Will NEVER EVER EVER EVER STEP FOOT IN THE PLACE EVER AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE. rude and unhelpful is what springs to mind. NO TOWELS NO HAIR DRYER. we were given a room which already had guests checked in. If you think ahh we just need somewhere to stay and it doesn't matter. You would be better kipping in your car. Straight up. It's awful !!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Mart121
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We have avoided B and B's for many years but we're won over by the many positive reviews we saw about Ashley House.We stayed two nights and without doubt we could find no fault.The room was beautiful and well appointed.It was extraordinarily clean,not that we were playing Four in a Bed but it would have to have scored 10.Breakfast was a perfect combination of fresh fruit salad and an amazingly locally sourced full English.
Nicky,the host was wonderful and converted us to the concept of B and B which we had avoided in favour of often much less pleasing 4 and 5 star hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ernestoxford
Reviewed 28 April 2014

April 2014
I booked a double room for 1 night for my wife and myself.
On arrival the first thing you notice is the bad smell. The landlady insisted on payment first. I paid by debit card and then went to the room. The bathroom was filthy the glasses and cups dirty, the curtains in the bedroom dirty with burn marks and the window frames black with dirt. She offered to clean the place and went away to get cleaning materials and started to clean the room while I watched.
I said I cannot stay here and asked for my money back. She got quite nasty and refused point blank.
Despite not getting our money back we could not stay there and went to Grants hotel on Swan road which was great.
Avoid the Ashley at all costs.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple