Bolton Whites Hotel
  • Restaurant
The Mercury(Westhoughton)
  • Restaurant
1,389 results
All reviewspitch view roomfootball pitchpenthouse suitepitch sidebolton wanderersde vere whitesretail parkleisure facilitieslovely hotelsteam roombusiness tripmatch daysfootball matchgood sizereception staffplenty of parkingbar area
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Quality room, good food, friendly staff and great massage arranged in the evening when the day is normally closed so appreciated the therapist being flexible. Room service charge was very reasonable and as i was travelling alone i appreciated this as i didn't need to go to the bar/restaurant and was tired after a long journey.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Whites1, Front Office Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are glad to hear that your stay with us was a comfortable one and we look forward to welcoming you back to Whites in the future.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

we had a great stay in the pitch side room, and the meals were very good, including the superb breakfast. we will be back next year to again experience the atmosphere. we also found that the location was brilliant for shopping all around the area to the ground. plus, the easy access from the motorway to and from the Hotel was very good, and most welcoming after a long journey. and finally the great service from all staff was excellent. thanks.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Whites next year if not before!!!

Reviewed 25 March 2018

My company thought they paid my room, so the reception sent a form for my company to fill out and sort out the payment. The reception still let me check in, which is very professional: I've already encountered the same issue in the past, and some hotels made that experience awful (e.g. refusing to let me check in until they hear back from my company), whereas the Bolton Whites hotel handled the misunderstanding very well.

The hotel was quiet that night. My room was spacious and classy, I liked the blue colour. However, when I pulled the curtains, I had a awkward surprise: the room view is on... the hotel hallway. It's the first time I got such a room, I was shocked and found it funny at the same time. There were lots of storage, a coffee/tea service and an iron in the room.

The bathroom was also spacious, but looked a bit worn, I wasn't impressed: the bedroom was majestic, whereas the bathroom was totally basic, the difference was noticeable. Everything was still working, though. The bed was very comfortable, and my sleep wasn't bothered despite the awkward window.

I dined at The Grill. The waitress who served me all long was very nice and professional, the place was comfortable.

The Lancashire squash soup with a pumpkin seed relish was simple but delicious. I wish the Dukesmoor beef tartare with charcoal mayonnaise was a main, because the starter portion is small, while I enjoyed it. It was slightly different from most French tartares, but still enjoyable. I'm not sure toasts was a good side to accompany it, maybe softer bread would work better? The sauce was very special, it tasted like the black Vietnamese sauce, bringing back some unexpected memories.

I had some tea to finish. The tea pot was very well-design: a transparent tea pot letting you see all the tea colour and the leaves. It was also the first time I saw tea served with lemon and honey... very thoughtful! Most restaurants just put sugars and milk, but here was perfect.

The breakfast is a buffet, mixing English and continental breakfast. Although the choice is large, for dining several times in Ireland, I can say the food quality isn't as great as the Irish breakfast: the main heroes (sausages, hash browns, etc.) were present but the taste didn't equal the Irish. It's still probably fine for most people, though, and was still good, but not as good as the Irish.

Overall, excellent hotel, nice staff, nice room, nice food, but maybe ask for another room than the ones with the hallway view, unless you're okay having the curtains closed all the time, and hopefully you've never had Irish breakfast before.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2018

An enjoyable stay but some inconsistencies. Staff were generally friendly and helpful but there were some inconsistencies around what could and couldn't be charged to the room, why did reception say the credit card could be left open but then told later that this couldn't be used to order wine for the table at the function, particularly as I used the same credit card to pay?

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I will be looking into as to why you were not able to charge back to your room from the function as this is something that we do. We just ask that you show your signature card that is given to you on check in.
I am truly sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

We hope to welcome you back to Whites in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

The rooms are just a bit dated. Don't get me wrong, they are very functional and they have just about everything (apart from a minibar or complementary bottled water), but all of that cheap wood trim on the units just reminds me of a Premier Inn. Also the cold stone slab floor in the bathroom with no supplied slippers or dressing gowns will be a deal breaker for some.

Otherwise the hotel just about has it all. A fantastic bar and restaurant, fitness suite, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, its just great. The breakfast has enough to keep most English people happy with a full English and cereals, pastries, breads, fruit, etc., though continentals may be missing some cold meats, cheeses, boiled eggs, salad, etc.

Personally I'd stay here again because there are so many positives, but I'd be so much happier if they gave the rooms the refurbish that they deserve.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are aware some areas of the hotel are tired and in need of a revamp.
I can assure you this is very high on our agenda but a very lengthily process.

I will ensure your feedback is forwarded on and we look forward to welcoming you back to Whites in the near future.

Kind regards